Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too young for a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Also, didn't have a history of "nice" cars.. my cars goes as fellows. A 1992 Honda Civic, A 1998 Malibu, a a 2001 Ford Mustang, a 2005 Ford Taurus, a 2012 chevy Cruze, and my first new car was a 2015 mustang GT. Now... a tesla model S 90D. So, you see how a tesla is an extreme jump for me
Congratulations on your success! Not picking on you, but I always love it when people list out their cars and how they "haven't had many" or "not that expensive" etc. Every vehicle and mile driven is a drain on resources, but most people don't realize how much. Let's see, I'm twice your age and have/had (drum roll please) a 2015 70D (roadtripper), 2011 Leaf (towncar), and 1992 truck (sold last month). All were purchased new with cash. Other vehicles for work and pleasure were/are all bicycles: 1998 Santana Tandem (weekender), 1994 Trek Mountain (ridden to work today), 1988 Touring (forgot the manufacturer, sold to a friend in college), 1983 Trek 10-Speed (sold as well), 1970's Peugeot 10-Speed (kept running until I couldn't find parts, left in front of a dumpster with FREE sign, taken and then returned the next week), and finally a 1960's Aero Bee Banana (long since deceased but repaired, rebuilt, rewelded (ever heard of Evil Knievel?) and repainted so many times that obsessive or persistent doesn't even begin to describe it). I don't often trade up or purchase new items and hope that the 2015 70D lasts as long as my 1984 Trek. I'll report back in 2045.;)

Two different aspects to this:
  1. Age. I have had many cars in my time but will have to tell you that you really do get more enjoyment from cars when you're young. When I was 17 I stretched and got myself a used Toyota MR2. I have to tell you I got more thrill out of that car than I did out of a brand new Porsche 911 C4 when I was 25, or the P85DL now (in my 40's). That is not to say I am not enjoying my Tesla, of course I am, I did a 6000 mile coast to coast trip in it last year while the rest of my family took a plane. Still, at 17 I drove that car 3000+ miles/month just because I liked driving it. There are some things that can be enjoyed more when younger.
  2. Money. That has nothing to do with age. It has to do with your situation, financial obligations and such. If you are single and don't have a family to support, you can spend most of your paycheck on a car and nobody should judge, if that is what you like. At 25 I had a 911C4 and a Toyota 4 Runner for hauling anything that the Porsche didn't fit. Bought them both new. When I got married, traded the Porsche for 2 brand new VW's and sold the 4 Runner. Part of life, priorities change. Don't regret any of it. As long as you take care of your obligations, who cares what other people think about you having an expensive car.

Reactions: idleuser
Also, didn't have a history of "nice" cars.. my cars goes as fellows. A 1992 Honda Civic, A 1998 Malibu, a a 2001 Ford Mustang, a 2005 Ford Taurus, a 2012 chevy Cruze, and my first new car was a 2015 mustang GT. Now... a tesla model S 90D. So, you see how a tesla is an extreme jump for me

Pfff, I have you beat. 1991 Toyota Tercel, 1993 Toyota Corolla(insurance money from totalled 1991 Tercel), leased 2009 Toyota Corolla w/ 0 options, 2000 Hyundai Sonata, leased 2012 Nissan Leaf, Model S 75.

The Model S, at $82k before taxes, is the first car I've owned that I paid more than $3,000 for.

This has come sooner then I've ever expected for me. Like most of my friends and Family, there were many years where I struggled and could hardly get approved for a 10k car loan. At the time, it felt like a slow process to get where I am today but know looking back and reflecting, I've exceeded those I know at a faster pace. I'm not used to having such expensive car. I'm used to owning cars in the 15-20k range and that was amazing enough to me. I felt success when I was able to buy a $36k 2015 Mustang GT at the age of 26 a couple years ago. Eveb at that level, I hardly personally knew anyone who had such a nice/expensive car.

Well, here I am today, just turned 29 and placed an order for a $90k car. (Taking delivery next week) and although it is within our means, it still doesn't sit right with me that I was able to do this and drive a car that's worth just about 100k... typing that didn't feel right lol it was always my unrealistic dream car but never at the age of 29. How did I get so lucky?

I wonder if there is anyone else here who almost came from nothing and now own a Tesla today or if there was anyone younger then 29 when their dream became a reality.
I still feel too young to have this car
When you say owning did you pay cash for the car or lease / borrow

I’m 23 and just picked up a P85. Not new, but well within my means.

Five years ago I had absolutely nothing, not even a solid place to live. A year later I bought an $8,000 car, and then 2 years ago I was on my own having just bought a 2011 Cadillac STS. Got a call a year ago for a nice job paying nice money, right in my preferred profession, and three weeks ago I started signing papers to buy my P85.

I’m driving a Model S, buying a house within six months, and traveling the country enjoying my job. Could I have spent the money on something better? Probably. Do i regret it at all, or do i think i will? Not one bit.

My only reason for not buying a brand new one is that I don’t like new cars. Nothing more. A P85 is a great car for me at a great price. As long as you have all your ducks in a row and you’re not putting your retirement savings into a car, you shouldn’t feel bad or worried at all.

Reactions: ModelX and nostik
"Afford" means many things to different people. The world wants you to believe you can afford something when you can cover the payments. I now see things differently. When it comes to cars, I have this philosophy: I can afford it only if I can pay cash for it after having all expenses, retirement, and emergency fund covered. Early in my life I spent too much time on the treadmill of payments or as my dad liked to say, "in golden handcuffs." I think I enjoy my life more now that I've taken care of my basic needs before the toys.

Reactions: FlyingCookie
1, can you really afford it?
2. Set a top amount
3. Buy it. The ROI will be a lot more than expected.
4. You are the book keeper, let us know in 5 yrs.
I just completed 10k miles in 4 months at ZERO cost. Now no one says a word about my S.
It was the most fun of my life, (I've had 6 corvettes).

Grew up ultra poor. Was used to having to share a $500 3rd hand car that had over 200k miles on it with other family members. Broke down all the time and nearly killed us multiple times. Drove a few other cars, all less than $1k in value throughout my 20s. Managed to get through college on a typical Ramen noodles diet, sometimes had to make decisions between buying food, paying rent, or buying my text books. I could never have all 3 at once. Depended heavily on limited government assistance to help me push through. After finishing a master's degree and getting myself established in my career and moving up the ranks pretty quickly, I was able to get a Tesla at 31.

1, can you really afford it?
2. Set a top amount
3. Buy it. The ROI will be a lot more than expected.
4. You are the book keeper, let us know in 5 yrs.
I just completed 10k miles in 4 months at ZERO cost. Now no one says a word about my S.
It was the most fun of my life, (I've had 6 corvettes).

I've done 4500 miles in 2 weeks at a total cost of $10 of electricity that I borrowed from a friend's house. Of that 4500 miles, 4000 has been billable to my company. A Model S is a GREAT way to make money if you have a job that involves a lot of travel.

Reactions: calisnow
I'm an old 34 I guess. My wife is younger. She earns 3x what I do (and I earn a lot!). We are fairly conservative financially but a Tesla gives us freedom to only own BEV (other car, only other car, is a LEAF -- otherwise our car is the 'L').

The Tesla allows us to visit my wife's family whereas the LEAF was very limiting. We gave our LEAF to my parents to use and got rid of an ICE from this planet with that gift. We both did not come from money and are both very uncomfortable that, in our short lives, we are approaching the lifetime earnings of our parents. Hopefully with prudence and shrewdness (buying a Tesla new was not shrewd or prudent but we all make mistakes, right?) we can build our wealth and retire early. Life is too short to make all right decisions all the time.

Reactions: ModelX
I grew up very modestly in an apartment with my parents. I never had my own closet, my room was very small and next to the kitchen. I didn’t have my own backyard and house like most of the other kids in school. It motivated me to want more and I wouldn’t be the man I am today without seeing the other side. At 21, I was able to successfully buy my own apartment after making some good money doing IT recruiting during the dot com boom and move out.

At 38, I have a very successful career in Cybersecurity, I have a very nice house with a beautiful family and bought my first Tesla. I thought when I bought my BMW in 2010, that was the automobile high of my life until I bought the Tesla. Don’t feel bad for your success, you deserve it!

Reactions: ModelX
They are a lot of people on the forum including myself under 25 that own a Tesla. It is an expensive car but regardless of our age, we are all fortunate to own one. And I hope we will all be fortunate to continuously upgrade every time Elon Tweets about a new feature....

Picking up my MS75 tomorrow and I definitely feel the guilt buying a $90k car. Just a few years ago, my wife and I would have never wanted to own a car more than $40k. Our first visit to the Tesla store a year ago changed everything. From the design, technology, and the innovative way that Elon continued to push his company forward, we finally decided to join the ZERO family.

Reactions: Max* and croman