Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger cable length change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

P100D_Me

Nov 12, 2018
Australia
Hi All, my current wall charger is about 6 years old, there's nothing wrong with it except it came with the short length charging cable which is a problem as I now want to share this charger with another car in the garage.
I see that Tesla now just supply them with a 7.3m cable, I don't suppose anyone knows if you could buy the different length cables as a single item from Tesla?
If not then what I'd like to try to somehow do is find a dead charger with the long lead and swap them over (yes, I know my way around electrical equipment).

I don't want to have to buy a whole new charger or extend the charger lead with a 'dongle' type extension cable.

Thanks.

I have a 63A single phase Tesla supplied Tesla Wall connector (P) TPN:1050069-01-G. I damaged the cable at the cable/handle junction and it could not be repaired. Tesla Australia refuse to supply a replacement cable/handle (they are a single unit with the handle fully filled and bonded to ensure security and safety). They stated: "We do not replace individual components on the Wall Connectors in our market". I therefore tried the wall connector team in US, same result "The charging cable and handle come connected with the Wall Connector, we do not sell them separately". I do find this very odd.

You might want to just purchase a Gen 3 wall connector anyway as it has an inbuilt Type B (DC protection) RCD. Unless your old wall connector has a Type B RCD protecting it in the switchboard, which I can almost guarantee it doesn't, it doesn't meet current safety standards (it may have when it was installed, so its probably perfectly legal).

Hi All, my current wall charger is about 6 years old, there's nothing wrong with it except it came with the short length charging cable which is a problem as I now want to share this charger with another car in the garage.
I see that Tesla now just supply them with a 7.3m cable, I don't suppose anyone knows if you could buy the different length cables as a single item from Tesla?
If not then what I'd like to try to somehow do is find a dead charger with the long lead and swap them over (yes, I know my way around electrical equipment).

I don't want to have to buy a whole new charger or extend the charger lead with a 'dongle' type extension cable.

Thanks.
Don’t know that the newer style cable will fit but I’ve seen a Tesla page where repair parts were sold. I looked but can’t find it right now.

For US power, but how about these?

@LWI too.

Last edited:
Reactions: P100D_Me
fholbert - many thanks. Unfortunately the 63A single phase with a Type 2 Mennekes is a special EU item. The US cables have the Tesla NACS connector, and are not constructed to take the 63A. The damaged cable is a 5 core 6mm2 + 2 core 0.5mm2. They get the 63A single phase capacity by joining the N and one of the phase cables together to create a 12mm2 Neutral, and use the two other phase cores for the active. The 2 data cores are connected right through to the car and connect to a sensor built into the handle. I simply cannot re-create this cable as the normal Mennekes conductors have a 4mm diameter crimped end and will not take the required 2 x cores - Tesla have a unique welded end for these 2 cables. I have ended up with a bespoke 48A single phase connector using a Smartevse controller with bespoke software for both maximum and solar charging. I would love to repair the original Tesla 63A unit.

Reactions: P100D_Me
If all else fails, you could, as you know your way around, move the wall point to an equidistant location.
Unfortunately that won't work.
We have two cars that share the charger, the Tesla charge port on the left side and the charger is mounted pretty much inline with that, the other car has it on the right side. Moving it won't solve the problem, being able to reach the other car with the longer cable from the charger solves everything.

I have a 63A single phase Tesla supplied Tesla Wall connector (P) TPN:1050069-01-G. I damaged the cable at the cable/handle junction and it could not be repaired. Tesla Australia refuse to supply a replacement cable/handle (they are a single unit with the handle fully filled and bonded to ensure security and safety). They stated: "We do not replace individual components on the Wall Connectors in our market". I therefore tried the wall connector team in US, same result "The charging cable and handle come connected with the Wall Connector, we do not sell them separately". I do find this very odd.
That is disappointing, I am sure a dumpster dive at Tesla you'd find plenty in there.😥

You might want to just purchase a Gen 3 wall connector anyway as it has an inbuilt Type B (DC protection) RCD. Unless your old wall connector has a Type B RCD protecting it in the switchboard, which I can almost guarantee it doesn't, it doesn't meet current safety standards (it may have when it was installed, so its probably perfectly legal).
Thankfully it was done right the first time (in 2018), it has a dedicated 32A single phase run back to the switchboard with its own RCD at the switchboard and an isolator on/off switch right above the charger itself.

Thankfully it was done right the first time (in 2018), it has a dedicated 32A single phase run back to the switchboard with its own RCD at the switchboard and an isolator on/off switch right above the charger itself.
It'd be pretty unlikely not have to an RCD at all, they've been required by the wiring rules for years. What @Zoltrix77 was referring to was specifically a Type B RCD which will trip on very low DC fault currents, which are a lot more rare. (Not saying you don't have one!)

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Edit, I was confused please ignore this bit: And I'm not sure why you need a 63A charger if it's only supplied by a 32A circuit.

Agree with the above on type B RCDs. They are quite hard to find and very expensive now. I doubt their availability and cost would have been better in 2018 or that a sparky would install one before they were required for EV charging (either in the switchboard or EVSE.)

PS does anyone know if the UMC detects a DC fault current? I know that the gen 3 wall connector does.

Last edited:
And I'm not sure why you need a 63A charger if it's only supplied by a 32A circuit.

Agree with the above on type B RCDs. They are quite hard to find and very expensive now. I doubt their availability and cost would have been better in 2018 or that a sparky would install one before they were required for EV charging (either in the switchboard or EVSE.)

PS does anyone know if the UMC detects a DC fault current? I know that the gen 3 wall connector does.
Hi GeoQuack - I replied to the OP who wanted to know if Tesla sold Wall Connector cables of specific lengths. My experience to obtain a spare cable for my 63A single phase unit is that both Tesla Au and Tesla US informed me that wall connector cables are not sold separately from the wall connectors. For your information my cabling and protection is sized for 50A which is a selectable current within the 63A unit.

Reactions: GeoQuack