Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OLD Model Y in trouble??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With New Model 3 now available, it seems MY looks dated. M3 and MY shared 70% parts before the change. Tesla already reduced inventory MYLR to be ~$2,500 cheaper ($10,000 for those who qualify for tax credit) than M3LR.

Tesla either will have to move up Juniper timeline or do something even more drastic with current MY. Don't see how they can make their projected sales as is.

If you look at MY inventory, they have every combination of MY available. So many MY just sitting there...

Even as the best selling car in the world, perhaps Old MY is in trouble?

FWIW that 70% thing was a pre-production guess.

When someone actually did a teardown the shared % was much much lower.

Previously, it was believed that the level of joint use of parts of Model 3 and Model Y reached 70%, however it turned out that this is not the case. In fact, the cars appeared to share about only 25% of similar parts.

Reactions: acpd
With New Model 3 now available, it seems MY looks dated. M3 and MY shared 70% parts before the change. Tesla already reduced inventory MYLR to be ~$2,500 cheaper ($10,000 for those who qualify for tax credit) than M3LR.

Tesla either will have to move up Juniper timeline or do something even more drastic with current MY. Don't see how they can make their projected sales as is.

If you look at MY inventory, they have every combination of MY available. So many MY just sitting there...

Even as the best selling car in the world, perhaps Old MY is in trouble?
FWIW, I saw one of the Highland M3s over the weekend at the local Service Center and I don't think the front end looks better than the original M3. And MY still looks great!

Reactions: Taney71 and 455dan
FWIW, I saw one of the Highland M3s over the weekend at the local Service Center and I don't think the front end looks better than the original M3. And MY still looks great!
I think the two cars look nearly identical. The front fascia and the rear taillights are both a little different. However, the Highland’s build quality felt better than the previous generation 3. It had a nice solid feel to it…no rattles at all (at least not on the demo car I was driving) but that’s the same with Model Y now too. The ventilated seats were nice. It wasn’t warm outside but I tested them out and that’s a feature I’d like. The LCD screen in the back didn’t do much for me. I don’t think I’d watch anything back there on that little screen…and the back seats themselves don’t have much leg room (and I’m not that tall). More than hour back there wouldn’t be comfortable…but that’s prob the same with the outgoing generation.

Apples and oranges…I test drove a Highland yesterday. It’s a nice car but I would not trade my Model Y for one.
Right.. agreed, I would get MY. But still doesn't change the fact that looking at M3 and understanding that Juniper will have those charges. Doesn't help MY sell right now. Plus as soon as Juniper hit the market, resell value of old MY will take a hit.

Just bad timings by Tesla.

Right.. agreed, I would get MY. But still doesn't change the fact that looking at M3 and understanding that Juniper will have those charges. Doesn't help MY sell right now. Plus as soon as Juniper hit the market, resell value of old MY will take a hit.

Just bad timings by Tesla.
I might be alone, but aside from the ventilated seats, there’s nothing in the refresh I care about. The newer Model Ys are already the same build quality with their solid ride, the front bumper redesign is aesthetics, and the rear screen is useless for me. WRT resale value, most of that hit happened the moment you drove the car off the lot…and I’d prefer it if they sold fewer Ys; I am not a stock holder and there are too many of them on the road where I live already!

• Funny