Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two firmware version designations. Why-O-Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What am I missing? Why is this a problem?

Ok, I admit this is not an earth shattering problem. I am an IT/software engineer so to me the 4.X "information" is useless. I cannot use it to gain accurate information about the device since it hides information by design. So, this makes having it inelegant. And when you have a car/device that exudes elegance (clean lines, stark interior, etc.) it seems out of place. Slippery slope I tell you.... what's next? 3 cup holders all of varying sizes? Oh my. :)

It's actually quite common to have a different version number "inside" (technical) and "outside" (marketing?) of the software.

My Windows 7 computer reports "Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]" when you type "ver" in the command prompt...

This would probably fall into one of the more minor things Tesla is dealing with. Don't really see a problem with it either way. Maybe they could hide the 1.19.xx version number in a different screen so they could still ask owners for that information if they needed it.

I'm sure Tesla can look that up easily. I should have said if were talking with someone who didn't have ready access to that information or here on TMC that you could report the longer number. I'd say just leave them both. You only see it if you click on that screen anyway.

It's likely that different versions are for different models (performance vs standard), but all fall under v4.1.

That way they can address say a safety related throttle mapping issue on a performance model, while still working on bugs for a 60kw model with supercharging. That way forum members only need to concern them selves with getting 4.1. Once you have it you have it.

Also this way you can have a team dedicated to bug fixes, while another team works on future enhancements. Example 4.1 for performance models gets sent over once the bugs are fixed to the 4.2 team. Once the 60kw with supercharge 4.1 is bug free it gets sent to the 4.2 team