Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota to show new BEV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ~10 year old NiMH batteries in my RangerEV are probably about 80% as good as they were when new. That 80% value seems to be the point where they get talked about as "worn out". I don't think the Ranger battery management system is as good as Toyota's though. The batteries do need to be charged and discharged within some specifications. Also they need to be monitored for temp and adjusted accordingly.

I don't own a Rav4 EV. I'm basing everything I've said off an owner I known who has had two Rav4 EVs (for five years, I believe). The impressions I got from him, from all the descriptions of how he cares for the batteries, is that they were relatively fragile if not taken care of properly.

I guess I'm wrong: NiMH isn't so delicate.

"Well, for some reason Toyota has stuck with NiMH in all their hybrids to date."

Hybrids don't need high energy density and don't need to be able to handle high/low SOC variations. That means they can make compromises in the cell design to accommodate what is best for a hybrid. The only thing a hybrid battery needs is high power density.

But for a full BEV, you can't compromise energy density for power density or the capability to handle high/low SOC variations.

And yes, lithium's calendar life is precarious dilemma. It's what Tesla keeps most quiet about.

As a followup to dpeilow's linked article:

Toyota Denies Plans to Build a Solar-Powered Electric Car | All Cars Electric

Many pundits analyzing the premise recognized that with the limits of present day solar technology, moving a car the weight and size of a typical passenger car for all of its driving needs, purely on solar energy would be frankly, well, impossible.

AllCarsElectric.com has now received official word on the subject.

As per Toyota spokesperson Jana Hartline “we’re not aware of any such vehicle, planned or otherwise.”

Their spokeswoman denies that they will build a car which (it could be implied) would be covered in solar cells, but the original article talks about a BEV charged by solar cells at home as "solar powered", as was proposed some time ago by Martin.

Their spokeswoman denies that they will build a car which (it could be implied) would be covered in solar cells, but the original article talks about a BEV charged by solar cells at home as "solar powered", as was proposed some time ago by Martin.

Although the "solar roof to power the climate control" of the Aptera or Karma is a reasonable use as well. Not really "powered" per se, but... I dunno... "solar power enhanced" or something?

Bloomberg.com: Worldwide

Toyota to Sell Tiny U.S. ‘Urban Commuter’ Battery Car by 2012

By Alan Ohnsman
Jan. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp., working to hold a lead in advanced vehicles over General Motors Corp. and smaller startups, plans to sell a tiny, battery-powered car in the U.S. by 2012 that can be recharged at electrical outlets.
A concept version of the FT-EV “urban commuter” car will be at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit starting tomorrow, Toyota said in a statement. The world’s largest seller of hybrids didn’t say how much the model, a modified version of the iQ minicar sold in Japan, may cost.

Awesome news.

Unfortunately, seeing that it is already labeled as an "urban commuter" it will probably be a disgrace to EVs.

Think about how awful those two words really are. Urban=city=traffic=slow=pollution. Commuter=bored+frustrated. Used together, it's a double whammy!

I have a feeling they're planning to make another Prius...

The really good news here is that maybe the rest of the market will finally get serious about EVs. Maybe Mitsubishi will finally put their EV to market, and quickly Also, these plans should get automakers around the world (especially in America) to hurry up any EV plans. And maybe Honda will stop badmouthing evs...

We should be expecting some changes at Toyota, so I'm thinking these EV plans will definitely happen, and probably be speeded up.

All in the family: Toyoda grandson to take top job - Autoblog

Last edited:

01ToyotaFTEV.jpg

1ToyotaFTEV.jpg

2ToyotaFTEV.jpg

4ToyotaFTEV.jpg