Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Too Many Different Charging Adapters!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled up to a charging station yesterday and could not plug in. Turns out it only used CHAdeMO. No luck. I have a J1772 adapter, didn't fit. Do I need a different for each type of station?? How many charging adapters do I really need??

In North America you can only get ChaDeMo and J1772 adapters. In Europe you can also get a CCS Combo2 adapter. Hopefully in the future we can get a CCS Combo1 adapter here in North America. Even better, when the CCS 3 standard is ratified, I hope basically all manufacturers transition to it as a unified standard. Then all cars could charge on all networks, which is a huge utility for owners in areas where one network doesn't have a good presence.

In CA, the only adapters that you can get now are the J1772 and CHAdeMO. Which station did you use?
Actually Tesla sells quite a wide range of charge adaptors. See Gen 2 NEMA Adapters and you can also buy third party adaptors from companies like this one
Tesla Model S / X / 3 Gen 2 Charging Adapters – EVSE Adapters

Here is what Tesla sells.
8175E64B-DFAA-46E0-9DAB-6FC77CC1CC00.jpeg

Reactions: outdoors
Pulled up to a charging station yesterday and could not plug in. Turns out it only used CHAdeMO. No luck. I have a J1772 adapter, didn't fit. Do I need a different for each type of station?? How many charging adapters do I really need??
The answer to that is, “It depends on where you want to go.” If you will always be within about 150 miles (depending on the size of your Model 3 battery and assuming you start your drive with a close to full battery) of a Tesla Supercharger then the answer is “none”. If you want to get farther away from the Supercharger network it gets more complicated.

Tell us how you normally charge your car (at home, at work, some other way) and give an example of a trip you want to do that is away from a Tesla Supercharger and it will be easier to answer your question. But keep in mind that when it comes to EV charging stations not run by Tesla, you can charge from J1772 outlets only unless you buy the optional CHAdeMO adaptor from Tesla. You cannot charge from a CCS charging station outlet. No adaptor for that yet.

There are many different ways to charge a Tesla.
DC fast chargers are Superchargers, CHAdeMO and CCS. These are generally high speed chargers.
Tesla does not support CCS in the US. CHAdeMO is supported with the $500 adapter.

Level 2 chargers charge in 1 to 12 hours and are quite widespread. The J-1772 is the most common and the car should have the adapter. Destination, NEMA 14-50 are all examples.

Coming back to fast chargers they are generally Tesla vs the rest of the world, meaning you only go to the ones for your car

Tell us how you normally charge your car (at home, at work, some other way) and give an example of a trip you want to do that is away from a Tesla Supercharger and it will be easier to answer your question. But keep in mind that when it comes to EV charging stations not run by Tesla, you can charge from J1772 outlets only unless you buy the optional CHAdeMO adapter from Tesla. You cannot charge from a CCS charging station outlet. No adapter for that yet.

I usually charge at home, every night to 90%. If going on a trip I charge to 100%. I traveled from San Diego to Oakland, 480 miles. On the way up, I used Supercharger stations, there were plenty enough. When I got to hotel, they only had a level 3 charging unit, which I couldn't use. What is a CCS station?

Need depends on you.
If home Tesla charging and Superchargers can take you everywhere you need to go you need _zero_ adapters.

If you also need to use some AC charging on non-Tesla AC chargers, you need the J1772 adapter, which came with your car.

If you also need or want to use other DC fast chargers you need to identify which type they are:
1) CHAdeMO: you can buy an adapter for $450 (some Tesla clubs lend them out for trips) BUT you need a recent firmware which enables use of the adapter. Tesla didn't have to change the CHAdeMO adapter for the Model 3 to use it, so you can use an older one.
2) CCS: you cannot (yet) buy an adapter. Tesla has an adapter that can be used on "European" S and X, but not yet one for "North American" S, X and 3.

With a proper adaptor, Tesla can plug into pretty much every popular charger.

On the other hand, none of the other EVs can plug into a Tesla Supercharger.

Seems like many of the other Manufacturers choose their own charging protocols. They have not yet evolved enough to provide a universal charging system.

Oakland CA at Homewood Suites on Embarcadero
You mean the Chargepoint charger on the parking lot in front of their house on the left? That's actually a CCS charger. I was recently there with a friend who used it to charge his Bolt.
When I got to hotel, they only had a level 3 charging unit, which I couldn't use.
It's fairly unusual for hotels to have fast chargers. Mostly they have J-1772 or Tesla destination chargers for overnight charging.
Seems like many of the other Manufacturers choose their own charging protocols. They have not yet evolved enough to provide a universal charging system.
Every non-Tesla car maker with the lone exception of Nissan has adopted CCS in the US (and Europe).

With a proper adaptor, Tesla can plug into pretty much every popular charger.

On the other hand, none of the other EVs can plug into a Tesla Supercharger.

They've all chosen the only industry standard- CCS. Tesla is the one that went their own way, and honestly they could certainly end up going with CCS v3. Tesla is a member of the CCS consortium, CCS v3 offers a lot of benefits not only for EV cars but also for megachargers used on EV semi-trucks.

Tesla's current connector was a stop-gap while a newer CCS Combo was ratified. It wasn't strictly necessary, but they chose to go their own way and painted themselves into a corner. Higher speed charging is going to need a new connector anyway, so, why not wait until v3 comes alone and invest in adapters and charge connectors?

I usually charge at home, every night to 90%. If going on a trip I charge to 100%. I traveled from San Diego to Oakland, 480 miles. On the way up, I used Supercharger stations, there were plenty enough. When I got to hotel, they only had a level 3 charging unit, which I couldn't use.
I’m pretty sure the hotel did not have a Level 3 DC fast charger, it must have been something else. But leaving that aside, if you are at a hotel in Oakland and going to head back to San Diego you could charge in Alameda or Hayward before getting on I5 south.

If you plan your arrival in Oakland right you would arrive with enough charge to get to Alameda or Hayward the next day. No need to plug in the car every night.

Does that make sense?

I’m pretty sure the hotel did not have a Level 3 DC fast charger, it must have been something else.
And I am wrong. PlugShare shows a ChargePoint CCS charger at the Homewood Suites on Embarcadero in Oakland. So my apologies. Unfortunately, there are multiple reports on PlugShare that is isn’t working, though no recent reports (though even if it was working no Tesla sold in the US could charge from it). Not unusual in my experience to find a charger run by a commercial EV charging company out of order. The Tesla Supercharger network is much more reliable.

27019ED1-9FCA-4038-B379-4C1C85DB5720.png