Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is the DMV going to get a viable third-party mechanic/shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The DMV must have one of the highest concentrations of Tesla vehicles outside of California, and many of them are outside of Warranty coverage. I would really like an option besides the Service Center for small things that anyone with some degree of experience can fix.

My own Model S needs:
  • Adjustment to the passenger door handle (it pops the door open uncommanded)
  • Sensor fix/replacement for the driver's side window (it has trouble finding the stops for door opening)
  • Instrument Cluster replacement (severe bubbles)
  • Exterior trim re-attached
  • Rear seat speaker not working
Some of these things I'm willing to try with my tools and Youtube, but it would be nice to get a quote from a shop that knows what they're doing.

I'm with you, even Tesla doesn't put the door panels back together right after a door handle install, I would love to take it somewhere where they aren't dealing with 5000 needy customers... I would pay extra for quality work.

Things I have done myself this year:
1. New windshield wiper motor $35 and a bunch of fender clips that Tesla broke last time it was in.
2. New headlights - AlphaRex NOVA's $2000, now my DLRs work and my LUX count is off the chart and I can see to drive at night. (since you are in NOVA you will know what road this is).
3. New rear spoiler - I freaking backed into our level two charger at work, it had a metal bar that protected it and clipped my carbon fiber spoiler, got a new one for $200. Why didnt they put in a curb block.
4. Key fob batteries
5. clean sunroof tracks so it slides better (Qtips and new lub)
6. Cleaned out the battery cooling condensers when I had the front fascia off to install the new headlights. I swear I have about a pound of debris on each sides (face diaper, cigar butts, sand, dirt, leaves etc)
7. Installed 2 new Universal Chargers on my own, in prep for the Cybertruck (one at home, one at the beach house)
8. Installing another charger for my son's new Y, just have to trench a new circuit to the curb and figure out how to hide the install from the HOA Nazi's. Thinking of getting a ground installed utility tub (like the one the water company uses) to hide the cable when not in use. I don't freaking have any idea why Tesla puts the FING charge ports on the street side of the car...

Last edited:
I agree.

It would be great to have someplace competent and willing to work on Roadsters.

Any time I can get one of the Tesla Service Centers to work on my Roadster, I end up having to source and buy the parts for them.