Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Home Overhead charger mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have pictures, designs, or ideas for a custom overhead mounted (or ran above the ceiling) for their home chargers?

I was thinking of building an overhead cable run that goes from my wall, along the ceiling, then can pull down (or swing down) to be able to charge my car with a system of unistrut, cable holders, retractable tool balancer, and a charging port mount. The intent is to keep the cable off the floor and higher up so kids can't play with it. (don't be jealous of my autocad skills haha)
Capture.JPG

I remember someone posting a thread about a DIY overhead mount they did, here:

I would have a sheave directly over the cars charge port and one near the wall. I would hang a small weight on tge part of cord near wall. That would tend to pull the charge cord up to ceiling when you weren’t using it.

Until I moved my charger a couple of months ago I had it spending two years on a boom. The boom was attached to wall ahead, and I was inspired by the self serve car wishes which have a boom arm. So the boom was about 5' in length, attached with a heavy duty fence hinge, and the charge cable was just taped to it. The end of the charge cable would sit on the floor, so I resolved that by creating a cage/ring thing with some coat hanger wire, which I then taped to the cable so that when not in use the tip of the charge cable would go into that cage, with its bottom loop a good 18" from the floor. It worked perfectly and ensured no trip hazard. Highly recommend something like this.

If you're going to get a retractable cable setup make sure it's got a stiff retraction mechanism AND that it's adjustable; if it's too weak it won't hold the cable up and if it's too strong it will try to wrench the charger out of the car, but I also almost bought one of those from amazon to do it with before I just went with the boom arm approach.

Until I moved my charger a couple of months ago I had it spending two years on a boom. The boom was attached to wall ahead, and I was inspired by the self serve car wishes which have a boom arm. So the boom was about 5' in length, attached with a heavy duty fence hinge, and the charge cable was just taped to it. The end of the charge cable would sit on the floor, so I resolved that by creating a cage/ring thing with some coat hanger wire, which I then taped to the cable so that when not in use the tip of the charge cable would go into that cage, with its bottom loop a good 18" from the floor. It worked perfectly and ensured no trip hazard. Highly recommend something like this.

If you're going to get a retractable cable setup make sure it's got a stiff retraction mechanism AND that it's adjustable; if it's too weak it won't hold the cable up and if it's too strong it will try to wrench the charger out of the car, but I also almost bought one of those from amazon to do it with before I just went with the boom arm approach.
I might add to your suggestion.... camber the swing pivot so that it wants to naturally swing toward the wall when not in use. Kinda like a crooked gate that always wants to swing shut.

Reactions: EatsShoots