Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam/Sentry mode? Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 4 month old Model Y with latest software installed. So, parked last night, had dashcam set to auto and sentry mode on. Returned to the car this morning, screen didn't alert on sentry mode (probably detected my phone key in range), got in the car and no sentry mode events which is good. Drove around half a mile and noticed the dash cam recording, not sure why as I thought on Auto it only recorded during an 'incident'? When viewing the dash cam footage it shows me walking around the car this morning and getting in, this is what I would have expected from a sentry mode recording but not the dash cam. Is the car getting confused with what to record via dash cam mode and what to record via sentry mode? Am I getting confused as to how these 2 modes work?

In summary, why did the dash cam record a 'non-event' and if it recorded me walking around the car first, is this not a sentry mode feature rather than dash cam?

Help appreciated.

Kind regards
Paul new(ish) Tesla driver.

Reactions: Skavatar
Have a 4 month old Model Y with latest software installed. So, parked last night, had dashcam set to auto and sentry mode on. Returned to the car this morning, screen didn't alert on sentry mode (probably detected my phone key in range), got in the car and no sentry mode events which is good. Drove around half a mile and noticed the dash cam recording, not sure why as I thought on Auto it only recorded during an 'incident'? When viewing the dash cam footage it shows me walking around the car this morning and getting in, this is what I would have expected from a sentry mode recording but not the dash cam. Is the car getting confused with what to record via dash cam mode and what to record via sentry mode? Am I getting confused as to how these 2 modes work?

In summary, why did the dash cam record a 'non-event' and if it recorded me walking around the car first, is this not a sentry mode feature rather than dash cam?

Help appreciated.

Kind regards
Paul new(ish) Tesla driver.

Tesla camera system is not a conventional dashcam.

It records everything continuously and erases the older ones. But saving is another thing. What you can view in the play mode now may not be there the next time you want to view it again because you didn't save it.

Reactions: Skavatar
Tesla camera system is not a conventional dashcam.

It records everything continuously and erases the older ones. But saving is another thing. What you can view in the play mode now may not be there the next time you want to view it again because you didn't save it.
Thanks for the info. What I'm also getting at is the fact that the dashcam appears to record all the time when auto is selected however, the definition of auto is worded as something like 'When a safety incident occurs'. I could simply stop the dashcam recording but feel this could be very useful.

My clips do save to the glovebox USB so at least that is formatted ok and working but I have yet to see anything saved from the sentry function, the clips all appear under All/Dashcam.

Tesla Dashcam mode is always recording while the Tesla Model Y is unlocked, in Standby mode. Dashcam video can be saved manually (by tapping the Dashcam icon on the screen); On Honk (when you activate the Tesla vehicle's horn) or when set to Auto will automatically save the Dashcam recording (when the Tesla vehicle detects an object in close proximity, predicts an imminent collision or after a collision where air bag(s) have been deployed. If Dashcam waited until after the incident to start recording then Dashcam would not capture the crucial lead up to the accident.

I have yet to figure out how to view sentry cam videos. This morning I got a notice saying 1 event was recorded but when I click on it, it shows no Dashcam footage saved - zero files. There is nothing in the TeslaCam folder. Nothing shows when I plug it into my Mac desktop either. I did format the USB using the touchscreen when I got the car, but maybe it's not properly formatted (see below)? I would like to figure out what I am doing wrong.

[edit: I may have found a setting that might have been my problem. Safety>Dashcam was set to OFF, I changed it to AUTO?]

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 4.16.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 4.16.07 PM.png
    406.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I have yet to figure out how to view sentry cam videos. This morning I got a notice saying 1 event was recorded but when I click on it, it shows no Dashcam footage saved - zero files. There is nothing in the TeslaCam folder. Nothing shows when I plug it into my Mac desktop either. I did format the USB using the touchscreen when I got the car, but maybe it's not properly formatted (see below)? I would like to figure out what I am doing wrong.

[edit: I may have found a setting that might have been my problem. Safety>Dashcam was set to OFF, I changed it to AUTO?]
I think you have to setup a difference partition to record sentry mode. At least this is the case in my Model X
BELOW from Tesla Site:
  1. Format the USB drive as exFAT, MS-DOS FAT (for Mac), ext3, or ext4 (NTFS is currently not supported).
  2. Create a base-level folder titled TeslaCam. You can use one USB drive for Dashcam, Sentry Mode, and audio files, but you must create separate partitions for each folder on an exFAT USB drive.
  3. Once formatted, insert the USB drive into the glovebox USB port (if equipped), otherwise use a front USB port in the center console. Do not use a rear USB port because they can be used only to charge devices. It may take a few seconds for Model X to recognize the USB drive.
  4. Once recognized, ensure icons for Dashcam and Sentry Mode are available when you touch Controls. Model X is now ready to record videos.