Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual Mobile Charger Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having an issue with my mobile charge cable and an hour of googling is not helping. I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a 2018 LR RWD M3 with the original mobile charger.

In short, the button on the mobile charge cable is not working. There are two problems:

(1) The mobile charger button does not unlock the charger from the charge port. The scenario is: I have plugged in the cable earlier and the car is actively charging. I need to leave, so I press the charge cable button to remove the charge cable from the port. In the past, this would immediately stop the charging and the charge port would retract the latch so I can remove the charge cable. As of a few day ago, this no longer happens.

Instead, the charging indicator light goes from green, to briefly red, to dark blue. The latch that is locking the charge cable in place does not unlatch. The latch does not even try to unlatch. The solenoid does not make a sound. As soon as you let go of the charge cable button, the dark blue light begins flashing and quickly changes to flashing green as charging has restarted.

I thought this might have something to do with the car not unlocking or not being awake. So I tried opening the car door before touching the charger handle. This made no difference. I can stop charging and unlock the charge port from the app just fine. I can pull on the emergency latch release cable in the trunk just fine. The button does not work.

(2) The charger button does not open the charge port door. Even when the rear door is open, the doors are unlocked, and the main screen is on, pressing the button on the mobile charger does not open the charger port door. The charge port door opens fine when you tap on it or tell it to open from the app or the screen.

To fix these two problems I have tried: (1) resetting the car by pushing and holding both buttons on the steering wheel while holding down the brake and (2) unplugging the mobile charger for several hours and plugging it back in. Neither worked.

I know I can probably fix this by buying a new mobile charger, but I would rather not! Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!