Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Technical Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure it will have a minor pullback before we propel higher. Stocks don't trade in just one direction. We also historically (at least best as I can remember) have a consolidation/selloff just before (the one or two days prior) to the ER. Wouldn't surprise me to see us finish this climb through Friday, trade roughly flat for Monday, and then be in the red on Tues/Wed. Barring no major macro event or significant Tesla news.

Well, so much for that prediction... Seems like we are getting a flat trading day today. I think the good thing right now is that instead of a pullback after a runup of over 16$ we are trading sideways. Less volume today too. I still think we will see it continue to go up (even if very small moves) through the end of the week.

Technically SP price reached 225-228 resistance zone in early trading hours. So it didn't follow the index and retreat a bit in the rest of the day. It needs either a good ER or consolidate further to break this resistance level. Personally, I'm still waiting for my 226.5 sell order to be executed hopefully on Friday or Monday.

Technically SP price reached 225-228 resistance zone in early trading hours. So it didn't follow the index and retreat a bit in the rest of the day. It needs either a good ER or consolidate further to break this resistance level. Personally, I'm still waiting for my 226.5 sell order to be executed hopefully on Friday or Monday.

yeah, we hit it a bit sooner than I thought we would. I wouldn't expect to see much upside from here until after the ER.

yeah, we hit it a bit sooner than I thought we would. I wouldn't expect to see much upside from here until after the ER.

Here's a daily chart showing a horizontal line at the local max from 2015-12-26 (closing price $227.82).
Looks like this value is acting like a resistance now during our upwards movement.
Yesterday's intraday high at $225.48 was pretty close to the value of the last local max at 2015-12-26.
After this intraday high yesterday the SP declined slowly during the following trading hours.
If we hit this resistance again today and are not able to push through the resistance, this price range close to the resistance could be a good area to make a defensive move and sell some stock before ER.
TSLA-2015-02-06.jpg

With max pain for this Friday being at $210 it will be interesting to see if the SP declines further to max pain today or enough buyers step in before ER next week to push SP up/through the resistance.

By the way, does this last candlestick on the daily chart look like a "shooting star"?
Could be another hint that we will move towards max pain toaday:(

Last edited:
Here's a daily chart showing a horizontal line at the local max from 2015-12-26 (closing price $227.82).
Looks like this value is acting like a resistance now during our upwards movement.
Yesterday's intraday high at $225.48 was pretty close to the value of the last local max at 2015-12-26.
After this intraday high yesterday the SP declined slowly during the following trading hours.
If we hit this resistance again today and are not able to push through the resistance, this price range close to the resistance could be a good area to make a defensive move and sell some stock before ER.
View attachment 71448

With max pain for this Friday being at $210 it will be interesting to see if the SP declines further to max pain today or enough buyers step in before ER next week to push SP up/through the resistance.

By the way, does this last candlestick on the daily chart look like a "shooting star"?
Could be another hint that we will move towards max pain toaday:(

My "Max Pain" number adjusted upwards to 217.50 over the last couple days.

Thanks a lot for the hint!
As I have seen "Max Pain" at my source moved to $215 in the meantime.
Maybe the reason is I have looked up max pain before the open in the states?

Where can you see the "Max Pain" number of 217.50?

I run an automated spreadsheet in the morning. Split it in the middle somewhere.

I meant to split it between your estimate and my estimate. I have been watching volume and when I compare it with this morning's numbers there is a greater potential for an up-tick than a down-tick from my original estimate. It all depends on the action though.

Last edited:
I bought a couple $220 Puts (Feb 13th to give me some room) this morning when TSLA was at $222.75. Sold them ~3 hours later @ 217.xx for $1.50 profit.

Be aware that buying TSLA puts resets the clock on your matching TSLA shareholdings, so it will take another year for the shares to become eligible for the lower capital gains tax rate.

It's like they don't even try to hide the manipulation anymore... -_-

Simply amazing!
Let's see what monday morning will bring.
Looking forward to next week;)

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a couple $220 Puts (Feb 13th to give me some room) this morning when TSLA was at $222.75. Sold them ~3 hours later @ 217.xx for $1.50 profit.

I thought about this possibility, but I was not confident enough to to buy some puts:(
Thought too positive about possible positive price action.
Have a nice weekend everyone!

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info!
The difference to $215 is small (are there only discrete values with a difference of $2.5 possible?).

What I meant by "split it in the middle" is that it looked like we were going to close just under 217.50 from what I was looking at. (Between your number and my number instead of just above 217.50.) Just a few more puts below that number and it could have easily changed "Max Pain" to make a close between 217.50 and 220, but it wasn't to be.

Yesterday's close with $217.48 came in above both 10DMA ($211.78) and 50DMA ($213.45).
After reaching a local high of $232.51 the 200DMA had a local min at about $228.77 during last couple of days and closed at about $229.16 yesterday.
From yesterday's closing price to the 200DMA there is currently $11.68 of room to the upside.
Here is a daily chart showing the moving averages and possible resistance at $226.79:
TSLA-2015-02-10-daily.jpg

Here is a minute chart showing that the 50DMA currently looks like support:
TSLA-2015-02-10-minute.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday's close with $217.48 came in above both 10DMA ($211.78) and 50DMA ($213.45).
After reaching a local high of $232.51 the 200DMA had a local min at about $228.77 during last couple of days and closed at about $229.16 yesterday.
From yesterday's closing price to the 200DMA there is currently $11.68 of room to the upside.
Here is a daily chart showing the moving averages and possible resistance at $226.79:
View attachment 71866
Here is a minute chart showing that the 50DMA currently looks like support:
View attachment 71867

I appreciate a good charting program when I see it. Which one is this?