Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure readings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very glad I installed FOBO Plus on both of our Model S. Really nice to know pressures and temperatures. Interesting to see the wide swings with temperature. Nice to get warnings when readings are out of the parameters I set but not so low that it triggers the TM OEM TPMS. Can monitor both cars with 1 iPhone (FOBO Share).
I'm curious - what was the reason you chose the Plus over the standard FOBO Tire? It appears the only difference is the standard goes to 50psi and the Plus goes to 87. Is there more?

Considering that incorrect tire pressure will impact range (and safety), there should be a target to introduce it.
Agreed

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious - what was the reason you chose the Plus over the standard FOBO Tire? It appears the only difference is the standard goes to 50psi and the Plus goes to 87. Is there more?
Because of the 87 psi maximum, the Plus would likely be more accurate at Tesla pressures.

Tesla should have this, my tires somehow where cupped at 9000 miles and never got a warning. Check my tire pressures once a month, guess I will need to do it more often. It is my understanding that you will not get a warning until the pressures are 5 pounds under recommended inflation. So you could be driving around for a while with a tire or tires at 4 pounds under and not know it.

With the standard FOBO monitors, tires at 45lbs standard pressure will heat up to 50lbs on a trip - and that product has a max pressure of 50lbs, so you will get constant over-pressure alarms. The Fobo plus lets you bump the max pressure up a few pounds and avoid that...

My car told me last week that my rear right tire was low. It doesn't give the pressure, but at least it tells you which tire. I checked all of them and they all were at 40lbs except for rear right. I hope that helps!

You mean the car displayed on the screen which tire was the problem? I had a low pressure warning yesterday and all it said was "Tire pressure too low". Had to check all the tires to figure out which one it was!
I know Tesla has a way to look in the logs and see what the tire pressures have been. When I had my car in for service they said that my right rear tire pressure was low mutliple times and wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with the tire. So Tesla should have a way to implement an update that tells us which tire is the problem.
FYI: I have a 20xxx VIN

You mean the car displayed on the screen which tire was the problem? I had a low pressure warning yesterday and all it said was "Tire pressure too low". Had to check all the tires to figure out which one it was!
I know Tesla has a way to look in the logs and see what the tire pressures have been. When I had my car in for service they said that my right rear tire pressure was low mutliple times and wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with the tire. So Tesla should have a way to implement an update that tells us which tire is the problem.
FYI: I have a 20xxx VIN
Absolutely. Yeah it stated the rear right was the problem tire. Perhaps that did come on an update and your car will now do that! :) And I agree with the previous poster as well that, if the data is there, let's mine the actual PSI and send that to a tire maintenance screen or place those #'s next to each tire in an infographic in the settings.

Maybe it's that the just register which unit is at which location with a handheld reader (They have one) and then program the car. I know some cars are like this, so when you rotate the tires, the locations will be swapped. There's no way for us to tell unless the car reports to us which wheel is low. At some point I'll check my car and see if it does.

Deflated a tire, so I can answer specifically for a 2012 w/ 21" wheels and 6.2 firmware. No indication of which tire deflated.

This alert presented around 20 psi.
722ba13e3b34178f1bc5b37f519374c3.jpg

This alert presented around 20 psi.

Note that in normal use by the time 20 psi alert has been reached there is likely already considerable tire degradation. Real PSI readings are needed or a way to set the threshold to a reasonable value (like 40 psi). I suspect many of the pothole damages are because the tires are slightly low but not low enough to alert. With a real PSI display, many of these damages could be avoided.

According to Tesla's documentation, they use 2 different brands of TPMS. Maybe the newer system has the location capability.
Tesla is supposed to be high tech car company. I had a 2008 Porsche Cayenne before, it reports all the tire pressure reading on the display. When I rotate the tires, the car computer sense that change, and ask me to simply reset the tire location with a push of a button. When I bought a new set of winter tires and wheels with after market TPMS, it simply ask me to acknowledge the change, and works like a charm. Now we are comparing a 2015 model MS to a 2008 model SUV. I am not impressed at all. In another long thread, there were tons of discussion on the AP delay.

Note that in normal use by the time 20 psi alert has been reached there is likely already considerable tire degradation. Real PSI readings are needed or a way to set the threshold to a reasonable value (like 40 psi). I suspect many of the pothole damages are because the tires are slightly low but not low enough to alert. With a real PSI display, many of these damages could be avoided.

Agree and why I have Fobo.

+1. 20 psi is far too low

When the car is not driven, the TMPS goes into low-power mode and will not notice small changes in pressure. Apparently you have to drive the car over 30mph for a few minutes before it goes into full monitoring mode where it will detect the small loss of pressure.

So if you are going to accurately test the low threshold, do it right after driving around the block first.