Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Chicago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your trip is after Monday, you might get lucky. The thread that Duckjybe mentioned (Supercharger - Maumee, OH) mentions that the SC may be running on Monday.

I wouldn't assume its functional even if it show up in the car NAV. Make sure you see that someone has charged there on TMC before counting on it.

Nice, that would save about two hours on the trip. You'd only need to add 200km range in Chatham (about 3 hours charge) then you're home free on the Maumee and Angola Superchargers.

That's now looking doable as a 1-day trip.

Nice, that would save about two hours on the trip. You'd only need to add 200km range in Chatham (about 3 hours charge) then you're home free on the Maumee and Angola Superchargers.

That's now looking doable as a 1-day trip.

I am super excited about this thread because my daughter and son-in-law live in the Chicago suburbs and I'm really looking forward to making this trip. I went there in December just before Christmas and had to rent an ICE because I didn't have the time for 4 days (both ways) on the road.

Something I've discovered while researching long-distance EV travel, is you have to be careful when estimating your charge times.

Sun Country chargers are often rated for 70 amps at 240V. However, most are installed at commercial locations with 3-phase power, providing only 208V (and this can often drop below 200V under charging load). I wouldn't count on more than a 60-70kph charge rate.

FANTASTIC! I leave Thursday :)
Current plan is a two day trek, but I'll adapt as news hits on the new supercharger!

If your trip is after Monday, you might get lucky. The thread that Duckjybe mentioned (Supercharger - Maumee, OH) mentions that the SC may be running on Monday.

I wouldn't assume its functional even if it shows up in the car NAV. Make sure you see that someone has charged there on TMC before counting on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be sure to update this thread from the road. I'm really looking forward to it!

I am super excited about this thread because my daughter and son-in-law live in the Chicago suburbs and I'm really looking forward to making this trip. I went there in December just before Christmas and had to rent an ICE because I didn't have the time for 4 days (both ways) on the road.

Something I've discovered while researching long-distance EV travel, is you have to be careful when estimating your charge times.

Sun Country chargers are often rated for 70 amps at 240V. However, most are installed at commercial locations with 3-phase power, providing only 208V (and this can often drop below 200V under charging load). I wouldn't count on more than a 60-70kph charge rate.

I wish PlugShare listed the voltage and amp rating of all stations. Sometimes people will include voltage in the comments, but it should be required considering the significant difference it makes to charge times.

The Chatham mall station is reported to be 240V 70A, which is a rare fast charger. The Windsor stations aren't rated so I'd assume they're 208V.

From the Supercharger threads, I see Maumee is live! I think you should try doing this in one day and set the new Toronto-Chicago EV speed record.

As strategy, you'll want to use as little energy as possible until you get to Maumee to reduce the time spent charging. Once you're on the Superchargers you can open it up.

Do a 100% charge in Toronto and keep the battery warm by having the charge end just before you leave, and pre-heating the cabin. Keep Range mode off to fully heat the battery. Once you start driving turn Range mode back on. Keep the heat cool but comfortable.

Drive 100km/h and draft trucks or buses until you get to Maumee. On the first part of the trip you'll be limited by the charge time, not drive time, so driving faster will be counterproductive. You'd lose more time from charging than you'd gain from a higher speed.

Stop at Chatham Downtown mall, which at 240V 70A is the fastest station between Toronto and Maumee. Have a look at the W/km you used on the first leg, and add just enough charge to get to Maumee (plus whatever buffer you're comfortable with).

On the leg to Maumee keep an eye on W/km and remaining distance. Slow down and draft a truck if it doesn't look like you'll make it.

Once you're on the Superchargers you're home free. I bet you can do the trip in under 12 hours if everything goes right. And have a backup plan if it doesn't! :smile:

Oh man...this sounds like a challenge now! I was going to stay overnight in Windsor so that I was fresh for my Saturday meeting in Chicago (we're working to to get treatment for a boy with a rare disease so I need to be on my game!) But this does seem like it's feasible.

I'm actually coming from Campbellford, ON, about 160 KM outside of Toronto - total distance is 1058 KM.

I'll update from the road. Perhaps I try to set the record on my way home!

From the Supercharger threads, I see Maumee is live! I think you should try doing this in one day and set the new Toronto-Chicago EV speed record.

As strategy, you'll want to use as little energy as possible until you get to Maumee to reduce the time spent charging. Once you're on the Superchargers you can open it up.

Do a 100% charge in Toronto and keep the battery warm by having the charge end just before you leave, and pre-heating the cabin. Keep Range mode off to fully heat the battery. Once you start driving turn Range mode back on. Keep the heat cool but comfortable.

Drive 100km/h and draft trucks or buses until you get to Maumee. On the first part of the trip you'll be limited by the charge time, not drive time, so driving faster will be counterproductive. You'd lose more time from charging than you'd gain from a higher speed.

Stop at Chatham Downtown mall, which at 240V 70A is the fastest station between Toronto and Maumee. Have a look at the W/km you used on the first leg, and add just enough charge to get to Maumee (plus whatever buffer you're comfortable with).

On the leg to Maumee keep an eye on W/km and remaining distance. Slow down and draft a truck if it doesn't look like you'll make it.

Once you're on the Superchargers you're home free. I bet you can do the trip in under 12 hours if everything goes right. And have a backup plan if it doesn't! :smile:

OK.
Here's the plan, but I could be convinced to drive it all the way on Sunday as a test. I have to swap vehicles in Toronto on Sunday anyway, so I get a free charge (car in for service). I'm heading into Sick Kids in Toronto with my son on Thursday so will do my typical hospital visit and park/charge at Yorkdale while I subway in. This will top up my charge to full for the journey to Windsor. Looking forward to the trip, and the adventure of driving electric the entire way!

1. Begin Campbellford, ON

Yorkdale Toronto:

3401 Dufferin Street, Suite 320, Toronto, ON M6A 2T9
(168 KM)

Windsor Comfort Inn:

2330 Huron Church Rd
Windsor, ON N9E 3S6
1 (519) 972-1100

(362 KM)

Angola, IN Supercharger

Angola, IN
3855 Indiana Rte 127
(245 KM)

Highland Park, IL Service Center - Supercharger

1200 Old Skokie Road
(304 KM)

6. Final Destination
Mundelein IL

(27 KM)

Good luck!

Toronto-Windsor is a long leg for winter. You should be fine if you get a full 100% charge at Yorkdale, keep the speed at 100km/h and draft trucks or buses. Keep an eye on your projected range, worst case you can top up in Chatham if it doesn't look like you'll make it.

If you're staying overnight in Windsor then you're better off hitting the St. Joseph Supercharger. It's a shorter total distance than Angola.

Last edited:
OK.
Here's the plan, but I could be convinced to drive it all the way on Sunday as a test. I have to swap vehicles in Toronto on Sunday anyway, so I get a free charge (car in for service). I'm heading into Sick Kids in Toronto with my son on Thursday so will do my typical hospital visit and park/charge at Yorkdale while I subway in. This will top up my charge to full for the journey to Windsor. Looking forward to the trip, and the adventure of driving electric the entire way!

1. Begin Campbellford, ON

Yorkdale Toronto:

3401 Dufferin Street, Suite 320, Toronto, ON M6A 2T9
(168 KM)

Windsor Comfort Inn:

2330 Huron Church Rd
Windsor, ON N9E 3S6
1 (519) 972-1100

(362 KM)

Angola, IN Supercharger

Angola, IN
3855 Indiana Rte 127
(245 KM)

Highland Park, IL Service Center - Supercharger

1200 Old Skokie Road
(304 KM)

6. Final Destination
Mundelein IL

(27 KM)

I think 362km may be ambitious depending on outside temperature and wind.

I am going to Detroit Sunday so I hope we don't happen upon the same chargers!

If you're staying overnight in Windsor then you're better off hitting the St. Joseph Supercharger. It's a shorter total distance than Angola.

And it avoids the Indiana toll road if you care about that (< $10 as I recall). But, if you are staying at the Comfort In, please call ahead and have them block off the parking spot at the EVSE. It is a prime spot by the entrance and was ICE'd both times we passed.

- - - Updated - - -

... but I could be convinced to drive it all the way on Sunday as a test.

You should do it. Weather looks good (tail winds until Chatham), moderate temperatures (-3 to +2 ˚C until Chatham). You will need to use all the superchargers, though. Charge to 40% SOC at Mishawaka and Angola, and to 90-95% at Maumee. Then to 80-90% at Chatham (depending on how your consumption is, but beware cross winds and lower temperatures from this point onwards).

It will be fun.

Its already booked to send me home in the P85 one. It's the Mississauga centre that it's going in to.
Sorry you had to have the ICE - awful to send in the car and receive a gas one back :-(

What was it in for service for?

If your going in for service at the Lawrence location, you probably will not get a Tesla loaner, they have only 4 and their out as of yesterday.

My car was in for service on Monday and Tuesday and they gave me a ICE.

Thanks!
Will check out the St. Joseph route.

Good luck!

Toronto-Windsor is a long leg for winter. You should be fine if you get a full 100% charge at Yorkdale, keep the speed at 100km/h and draft trucks or buses. Keep an eye on your projected range, worst case you can top up in Chatham if it doesn't look like you'll make it.