Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The good news is that St. Louis is so close to the Illinois border that Tesla could simply open its service center for St. Louis in O'Fallon, IL or Fairview Heights, IL. We'd be HAPPY to have Tesla here in the Metro East, and it would basically take the money away from Missouri. Stupid politicians.

Ok, more info:

Missouri legislature lays potential road block for Tesla Motors sales | PoliticMo

Seems to confirm Jay Wasson as Mike Kehoe's accomplice.

He did get contributions from MADA and serves with Kehoe in the senate committee.

Another laugh or cry moment. On 4/21/14 Wasson wrote this
Senator Jay Wasson

"Encouraging Growth in High-Tech Industries in Missouri
We face an ever-changing economy, fueled more and more by growth in science and technology based industries. As a state, it’s critical that we not only help existing high-tech and innovative employers expand, but bring more of these cutting edge businesses—and 21st Century jobs—to the state. The question is, and remains, how? "

Last edited:
I believe Liz has reached out to the St. Louis news outlets already and I have as well. If you live in the St. Louis area, might be a good thing for you to reach out to their news tips line and talk about the impact on you as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Evan, looks like Wasson lives in Nixa? Any chance you can use local pressure? Might be good to contact Springfield news outlets as well.

Last edited:
The public policy that this amendment to the bill is purportedly trying to uphold is:
407.811. It is declared to be the public policy of the state to provide for fair and impartial regulation of those persons engaged in the manufacturing, distributing, importing, or selling of motor vehicles. The provisions of the MVFP act shall be administered in such a manner that will promote fair dealing and honesty in the motor vehicle industry and among those engaged therein without unfair or unreasonable discrimination or undue preference or advantage. It is further declared to be the policy of the state to protect the public interest in the purchase and trade of motor vehicles so as to ensure protection against irresponsible vendors and dishonest or fraudulent sales practices and to assist, provide, and secure a stable, efficient, enforceable, and verifiable method for the distribution of motor vehicles to consumers in the state.
Pretty ironic...

Source: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C400-499/4070000811.HTM
The full text of the statute being amended can be found here: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/statutes.htm#T19

I have received a call back from representative Elmer and he gave me his cell phone, so I will call him back later this morning. I do not know Jay Wasson personally and since this has already passed the Senate don't know that contacting him at this point would be much use, but certainly if it goes back to the Senate I will be on his ass.

The Springfield News-Leader tracked me down on this story somehow and I spent 30 minutes on the phone with that reporter and invited him to come see the car for some photos and such.

I have emails/messages out to the two largest TV stations in Springfield as well as one of the smaller ones.

Thanks efusco.

I have yet to hear back from any of the St. Louis stations. I know FlasherZ also sent them emails. Hopefully they will reach out to one of us. As soon as details are finalized for the Convergence on Jeff City I will be send a follow up email to each of the news stations.

Thanks efusco.

I have yet to hear back from any of the St. Louis stations. I know FlasherZ also sent them emails. Hopefully they will reach out to one of us. As soon as details are finalized for the Convergence on Jeff City I will be send a follow up email to each of the news stations.

Nice work. Maybe invite one of their reporters for a ride if they've never seen a Model S before?

Been emailing/FB'ing my reps and bill reps last night and this morning... funny how my words have progressed from polite to a bit more no holds barred. I am figuring the latter will get more attention. :rolleyes:

I'm glad that some media is picking this up. I am very disappointed that the local (St. Louis) news affiliates have not been. Did see this in Bloomberg Businessweek though.

I have received a call back from representative Elmer and he gave me his cell phone, so I will call him back later this morning. I do not know Jay Wasson personally and since this has already passed the Senate don't know that contacting him at this point would be much use, but certainly if it goes back to the Senate I will be on his ass.

The Springfield News-Leader tracked me down on this story somehow and I spent 30 minutes on the phone with that reporter and invited him to come see the car for some photos and such.

I have emails/messages out to the two largest TV stations in Springfield as well as one of the smaller ones.

Is this the one?

Complaints flare at bill that would affect Tesla sales

Edit: It seems Glen Kolkmeyer was either in on it, or is afraid the bill will get scrapped? either way he seems to be supporting the change to his bill

Also, we get final confirmation that Mike Kehoe is the one who wrote the language.

Last edited:
Just got off of a 20 min call with Rep. Elmer, he is going to vote against the bill.

Here's the News-Leader online story:
Springfield News-Leader

They're coming over now to take photos of me with the Model S for the print (and maybe updated online) story.

Emailed Jay Wasson, but Elmer reinforced that energy needs to be focused on the House right now...if a vote can be delayed until next Friday passes it won't be voted on this session. The House can also refuse to vote on the bill with the changes and then it will go to committee and they'll have to vote on whatever the committee decides the language should be--that would be bad as that committee will have 5 Senators and 3 reps and will likely be loaded with those for the bill.

Both Tesla and the dealers' lobbies are pushing hard to get this through...call your reps, email is OK, but easier to ignore...call their office and leave a number and your feelings on this. We can stop this thing.