Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many questions for Kansas Tesla owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the Kansas City area on the Kansas side and am considering purchasing a base M3 as my commuter car.

As Kansas does not allow direct-to-consumer sales, I plan to go to the Kansas City Tesla dealer on the Missouri side.
For Tesla, will they have me register the vehicle? I would assume I would pay taxes and registration at my local Kansas DMV and not at the time of the sale.

I also see that according to Tesla, all Model 3's are eligible for the non-refundable $7,500 tax credit. Has any official documentation from the IRS become available on the upgraded amount from $3,750 to $7,500?

And finally, does anyone know if I can claim 2 $7,500 credits for this year? We bought my wife an EV and have one credit waiting. I meet the eligibility for the tax rebate.

And if you are still reading, thank you in advance!

I also see that according to Tesla, all Model 3's are eligible for the non-refundable $7,500 tax credit. Has any official documentation from the IRS become available on the upgraded amount from $3,750 to $7,500?

$7,500 for all Model 3 trims (cheap to expensive but under $55,000) placed in service on or after April 18, 2023.
And finally, does anyone know if I can claim 2 $7,500 credits for this year?
Not a tax person but the form 8936 does not exclude multiple cars. It lists 2 vehicle blanks for you to fill in VINs. If you buy more than 2, just get another form...

---
I don't know how Tesla Kansas purchases work. If you pick yours at CA state, the CA state would charge you CA sales tax. I don't know how your neighboring state do taxes either. If you get your Tesla from a delivery service (Amazon-like principle) then you need to bring the paperwork to your DMV to register. It's possible that Tesla has simplified the process but you need to talk to them to know what to expect.

Last edited:
When I purchased in 2018, I picked up at the delivery center in Missouri. I wrote a personal check for the balance due and the financial part was completed in about 2 minutes. No sales tax was paid to Missouri at the time of purchase. It was MSRP + delivery fee + $4 tire fee. You’ll get a 60-day tag from Missouri to tide you over until the paperwork arrives.

A week later, I received a FedEx package with the MCO/MSO (Manufacturer’s Certificate/Statement of Origin). I took that to the local DMV, paid for the license plate ($100 + property tax + 6.5% sales tax). I forget exactly, but KS Pproperty tax on my Model 3 for the first year was something like $800. My sales tax is the base 6.5% KS rate - you will likely pay higher unless you’re not in a city and just in a county somewhere. Sales Tax is calculated on your home address. The DMV will print a paper license plate to use until the new plate arrives about 10 days later. You can request a personalized plate for $45 at this time.

Easy process, but it’s painful to write a check for the sales tax. Don’t visit the DMV during the last few days or first few days of the month. They are extremely busy with renewals then. Also, Mondays are generally bad as well. Take advantage of their QLess system to get in line at the DMV before you arrive there.

For KS-specific questions, you should use the Midwest forum, not the Model 3 forum.

I am assuming you took delivery, but you pay for your car and then its on you to register it in KS once Tesla sends you your paperwork via Fedex. So plan on shelling out any tax and registration, which depends on if you have a trade in or not.

It's super easy and you won't overpay/double pay anything.