Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uk plug charging now 13amps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_5054.jpeg
I was checking my car charging this evening and it now seems to support the full 13 amps? See screenshot.
I’ve been charging my car at home using the 3pin charger for the past 4 years (using heavy duty cables from the plug socket) and it’s always been stuck at 10 amps which I understand is a safety feature.
I’ve bumped it back down to 10 just because it’s probably safer but wondering if anyone else has seen this and if this is normal or indicative of a faulty charger. Thanks!

The 10 A is due to electrical 80% of rated 13 A current for continuous use (10.4 A really) recommendation. The fuse itself (presuming 13 A) can take around x1.3 current (fusing factor, depends) for a limited lifetime, eventually failing. Realistically though there’ll be excess heat and if power circuit is sufficient to dissipate that it may be fine.

I did notice an increase in speed. I only charge at night using the cheaper rate 12-7am and looking at the Stats app, it put in a fair amount more than the previous charge cycles that took place the nights before which would indicate it only started doing this recently. Stats shows a charge speed usually hovering around 9-10 miles/hour now says 12 miles/hour when at 13A. See below for the increase compared to previous sessions:

IMG_5056.jpeg

As you can see, I usually get just over 13-14kWh added over the 7 hour charge window which makes sense - 225V x 10A x 7 hours = 15.75kWh so that figure adds up if you assume some losses. This time this was more like 18-19kWh.

I've dropped it down to 10A as I've read elsewhere it's best not to got full power for extended periods of time but thought I'd bring it up since it automatically went to 13A without notification and I haven't seen anyone else mention it. This could potentially be a bad thing in terms of increased risk of damage to the plug/cables involved let alone the increased fire risk.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I suspect Tesla are playing a little fast and loose (for a change) on the basis that they have a thermal probe in the socket, and will be able to de-rate if the socket warms up too much.

Be warned, those using extension cables, that the temperature monitor is only in UMC socket. Best to dial back to 10a at that point. (Telsa don't recommend extension leads...)

I did notice an increase in speed. I only charge at night using the cheaper rate 12-7am and looking at the Stats app, it put in a fair amount more than the previous charge cycles that took place the nights before which would indicate it only started doing this recently. Stats shows a charge speed usually hovering around 9-10 miles/hour now says 12 miles/hour when at 13A. See below for the increase compared to previous sessions:

View attachment 980832

As you can see, I usually get just over 13-14kWh added over the 7 hour charge window which makes sense - 225V x 10A x 7 hours = 15.75kWh so that figure adds up if you assume some losses. This time this was more like 18-19kWh.

I've dropped it down to 10A as I've read elsewhere it's best not to got full power for extended periods of time but thought I'd bring it up since it automatically went to 13A without notification and I haven't seen anyone else mention it. This could potentially be a bad thing in terms of increased risk of damage to the plug/cables involved let alone the increased fire risk.

It would be interesting if another Tesla owner who routinely uses the UMC with 3 pin plug could corroborate this issue. It's a strange one. It could even be an individual UMC fault as I understand it communicates with the car to set the max amps. It could be worth trying someone else's UMC to see if it's the car or the unit itself.

Reactions: M1tch
🤣🤣🤣

It's the mobile charger that came with my UK 2019 SR+. Interesting that Italy allows higher continuous draw even though their mains plugs are tiny compared to ours, even the Swiss ones are slightly beefier than Italian plugs. Maybe because it's been living outside for the past 4 years it's starting to mis-behave ... will try another mobile charger that's been kept indoors (it's my travel charger) and see what it does.

I only use my Granny for charging though if on a long trip then its the superchargers, I don't have a dedicated EV charger and don't need one.
I fitted a new MK socket which is dedicated to the Granny Charger direct from the consumer unit because there may be wear within any old socket simply because plugs are shoved in and out many many times with some sockets and of course that induces wear - and wear within a socket manifests as heat.
My settings are on 10A though I haven't looked to check that remains true - but I will the next time I put the car on charge and will see if i can up mine to 13amp and monitor the socket for any signs of additional heat.

I do note recently there is a range of 13 amp sockets specifically for EV charging on a three pin plug - they are a bit expensive in comparison to a standard MK double socket - which is only a fiver. If I get my hands on one i will take it to bits just to see what the difference is inside.

2.5mm twin and earth - the cable that is used for ring mains is safe for up to about 30 amps, armoured cable 2.5 though is rated a bit higher - so providing the socket is new and the feed cable is in good condition it should be safe to drive the granny at 13 amps, and if you have or can borrow a thermal image camera you can compare the difference in heat between 10 and 13 amps.

🤣🤣🤣

It's the mobile charger that came with my UK 2019 SR+. Interesting that Italy allows higher continuous draw even though their mains plugs are tiny compared to ours, even the Swiss ones are slightly beefier than Italian plugs. Maybe because it's been living outside for the past 4 years it's starting to mis-behave ... will try another mobile charger that's been kept indoors (it's my travel charger) and see what it does.

Yes, it always surprises me that standard European plugs (Schuko) are rated to 16 amps 'cause they seem weedy and wibbly wobbly to me (note the use of technical terms here)! Ours always appear to be built like a tank in comparison but are sometimes let down by the internal fuse holding connection.

I do note recently there is a range of 13 amp sockets specifically for EV charging on a three pin plug - they are a bit expensive in comparison to a standard MK double socket - which is only a fiver. If I get my hands on one i will take it to bits just to see what the difference is inside.

I suspect you will find no physical difference other than the letters EV printed on it. iirc, sockets that can be used for car charging should now carry the EV sticker according to the regs.

Regulation 722.55.101.0.201.1 of BS 7671:2018+A1:2020, requires each AC charging point to incorporate a socket-outlet complying with BS 1363-2, to be marked ‘EV’ on its rear. BS 1363-2 requires EV marked socket-outlets used for charging electric vehicles to be subjected to additional testing requirements.

It would be interesting if another Tesla owner who routinely uses the UMC with 3 pin plug could corroborate this issue. It's a strange one. It could even be an individual UMC fault as I understand it communicates with the car to set the max amps. It could be worth trying someone else's UMC to see if it's the car or the unit itself.
Limited to 10A for me, not ever seen anything higher - only use UMC... running SW version 2023.32.6

Reactions: Adopado