Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To New Utah Model S Owners - Things I Learned Along the Way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got an email today with a delivery date to the Las Vegas SC with plans to truck it up here (although I think that the delivery date is incorrect). Are the taxes that we pay, the sales tax? Such as in Park City it is 6.35%? So, we would pay that on the total purchase price of the car? I also assume that if I register over in Heber or down in Salt Lake, they will use my residency as the city?

Thanks.

I just got an email today with a delivery date to the Las Vegas SC with plans to truck it up here (although I think that the delivery date is incorrect). Are the taxes that we pay, the sales tax? Such as in Park City it is 6.35%? So, we would pay that on the total purchase price of the car? I also assume that if I register over in Heber or down in Salt Lake, they will use my residency as the city?

Thanks.

Yes, you pay sales tax on the entire purchase price of the car. I assume the rate is based off of the registered address.

What did you Utah/SLC locals buy in the way of prepaid service plans and extensions? How about the ranger service? How many times have you had a ranger come work on your car since owning a Tesla? I need to decide by tonight...ugh! I am thinking just the 4-year plan and optional Ranger Service.

I've been shocked a couple of time recently by the size & type of car(s) I see sporting C plates. A BIG SUVish thing, ¿Highlander hybrid? and a full size pickup (big and old) that had a CNG conversion. Maybe C was too easy to get?

This is a great guide, thanks for writing it up. Saved me a lot of effort having to research it all.

A note to any other Utah owners. Most DMVs can do the VIN Inspection for you too. It only takes about 5 minutes for them to verify the VIN printed on the car matches what you write on the TC661 form. In the packet I received from Tesla, it included a TC661, and a completed bill of sale.

We had ProTint do the tinting for our Model S. We chose the 3M crystalline tint, as it has the best heat blocking properties. We went with crystalline 40 for the rear glass and the rear passenger windows. We went with the crystalline 50 for the front door windows. ProTint did a fabulous job

As a new Utah owner, I just want to also give props to ProTint. They did an amazing job on my car, and in less than an hour while I waited. $319 with tax for the Solar Gard on all windows. I went 40% on the forward windows and faded back to the darkest tint on the rear window. Very pleased with how much heat the Solar Gard blocks and how amazing it looks. I plan on going back to them for a full Xpel wrap.

I have also had really great luck with Luxe Auto Spa in Murray. They do fantastic detailing work, check them out.
Envision tint and wraps did the tint in my Volt, and its a great job. The heat rejection is fantastic. They will also wrap your car if you want to change the color.

We still hold Cars and Coffee every Saturday morning in South Jordan (106 and 700 west Beans and Brews) if anybody wants to come out. Usually I am the only one with an electric and it would be great to get more of a showing! Sometimes Denarius makes it out and the crowd loves his car.

Hopefully this legislative session they and change the laws to Allow manufacturers like Tesla to sell direct here in Utah.
I read an article about a 3 wheeled vehicle manufacturer in Provo who can't sell to local customers because of the law which doesn't allow manufacturers to have a majority stake in a dealership.
Its time to modernize the laws here