Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unified AutoPilot activation method request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
My 2018 Tesla Model 3 was one of the first vehicles to activate AP and FSD by pulling down the gear shift stalk. Not hard to get used to as no previous car had Auto Pilot, but now I own an older Model X too and I keep finding myself doing the same maneuver in that car. Or in a panic disengaging AP with the gear selector both of which don't cause the car to break (maybe shift into Neutral) but they also don't perform the action I was expecting. I am slowly learning to use the AP selector stalk on the other side of the wheel, but I don't understand why Tesla hasn't mapped the AP enable and disengage to the gear selector too. I can't be the only one that moves between two similar age cars that otherwise have all the same controls.

Sure, the right scroll wheel on the steering is mapped to another function on the S/X but that's not the gear selector and it's not the most important function of AP, although I would argue that they could also remap the adjust Max Speed feature to include that control, thus removing the reason for the AP stalk in the car (other than redundancy for those that are used to it). Heck, give it to us as a selectable feature if you must but it's too weird having two (now three) ways of activating AP in various Tesla vehicles.