Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging using 32amp Commando and mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well, my main house breaker is 100 A

I think that is "default" capacity for new (relatively) builds.. Well my house was built in 2014

Here's an example...

If you do a Search on Google. Western Power had text in the results that said upgrade your Home to 80A or 100A.

But when you now click on the link, it takes you to the National Grid website... which only states 80A... no mention of 100A anymore.

Screenshot_20230616_135852_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230616_135917_Chrome.jpg

No heating or cooling and no lighting through the night.

No electronics chewing up Watts just sitting there?

RCB tripped yesterday - only found out when someone texted me to say they were standing on the doorstep and had been pressing the doorbell!

Didn't realise which RCB until I went to bed in the dark and found light switches not working ... this morning I have 20% more in my PowerWalls than normal!

How did we find a torch without a flat battery / candle & matches, in the old days, when the lights went out? Phone-with-light in trouser pocket is a huge improvement ...

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Fridge, that’s it really unless the car is charging.

No heating or cooling and no lighting through the night.

We have 103 connected WiFi devices, Four Freezers, Two Fridges, Heat Pump, two Wifi Mesh Networks, Firewalls & failover powered satellite dish, every single plug socket & light switch is powered 100% 24/7

That's our base load.

Then we have the heavy hitters on top of that...

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMod3
With a few exceptions, we turn stuff off at the wall when it’s not in use. Saves a lot of power when you add it all up. We’ve also been pretty brutal at cutting out unnecessary IOT devices that don’t really do anything particularly useful. While individually they don’t use much power, when you have 20+ all going 24/7, it’s a significant power draw.

We have 103 connected WiFi devices, Four Freezers, Two Fridges, Heat Pump, two Wifi Mesh Networks, Firewalls & failover powered satellite dish, every single plug socket & light switch is powered 100% 24/7

That's our base load.

Crikey, do you have a corner shop mini market with all those freezers?

Four Freezers

We grow our own veg, and have excess (that might not be your reason though ...). Storing that, for the off-season, comes up for debate each year. I have toyed with buying a dehydrator (the sort of thing that costs-quite-a-lot, rather than a warm air fan!). But we bought powdered dried veg, to see how we would get on with it (in soups etc.) and it didn't get used much ... so I'm not sure we would actually use dried fruit and veg.

But I might give up resisting more freezers so we can accommodate the abundance interseasonally. The cost of the freezer is one thing, the running cost 24/7/365 is something different. In Summer it uses PV and costs nothing, so I just need a power source for Winter. Wish I'd bought a house by a fast flowing river ...

it is actually double that at 0.2 kW … is that close to what other people see
Nope, definitely not. I'm nearer to 2kW :(

That's our base load.

We are in competition @PITA.

We too have over 100 Wi-Fi devices and 15 to be added shortly in the consumer unit as well as two Powerwalls, 2 x heat pumps, immersion heater, and the usual DW, induction hob, oven and WM as well as CCTV, Starlink and 4 x 32A chargers....all running on single phase, but not all at once. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: PITA
We are in competition @PITA.

We too have over 100 Wi-Fi devices and 15 to be added shortly in the consumer unit as well as two Powerwalls, 2 x heat pumps, immersion heater, and the usual DW, induction hob, oven and WM as well as CCTV, Starlink and 4 x 32A chargers....all running on single phase, but not all at once. 😂

Just having fun and enjoying life 😀 😍 🤩

Reactions: RedMod3
But I might give up resisting more freezers so we can accommodate the abundance interseasonally. The cost of the freezer is one thing, the running cost 24/7/365 is something different. In Summer it uses PV and costs nothing, so I just need a power source for Winter. Wish I'd bought a house by a fast flowing river ...

You may already know this, so my apologies in advance if you do...

... but adding more chest freezers can require seperate 13A sockets for each one.

We added a new ring onto the Consumer unit with fused spurs for this.

Just don't chuck them all on the same extension lead with tumble dryers etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
... and there is a vast variation in consumption between different households. We would not challenge that single phase limitation even if we were allowed 2 X 7kW chargers combined with our normal household usage, but there's no guarantee. If the usage was limited to nighttime hours we could run 3 X 7kW chargers without exceeding that limit since we don't go over 0.1kW for everything else ... but the calculations have to take account of different scenarios even if they don't happen in our own household. If we end up with electric heating in the future then that's a totally different ball game.
So rolling back to the original statement.

The way that electrical load is calculated really has nothing to do with what you have on when, it's what the probably load is.
And it doesn't matter what you do at night vs day.
Your electrical system doesn't have the ability to say, if appliance A is on, then I can't use appliance B.

The way that things are calculated for load, it's not how low you can go, it's how high can you go.

Reactions: TechnoWatch