Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought NJ might have been the tipping point but that simply turns them into the Texas sales model. This is far worse and agree they might have gone too far this time. It's very hard for any objective person to see this as anything other than exerting power and protecting a corrupt sales model.

I thought NJ might have been the tipping point but that simply turns them into the Texas sales model. This is far worse and agree they might have gone too far this time. It's very hard for any objective person to see this as anything other than exerting power and protecting a corrupt sales model.

I think they probably have gone too far. Denying the ability to offer servicing is an obvious block on out-of-state sales.

Things are really getting F'd up.

Someone needs to point out to these people (NADA and the money behind it) what happens when you get too blatant in your tooling of normal folks. A small revisit of the French or Bolshevic Revolutions should give them an idea. Sure, the circumstances were significantly different and the scale can not be compared but there is only so much money can do to people before the people decide they have had enough.

The problem is, we are going about it all wrong. We need to attach the people's names who sponsor the bill/make the changes to existing bills to include that language. What we are doing might stop the bills in their track but they are always free to try again or go at it in other states. If senators/house members know that their names are going to be attached to the outrage, they will think twice about sponsoring these things to begin with.

The problem is, we are going about it all wrong. We need to attach the people's names who sponsor the bill/make the changes to existing bills to include that language. What we are doing might stop the bills in their track but they are always free to try again or go at it in other states. If senators/house members know that their names are going to be attached to the outrage, they will think twice about sponsoring these things to begin with.

And even better yet, vote them out in the next elections. I don't care what party they are or political affiliation, it is time to clean house from this blatant corruption.

You guys who live there need to make a public stand, get things noticed in the media that actual owners are upset about this. Also, isn't one of the dealerships' arguments about "it's family business and you don't want to take those jobs away", well, it seems like they are the ones taking them away now.....

Ok, so I did some research and here is what I found:

HB 1124 had an assembly substitute offered as shown here in the senate:

Missouri House of Representatives

In it was proposed 4778S.04F with the franchisor nonsense:

Motor vehicles

This happened during 5/6 session:

Senator Kehoe, Chairman of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, submitted the
following reports:
Mr. President: Your Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, to which was referred HCS for
HB 1124, begs leave to report that it has considered the same and recommends that the Senate Committee
Substitute, hereto attached, do pass.

So I looked into the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure and here are the members:

Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Missouri State Senate - Ballotpedia

I think our culprit is Senator Kehoe. When I looked him up on follow the money:

Search Results | Follow The Money

Something looked very weird, so I looked it in a bit more detail:

Mikes Biography | Mike Kehoe

THE SENATOR IS AN AUTO DEALER HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!

For him to be chairman of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure seems like conflict of interest!

Side note: Jay Wasson who also sits on the committee received money from dealer association so he might have been an accomplice.

Edit: Seems like we have some confirmation of Jay Wasson's part in this:

Missouri legislature lays potential road block for Tesla Motors sales | PoliticMo

Last edited:
THE SENATOR IS AN AUTO DEALER HIMSELF!!!!!!!!!

For him to be chairman of the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure seems like conflict of interest!

We've got one just like this here in Texas. Did dealer association place a member on the transportation committee in each state without us knowing? hahaha. would be a great thing to research.

We've got one just like this here in Texas. Did dealer association place a member on the transportation committee in each state without us knowing? hahaha. would be a great thing to research.

He also served as a board member on the Missouri Automobile Dealers Association. So more accurately, did he put himself on the committee?

You guys who live there need to make a public stand, get things noticed in the media that actual owners are upset about this. Also, isn't one of the dealerships' arguments about "it's family business and you don't want to take those jobs away", well, it seems like they are the ones taking them away now.....

Glen Kolkmeyer, the main sponsor of hb1124 Missouri House of Representatives
is also owner and CEO of Energy Transport Solutions, Inc. for 24 years. A Propane and refined fuels trucking company. Energy Transport Solutions - Home

No conflict here?

The democrat co sponsor Keith English, is ironically an ex-electrician.

Also, in addition to NADA, the local MISSOURI AUTOMOBILE DEALERS ASSOCIATION throws money around locally.
MISSOURI AUTOMOBILE DEALERS ASSOCIATION | Follow The Money

It infuriates me that the bills purpose is "This bill changes the laws regarding all-terrain vehicles, recreational off-highway vehicles, and utility vehicles." yet on the last 3 pages of 33 pages, this anti Tesla wording is inserted. How does this further the bills purpose?

" 4. In enacting subsection 3 of this section, it is the express intent of the legislature to prevent any manufacturer of new motor vehicles from circumventing the public policy as stated in section 407.811, by engaging in methods of retailing new motor vehicles which are designed to avoid the provisions of sections 407.810 to 407.835."

I don't know if I should laugh or cry looking at these political shenanigans.

Glen Kolkmeyer, the main sponsor of hb1124 Missouri House of Representatives
is also owner and CEO of Energy Transport Solutions, Inc. for 24 years. A Propane and refined fuels trucking company. Energy Transport Solutions - Home

No conflict here?

The democrat co sponsor Keith English, is ironically an ex-electrician.

Also, in addition to NADA, the local MISSOURI AUTOMOBILE DEALERS ASSOCIATION throws money around locally.
MISSOURI AUTOMOBILE DEALERS ASSOCIATION | Follow The Money

It infuriates me that the bills purpose is "This bill changes the laws regarding all-terrain vehicles, recreational off-highway vehicles, and utility vehicles." yet on the last 3 pages of 33 pages, this anti Tesla wording is inserted. How does this further the bills purpose?

" 4. In enacting subsection 3 of this section, it is the express intent of the legislature to prevent any manufacturer of new motor vehicles from circumventing the public policy as stated in section 407.811, by engaging in methods of retailing new motor vehicles which are designed to avoid the provisions of sections 407.810 to 407.835."

I don't know if I should laugh or cry looking at these political shenanigans.

Just to clarify, they are not the ones responsible. The bill was changed in the senate, not in the house. The house bill was clean, the senate made the change when Mike Kehoe made a substitute bill. While we should press the house to be aware of this change and have it removed. Let us not attack innocent* people without evidence. (Unless this bill was intentionally set up to be later changed in the senate)

*I am aware that innocent and politician are opposite words but just for this instance.

Mike Kehoe is our guy

Last edited:
Kehoe sold his dealership in late 2011 to Joe Machens. You can bet he's still involved though.

Yep.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=678705#.U2xGfZVOWUk

"Kehoe will remain a consultant for the new organization, but will increase a focus on community service and agri-business."

Nice yelp reviews of the stealership he sold.

"The worst!!!! We settled on a price. Then when we went to finance they slipped in two "warranties" we didn't ask for. We had to have them re do the paper work three times. Then when we thought everything was correct we received the payment book in the mail. It still had the higher price. Our loan ended up about $2000 more then the negotiated price. Done dealing with slime. Never will I go back or send someone there!!!
Won't even give them one star."

"I agree with K.S. Joe Machens is THE WORST!!! I bought a truck there a few years ago. The price of the truck was not bad but they hammered me on my trade in. I didn't realize at the time that my trade in was worth $9,000 to $10,000. They gave me $4000 for it. I didn't make that same mistake twice. I went in there a few days ago to buy a truck. this time I did my research and knew that my trade in was worth $13,000. When the salesman offered me ONLY $4,000 I turned around and walked out. Do not let Joe Machens do the same to you, do your research before you trade otherwise be prepared to get the shaft.
I have absolutely zero affiliation with any dealerships but I have been to Keen Ford in Fulton a few times and they are much more pleasant to deal with. I got a trade in value on a car there, then I went to Machens and Keen offered me $3000 more than Machens. It's worth the 30 minute drive to Fulton. You would probably be better off driving out of your way to any Ford dealership other than Joe Machens.
I wanted to give Machens zero stars but that wasn't a option so they are getting one."