Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot/FSD Pedestrian Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember, it's proof "beyond a reasonable doubt" (generally considered to be >90%). Not "more probably than not" (51%). That's a high bar. Anyway, I'm not claiming to support any of these ideas, just playing devil's advocate! đź‘ż
That will be a possible argument.
What he said in the initial interview with police will be telling. Did he say he was unaware of striking anything? Or of striking a person?
Tough to claim he was unaware of striking anything when you repair your car.

Also, as I recall, the police report mentioned the person struck was on the hood of the car for about 1000 feet! If that is the case, that is 12 seconds at 60mph (I don't know how fast the car was going). I just can't see this going well for the guy.

Reactions: rlsd and sleepydoc
Remember, it's proof "beyond a reasonable doubt" (generally considered to be >90%). Not "more probably than not" (51%). That's a high bar. Anyway, I'm not claiming to support any of these ideas, just playing devil's advocate! đź‘ż
oh, I know! Evidently they have some hair samples they got from the driver's mirror - if those turn out to match the victim I don't think there's any credible way someone could claim they didn't know they hit a person. Either way, as a driver of a Tesla there's no way I can fathom someone making the claims he made.

The other factor at play for a defense lawyer is strategizing for a plea. Even if they know there's virtually no chance for acquittal, the more they can muddy the water and make the case even a little less iron clad the more likely they are to get favorable plea terms.

What a crock. Hopefully he gets a lengthy prison sentence. (However when the Catholic Bishop of Phoenix O’Brien did almost the same thing twenty years ago, he also claimed he didn’t know he’d hit anyone though the windshield was caved in —and he never even reported the incident. The cops traced the car to his garage! The scumbag only got a few years of probation.)

Last edited:
Reactions: rlsd