Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota Ammonia Engine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see any thread about this yet, but I just saw Toyota claims that they are going to kill off EVs with their new ammonia engine.

Toyota Takes Aim at EVs With Ammonia Engine

Seems like they are trying to do anything but electrify their fleet. The most common process used today to make ammonia is the Haber-Bosch process which costs about $3.50/gal to produce.

Ammonia production costs? - Thunder Said Energy

The process also produces a fair bit of CO2. There are some other processes that are in the lab that could potentially produce ammonia cheaper and without the CO2 production, but those processes are not available today. The Haber-Bosch process will be with us for a while.

Ammonia is also not very energy dense compared to gasoline. Gasoline has about 33 KWh/Gal of energy, but ammonia only has about 9 KWh/gal. If an ICE that burns ammonia has the same efficiency as a gasoline ICE the car is going to have 1/4 the fuel efficiency of a gas ICE today everything else being equal (same size, weight, etc.) So ammonia ICE will have to have 4X the gas tank size to get the same range.

This seems in some ways loonier than hydrogen fuel cell cars. At least those cars are taking advantage of a technology that is already working. The new ammonia ICE is in the prototype stage and has had to overcome a lot of obstacles because ammonia burns differently than gasoline.

Just like the processes to make ammonia in other ways is years from seeing the market, so is this engine. Meanwhile BEVs will be steadily increasing in market share during the years Toyota is burning on this tech.

There have been some ideas for using ammonia made with solar energy in places that will have an over abundance like Australia to fuel ocean going ships. We will need something other than batteries for that. BEV ships are going to be limited to short run ships like ferries. They are not well suited for ocean going vessels. But for ground transportation we have a perfectly viable propulsion type with BEVs. BEVs are not universally suited to all ground transport needs, some kind of ICE might still be used in places like the Australian Outback and some remote areas in North America (we never got rid of horses for all transport needs, but we did replace most of them with ICE), but BEVs will eventually be used for almost all ground transport applications (once we have enough battery production).

I'm not sure Toyota is going to survive the transition to BEVs. They seem to be overly focused on coming up with some cunning plan to keep the existing infrastructure with a new fuel source flowing in it instead of accepting the reality that BEVs are the future.

2552715259_e7f2d35445_b.jpg

"Toyota" by danielctw is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

It's popping up on various media:

Toyota CEO: This New Engine Will Destroy the Entire EV Industry!​

1701500519518.png

If you would like to read Toyota's September 2023 U.S. patent application, go to this article:

View attachment 995684

If you would like to read Toyota's September 2023 U.S. patent application, go to this article:
The article is BS. There's nothing about onboard electrolysis in the patent. It's just a different method to control water injection in a convention ICE.
This recent Toyota press release describes their future technologies. Plenty of BS, but no silly water engines.

I think ammonia is more realistic. ;)

As with hydrogen, I think the only way you'd scale it would be in PHEVs.
There is pretty much nothing in the current petroleum transportation fuels infrastructure that is compatible with ammonia, except I suppose the real estate. Even that is in question when you consider the hazmat disaster potential from leaks. Everything is much heavier and requires specialized hardware and training and comes with significant hazards. A truly honest cost/benefit analysis might surprise you.

View attachment 995684

It takes 75 KWH of electricity to split 18 Kg of water with electrolysis. That gets you 2 Kg of Hydrogen and 16 Kg of oxygen. 2 Kg of Hydrogen has 66 KWH of energy. If you can use 100% of that energy, you're still consuming 9 more KWH of energy than you're getting back out. And you need an energy source to create the 75 KWH of energy in the first place. It's not 100% efficient.

Is the car going to have a large battery to run the electrolysis plant? If you have a large battery anyway, might as well do away with the complex ICE drive train and go full electric.

Another problem with using water is if you aren't using distilled water, there will be dissolved minerals in the water that will be coming out of solution while you're making the hydrogen. Stationary electrolysis plants get around this by only electrolyzing part of the water and flushing the dissolved minerals out of the reaction chamber with the waste water. That would be difficult to do in a car.

Another issue is you would need to start the electrolysis process sometime before you plan to drive the car because you need enough fuel to get moving.

I know @Doggydogworld said the actual invention has nothing to do with electrolysis. Just making the point that putting an electrolysis plant in a car is a non-starter.

There is pretty much nothing in the current petroleum transportation fuels infrastructure that is compatible with ammonia, except I suppose the real estate. Even that is in question when you consider the hazmat disaster potential from leaks. Everything is much heavier and requires specialized hardware and training and comes with significant hazards. A truly honest cost/benefit analysis might surprise you.
The only real application of ammonia as combustion fuel is to replace bunker fuel in mid-range oceangoing ships. And even there ports might have problems as leaks could be worse than petroleum.

For the record, I’m all in on BEV’s. That said, I wanted to point out that you can’t decry the cost of producing ammonia today without considering economies of scale. If ammonia were produced in a volume that compares with gasoline production today, then I have no doubt that the cost of production for ammonia would come down dramatically.
Why? If only the cost of ammonia has significant embedded capital costs which would decline on a unit price level with scaleup.

I suspect that's not true, that much of the cost is embedded energy and input materials cost and it's already a major industrialized product with decades of experience in optimizing production. That means that scaleup is not a guarantee of low prices. In fact, when energy and material inputs are the limiting factor, scale up can have diseconomies of scale.