Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Trading Strategies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really like this but who can you target in the short term. Long term I see Tesla disrupting many companies but in the term of a put I am less sure of any. I would love to hear some of your ideas. I am becoming increasingly worried about the whole market turning over and this might be a good route to take.
I am loathe to give any non-Tesla trading ideas, this is a brand new strategy for me and I have very little confidence in it, I have some ethical hesitation on being short when it is not a hedge of a long position and it is a minuscule part of my portfolio...please do your own due diligence...that being said, my first foray into disrupted companies is Generac (GNRC).

A couple things that interested me: their generators are direct competitors commercially and residentially with the power wall and power pack. Their stock has appreciated +2X the S&P over the last 4 years, but lagged dramatically in the last 12 months. Their sales growth has, at best, stalled, if not contracted. They have $150 million in cash and over $1Billion in debt. Analysts have reduced expectations for this quarters' earnings and reduced 2015 and 2016 estimates, but have maintained strong revenue and profit estimates for Q3. Their oil & gas business is suffering from the drop in oil prices and Capital investment from oil exploration.

My theory (which may be crap) is if the gigafactory is completed in 2016 and telecommunications, health care and other markets begin to dry up for new contracts, it will be difficult for GNRC to sustain a growth trajectory commensurate with their stock price and valuation and to service their debt.

There has been recent, significant, activity in Jan 2016 $35 Puts, with 3500 contracts traded each of the last 2 days and 7000 contracts of open interest. (These trades happened after I had bought puts and, to me, are mind numbing in size).

Any counter arguments or feedback would be appreciated.

I am loathe to give any non-Tesla trading ideas, this is a brand new strategy for me and I have very little confidence in it, I have some ethical hesitation on being short when it is not a hedge of a long position and it is a minuscule part of my portfolio...please do your own due diligence...that being said, my first foray into disrupted companies is Generac (GNRC).

There has been recent, significant, activity in Jan 2016 $35 Puts, with 3500 contracts traded each of the last 2 days and 7000 contracts of open interest. (These trades happened after I had bought puts and, to me, are mind numbing in size).

Any counter arguments or feedback would be appreciated.

On the google finance options page for GNRC, the open interest of the jan 2016 35 puts is a mere 29, not 7000. Are you sure these weren't bought to close somehow closing out that position?

I can't bet agains Musk either! But I wrote 4 x J17 160 Puts for an average of $28,5 on the dip a few weeks ago, and have now bought back 3 of those for $15-$16,5. Nice gain :) I will do somthing similar on/if a next dip happens, and increase the amount of Puts. I have also sold the last of my J16 160 calls this week, but still have J16 280, 290, 350, 400 and 500's as my lottery tickets. I'm still holding my core stocks, and a lot of J17's, at different targets, mostly deep ITM. I'm looking forward to an exting periode to come :)

Last edited:
I can't bet agains Musk either! But I wrote 4 x J17 160 Puts for an average of $28,5 on the dip a few weeks ago, and have now bought back 3 of those for $15-$16,5. Nice gain :) I will do somthing similar on/if a next dip happens, and increase the amount of Puts. I have also sold the last of my J16 160 calls this week, but still have J16 280, 290, 350, 400 and 500's as my lottery tickets. I'm still holding my core stocks, and a lot if J17's, at different targets, mostly deep ITM. I'm looking forward to an exting periode to come :)

Wenche congratulations on your gains, well done and may your lottery tickets turn out to be winning tickets:smile:

it seems to me like a lot of activity, selling and buying back puts, buying and selling calls, makes me curious if your trades are on your local market? Which market do you trade on?

Wenche congratulations on your gains, well done and may your lottery tickets turn out to be winning tickets:smile:

it seems to me like a lot of activity, selling and buying back puts, buying and selling calls, makes me curious if your trades are on your local market? Which market do you trade on?

Hi, and thank you :) I have used Interactivebrokers US, since 2013. I opened the account directly on the internet, with no use of other broker. They charge only about $0,70 - $1,30 each option, depending on where it gets filled. :)

Hi, and thank you :) I have used Interactivebrokers US, since 2013. I opened the account directly on the internet, with no use of other broker. They charge only about $0,70 - $1,30 each option, depending on where it gets filled. :)

If I understand correctly you trade on US market, during US trading hours

I think TSLA is traded on Frankfurt exchange, not sure about other markets

I'd love to trade more, but the US market hours are so unfriendly to me

If I understand correctly you trade on US market, during US trading hours

I think TSLA is traded on Frankfurt exchange, not sure about other markets

I'd love to trade more, but the US market hours are so unfriendly to me

Yes, I trade on the US market. Most of the time I use GTC orders that is valid untill filled, or canselled, so I don't need to follow the market that closely.

I can't bet agains Musk either! But I wrote 4 x J17 160 Puts for an average of $28,5 on the dip a few weeks ago, and have now bought back 3 of those for $15-$16,5. Nice gain :) I will do somthing similar on/if a next dip happens, and increase the amount of Puts. I have also sold the last of my J16 160 calls this week, but still have J16 280, 290, 350, 400 and 500's as my lottery tickets. I'm still holding my core stocks, and a lot of J17's, at different targets, mostly deep ITM. I'm looking forward to an exting periode to come :)

Congrats on your shrewd move! Options are still a bit of a closed book to me, but it appears you were smart to sell those 160 calls in time. Good luck.

US-market is quite ideal for us Norwegian hobby-traders. The merket opens 3:30 pm and closes 10 pm. Doesn't affect work too much... ;-) It's only a few weeks during daylight-saving-change we are off by 1 hour because Europe and USA changes on different weeks...

The Frankfurt opens 1 hour before Nasdaq pre merket, and 2 if you include Frankfurt pre merket. Don't see the point...

Anyways, I'm currently selling calls against leaps to make some money on this flat periode.

I am in with a small bet on the "daily" June 5 $250 calls. I got them for $0.43.

Today's price action is based 100% on following the Nasdaq. I am seeing very tight consolidation over the past few weeks and historically low volume over the last few days. Every time this has happened, the stock has been a coiled spring waiting to go flying. All it takes is some positive news.

I think there is a very low probability of materially positive news coming out between now and next week's shareholder meeting, but I think the risk/reward on these calls makes them reasonable "lotto tickets." I think it's most likely that these expire worthless, but I'll be in with another weekly bet right after.

I am in with a small bet on the "daily" June 5 $250 calls. I got them for $0.43.

Today's price action is based 100% on following the Nasdaq. I am seeing very tight consolidation over the past few weeks and historically low volume over the last few days. Every time this has happened, the stock has been a coiled spring waiting to go flying. All it takes is some positive news.

I think there is a very low probability of materially positive news coming out between now and next week's shareholder meeting, but I think the risk/reward on these calls makes them reasonable "lotto tickets." I think it's most likely that these expire worthless, but I'll be in with another weekly bet right after.

looks like a good move. Congrats

Did not manage to exit these in time; was hoping we would breach $250.

I am still quite pleased with today's price action and bullish on next week.
i did not have quite the nerve you had....I bought June 19 (quadruple witching day). 240/250/260 along with some June 12 250s yesterday in the hope that that shareholder's meeting will have some positive news/catalyst.

Last edited:
i did not have quite the nerve you had....I bought June 19 (quadruple witching day). 240/250/260 along with some June 12 250s yesterday in the hope that that shareholder's meeting will have some positive news/catalyst.

Needless to say....Today was a good day for these^^^^. Sold enough of the June 12 250s today to run the rest 'risk free'. Have not been able to say that in quite some time. I hope to see some good news out of the shareholder's meeting.
aside: very strange today: all my other individual stocks were down today.....but with TSLA doing so well it was still a very green day.....

Made my biggest "cowboy" trade this morning. Tesla was up about $2 pre-market and the $260 weeklies closed at $.78 on Friday. I was going to be in a meeting at market open, so I put in a $1 bid for a bunch of contracts at market open. The trading platform warned me I was exceeding the closing bid by greater than 20%...wasn't a ton of cash, but it felt right. Sold back half the position after my meeting at 10:15 at + 100% and kept the rest for the balance of the week. That kind of day. I hope for a continuation tomorrow, it does seem like there has been a bit of an embargo on news prior to the shareholder meeting and now the dike is breaking.

good luck to all...cowboy up.