Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toyota to show new BEV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota iQ EV Wont Be Offered For Private Sale. Public Charging Chaos To Blame? | The Truth About Cars
... Toyota, fearful of getting caught in a bad bet if the SAE chooses an alternative standard, is not fitting its Tesla-developed RAV4 EV or iQ EV with a DC fast-charging port until the SAE commits.

Seems a bad call to me. Given the short range, they should go ahead and put a CHAdeMO port on it. That gives drivers the option of using it if it's available and Toyota can study the usage data. They can change to the SAE combo port in following model years if/when it ever gets approved.

Review of the ICE version:
Toyota's tiny Scion iQ is fun, cheap and drives nice - USATODAY.com

I wouldn't exactly call it cheap (you can probably get a more functional ICE for less money), but it does look like fun.

iqx-large.jpg

Jack Kevorkian likes it.

Its all part of the story, why carmaker are fighting agains electric cars. From noise issues to charging standards. They simply wont them. They don't want to loose their investment in ICE cars.

I strongly agree; I think it's why Toyota basically let their hybrid technology stagnate after good initial development. I think any large company tends to grow anti-bodies within that fight against anything changing the status quo. Heck, just look to Mazda's ill-informed statements for clear evidence that facts don't really matter when trying to preserve what they know.

This is old, but:
Growing EV Industry Still Divided Over DC Charging | PluginCars.com
...The Toyota RAV4 EV will make its comeback after first being sold 15 years ago. The vehicle won’t be made available to consumers, Yoza said, instead they are focusing on “very strategic applications” such as fleets and car sharing programs. Despite being a BEV that could benefit from fast charging, the RAV4 EV will not include a CHAdeMO charging port. Yoza said Toyota will not offer fast charging on any vehicles until the SAE determines a standard...