Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestions to extend mobile charger length

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge a Model S in the garage with a mobile charger. 1450 Nema socket. No problems in 7 years.

We now want to also change my wife’s Y in the garage. Current mobile charger just reaches her car but it’s tight. I feel it may be too much stress and looking to extend the current 24’ length with either an appropriate extension cord or something like a Lecton EV charger extension.

Primary concern is safety. I see where Lecton type extensions are much more than a simple extension cord but cost isn’t my major concern

Thoughts and suggestions??
BTW, I’ve considered adding a 2nd plug but don’t prefer that route unless someone can convince me to go that way

I charge a Model S in the garage with a mobile charger. 1450 Nema socket. No problems in 7 years.

We now want to also change my wife’s Y in the garage. Current mobile charger just reaches her car but it’s tight. I feel it may be too much stress and looking to extend the current 24’ length with either an appropriate extension cord or something like a Lecton EV charger extension.

Primary concern is safety. I see where Lecton type extensions are much more than a simple extension cord but cost isn’t my major concern

Thoughts and suggestions??
BTW, I’ve considered adding a 2nd plug but don’t prefer that route unless someone can convince me to go that way
The correct thing to do here would be to install a HPWC (or even 2) as that's what they were designed for: permanent use. The next best thing would be to add a 2nd outlet and possibly even a 2nd UMC but I understand not wanting to do that for whatever reason. The simplest solution, given your parameters, would be something like this:

I bought it may years ago when it was less expensive but, for what it is, it's still not a bad price. It will be the easiest to just plug in and not worry about adding additional resistance and it also gives you additional options when you're traveling. I bought the Tesla adapters and made my own for all of the common plug receptacles in the US and the NEMA 14-50 is the basis for lots of my 240v adapters. I don't think it's really necessary these days with how expansive the Supercharger network is but if you venture off of the beaten path more (as we do) then it's nice to have peace-of-mind.

If you have zero intention on ever doing something like this and you really only need a couple of feet then you can use a shorter extension cord if they're out there. I wouldn't go too much thinner on the copper inside though as that's your safety net. Know that utilizing extension cords of ANY type or size isn't approved by Tesla (with good reason) so you have to be super careful with what you're doing and make sure you fully understand the dangers associated with such a thing and why Tesla doesn't recommend it.

Honestly though, if you own two Teslas you really should look into adding two HPWC as it's the correct path forward. Now that NACS has become the de facto EV standard it will be something that could be seen as a bonus whenever it comes time to sell your house too so it's not a lost investment. Being as you live in OC I'm sure a high percentage of potential buyers would place value in it being EV-ready.

ETA: I found this one that's only 5ft that may fit your needs a little bit better: https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Extension-Cord-Amp-Organizer/dp/B0CJYBXKGP/ref=sr_1_5
(Note: I have zero affiliation with either of these sellers other than having owned the first one for 5 or 6 years now w/good luck)

Last edited:
The correct thing to do here would be to install a HPWC (or even 2) as that's what they were designed for: permanent use. The next best thing would be to add a 2nd outlet and possibly even a 2nd UMC but I understand not wanting to do that for whatever reason. The simplest solution, given your parameters, would be something like this:

I bought it may years ago when it was less expensive but, for what it is, it's still not a bad price. It will be the easiest to just plug in and not worry about adding additional resistance and it also gives you additional options when you're traveling. I bought the Tesla adapters and made my own for all of the common plug receptacles in the US and the NEMA 14-50 is the basis for lots of my 240v adapters. I don't think it's really necessary these days with how expansive the Supercharger network is but if you venture off of the beaten path more (as we do) then it's nice to have peace-of-mind.

If you have zero intention on ever doing something like this and you really only need a couple of feet then you can use a shorter extension cord if they're out there. I wouldn't go too much thinner on the copper inside though as that's your safety net. Know that utilizing extension cords of ANY type or size isn't approved by Tesla (with good reason) so you have to be super careful with what you're doing and make sure you fully understand the dangers associated with such a thing and why Tesla doesn't recommend it.

Honestly though, if you own two Teslas you really should look into adding two HPWC as it's the correct path forward. Now that NACS has become the de facto EV standard it will be something that could be seen as a bonus whenever it comes time to sell your house too so it's not a lost investment. Being as you live in OC I'm sure a high percentage of potential buyers would place value in it being EV-ready.

ETA: I found this one that's only 5ft that may fit your needs a little bit better: https://www.amazon.com/Tera-Extension-Cord-Amp-Organizer/dp/B0CJYBXKGP/ref=sr_1_5
(Note: I have zero affiliation with either of these sellers other than having owned the first one for 5 or 6 years now w/good luck)
Thank you for your thoughtful reply and information

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Current mobile charger just reaches her car but it’s tight. I feel it may be too much stress and looking to extend the current 24’ length with either an appropriate extension cord or something like a Lecton EV charger extension.
Unless they've changed it, the Tesla UMC total length is about 18 feet IIRC. The extra six feet of an HPWC would probably cover your needs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H