Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Article

Shop at the mall for your $100,000 Tesla

Not being a lawyer I was wondering if anyone could comment on the legal issues involved with Tesla owning the stores. My view is they are not actually selling the cars at the store if the customer goes home, gets online and then orders the car.

China invented and already selling Solar Powered cars worth $5,000. it's not sold in USA yet but it will be here soon.

k.

It's there if you look at their financial statements. Something like $13 million from selling credits. I don't think they have made a big deal out of it yet because they only sell 500 Roadsters a year, so the impact on their overal revenue is very small. 20,000 units is a whole other story.

The real question is, will there be enough companies like Honda that aren't making their numbers and need to buy credits? Supply and demand...

Just listened to the webcast of the investors meeting and things sure look good. Elon just exuded confidence, no hedging on anything really. Not that he usually hedges :), but the whole demeanor of the presentation was really confident. Fantastic crash test results, a super charger network described as awesome in no uncertain terms, great reliability/maintenance costs, etc.

All of it's been said before, but it really seems to have turned from "it will be great when we get there" to "we're there and we hit the target".

Yeah, great presentation by Elon. (Or, "St. Elon, the savior" as John Peterson mockingly calls him :))

I was spontaneously applauding (at home) when he made the statement that the first couple of Model S cars have been delivered! Wonder why no one in the actual audience felt compelled to do so given how momentous the occasion is for the company :confused:

Article worth reading: It's Time to Buy Tesla Motors

Tesla Motors (NAS: TSLA) is trying to break that trend as a new type of automaker, both from a technology standpoint and without the legacy costs that tied down older manufacturers. But there are a lot of outstanding questions for the auto manufacturer that is still bleeding red ink and won't turn a profit until at least next year. Important questions that come to mind are: Can Tesla make enough money to live up to the hype? Will EVs become popular? And most important for investors: Will the stock go up?

It's there if you look at their financial statements. Something like $13 million from selling credits. I don't think they have made a big deal out of it yet because they only sell 500 Roadsters a year, so the impact on their overal revenue is very small. 20,000 units is a whole other story.

The real question is, will there be enough companies like Honda that aren't making their numbers and need to buy credits? Supply and demand...

IF there is demand, and all 20,000 units are sold, that's.... let's see... 20,000 x 7 credits each... 140000 credits x $5,000 to $10,000.... carry the one... $700 million to $1.4 BILLION.

A little weak on facts, the biggest one being the statement that the car to follow the X is the next Roadster; we all know that it's the Gen III mass-market car (and Elon confirmed this once again in yesterday's meeting) and that should be the reason for more optimism around the stock.

IF there is demand, and all 20,000 units are sold, that's.... let's see... 20,000 x 7 credits each... 140000 credits x $5,000 to $10,000.... carry the one... $700 million to $1.4 BILLION.

Yup. ~$1B a year for a company with a market cap of ~$3B. All of the sudden TSLA looks really really cheap.

Again, I feel I must emphasize this is only IF they are able to sell all those credits. I think that is a pretty big IF. I'm working on trying to figure out what a reasonable expectation is, but there is lots of data to gather to do that.

That could pay for Gen 3 or Blue Star?

It all goes to the same pot, but I think that they have probably already accounted for this income in their margin predictions for Model S of 25%. While we haven't thought of this until now, I don't think it has escaped Deepak. When you sell a car for $70k and then make another couple grand from selling the credits, it's a lot easier to make 25% profit on that car.

I fully expect a secondary offering to fund BlueStar.

Status
Not open for further replies.