Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry events but no footage? Without buying an external SSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been discussed before but I still cannot resolve the issue with the reformat tips in prior threads and don’t want to buy an external ssd.

I recently got a MYLR and first week of having the car, I came back from work (I fly and was gone for 4 days) and had 43 events. They all showed up and it was just people walking past the car so I deleted them. I then took my car into the service dept to fix a scratch and misalignment of one of the panels that I noticed upon delivery. Since then, there is no footage when there are sentry events.

I keep getting notifications that there have been events but no videos. I have tried reformatting the drive on the car, didn’t help. Then reformatting on my desktop, still nothing. Then again on the car. This is getting frustrating and I don’t want to have to buy an external hard drive like other posts have recommended. I don’t plan on storing that much on it, I’d just like to have it work in the off case something happens.
A few days ago I noticed fingerprints around my passenger door, prior to ever having a passenger. Of course, there was an event, but no footage.
The dashcam recorded some footage from on the road (not sure why bc I didn’t honk), but I just want the sentry events recorded.

Any advice on troubleshooting I can do?
(I was up to date on software when this first started to occur).

When you reformat the USB, make sure there’s a TeslaCam folder. There was a time when formatting in the car didn’t always create one, don’t know if that’s still an issue. If that’s not it, try a different USB. The USBs that came with our Teslas are still working for us. You don’t need an SSD.

When you reformat the USB, make sure there’s a TeslaCam folder. There was a time when formatting in the car didn’t always create one, don’t know if that’s still an issue. If that’s not it, try a different USB. The USBs that came with our Teslas are still working for us. You don’t need an SSD.
There still is a TeslaCam folder. I’ll try another USB and make a folder for that. Fingers crossed that works! Thanks for the suggestion.

I just had another viewer issue today where the video froze and looped. And when I deleted the video it the viewer froze with two screens. This was using an SSD. Then I switched it back to the Tesla thumb drive and it did the same thing. So I did the two steering wheel thumb button reset, and the viewer still had issues. It could be hardware related, but then again since I also had these issues back when I had a 2018 Model 3 so that would mean it's software related. One think is that if I remove the drive and download the videos to my computer, they play fine. The SSD I used was designed for video and you'd think the Tesla thumb drive would be problem free too.

Reactions: aloharai
I just did a roadtrip from LA to Seattle and somehow, it miraculously fixed itself. I am very confused. The first video said it couldn't be played. Deleted it. Then everything after began to work.

Not sure about the Sentry mode malfunction, but if you want to check out recent video footage, I followed the instruction of below video and it worked,

This is definitely good to know if I ever really need a video of a hit or something. Thanks for sharing it!

Honestly I think there’s something wrong with some of the latest firmware updates. I have to reset the car to get it to recognize a drive. Keep getting check USB drive. I’ve got usb sticks, sd card readers, ssd drives. Everything working fine for years but suddenly doesn’t like anything. Will say check usb device, formats the, then says check usb again. But if I reset car it’s fine., until next drive.