Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable management?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge at work and I mount my own cable each time I start charging using the wall mounted L2 charger with Type 2 plug.

The cable is about 2-3 times longer than it should for this use case and it ends up on the floor.

I can’t mount anything extra on the wall.

I tried an elastic cord to organize the slack into a heavy loop on the charger side but it ends up being in diagonal to my charge port so now my cable rests on my car because I back up to the charger.

I’ve read others use a bicycle stand for this and have the extra cable rest on it.

Wondering if there are any other ways I didn’t consider of taking the slack easy and fast while keeping the charger off the floor and car so it remains clean.

Last edited:
A pic of what you are working with is priceless.
So you supply the mobile charger (UMC) and take this in/out of your trunk every day and plug it into the 240V outlet? Or do you leave it plugged in a semi-permanent location?

Can you mount something to the wall to "hang" the UMC while charging? If so, there are a ton of options from purchasable to 3D printed mounts:

If you can't mount anything to the wall, I'd recommend a waterproof square project box (Pelican makes nice cases) that you could lay on the ground and extend out both plug portions with the appropriate lengths pre-marked on the cable.

Reactions: nemuro
A pic of what you are working with is priceless.
So you supply the mobile charger (UMC) and take this in/out of your trunk every day and plug it into the 240V outlet? Or do you leave it plugged in a semi-permanent location?

Can you mount something to the wall to "hang" the UMC while charging? If so, there are a ton of options from purchasable to 3D printed mounts:

If you can't mount anything to the wall, I'd recommend a waterproof square project box (Pelican makes nice cases) that you could lay on the ground and extend out both plug portions with the appropriate lengths pre-marked on the cable.
Thanks, I edited the initial post to clarify it’s a Type 2 wall mounted charger where I supply my cable (taking it back for the next person to charge) and I can’t add anything to the wall unfortunately.

Sorry, can’t edit the initial post to include the photo. Maybe now it makes more sense.
IMG_0162.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Check out EV Hover. It's a fairly simple wall-mounted swing arm that keeps the cable under control while sharing charging between two EVs in my garage.

Check out EV Hover. It's a fairly simple wall-mounted swing arm that keeps the cable under control while sharing charging between two EVs in my garage.

Thanks but I really can’t mount anything to the wall.

I would make something like bolting a piece of rubberized chain between two of these so one hooks over the top of the charger and the other hangs just below the charger and holds the coil of excess wire. Would also easily fold up to stash with the cabling.

Thanks but I really can’t mount anything to the wall.
Right. You still haven't responded to this earlier suggestion, which still makes sense to me:
Gotta say, it looks like the wall mounted doodad is specifically designed to hold up a cable. Is there a reason you can't just hang it on that?
Looping the cord on the charging unit itself, which is already on the wall, seems to be the most obvious answer.

Right. You still haven't responded to this earlier suggestion, which still makes sense to me:

Looping the cord on the charging unit itself, which is already on the wall, seems to be the most obvious answer.

Since the OP hasn't even acknowledged this suggestion, I'm going to take a wild speculative guess - based on the pic showing none of his co-workers doing it either. The partially-coiled portion looks like they give the workers a relatively small round-flat storage bag to store it in your car, so as to not get the dirt from the floor into your trunk/liftback carpet, and so the natural memory in the cable is about 16-18" or so. To loop it around the charger itself (which is how I do my Tesla Gen1 HPWC at home), you'd have to uncoil the entire cable, and then re-coil it 2-3 times with a much larger loop, which the stiffness of the cable may fight (like a garden hose). And then to store it back in the supposed bag after you're done, you'd have to re-coil it down to the 16-18" diameter again.

Just a wild guess ha ha