Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure readings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why Tesla is not making small tweaks...its not like they are difficult to implement:confused:
Given the amount of hardware changes since the initial rollout, backwards compatibility issues, new features promised, and the limited number of engineers (particularly software QA engineers) it's not surprising that this is not number one on the list. When dealing with multiple hardware (the TMPS has been changed more than once) even small tweaks are non-trivial.

Ok, so i have maybe a dumb question for anyone/everyone on here, as not reading backwards too far...

Is it possible with the air pressure sensors Tesla uses, and perhaps other hardware required, to do what many lower end carmakers do, and allow for a display of PSI per tire, in a neat little graphic that shows PSI on each tire, alerts to a specific tire when low, allows for setting your pressure warning levels, etc?

This is something I've had in previous cars 2008+, VW Touareg, etc. How in the world does my brand spanking new MS not have this? Or is it another software add possibly?

-T

Is it possible with the air pressure sensors Tesla uses, and perhaps other hardware required, to do what many lower end carmakers do, and allow for a display of PSI per tire, in a neat little graphic that shows PSI on each tire, alerts to a specific tire when low, allows for setting your pressure warning levels, etc?

Tesla has used different TPMS over time. The diagnostic display shows that information (or did at one time, more than one TPMS has been used). What I don't know is if they can determine the wheel position. It's believed this is a programming issue, not a hardware issue.

Tesla is supposed to be high tech car company. I had a 2008 Porsche Cayenne before, it reports all the tire pressure reading on the display. When I rotate the tires, the car computer sense that change, and ask me to simply reset the tire location with a push of a button. When I bought a new set of winter tires and wheels with after market TPMS, it simply ask me to acknowledge the change, and works like a charm. Now we are comparing a 2015 model MS to a 2008 model SUV. I am not impressed at all. In another long thread, there were tons of discussion on the AP delay.

Yeah, my '09 Cadillac did all of that too. The display on the dash worked in "real time" as well. I could hook up my compressor and watch the PSI numbers on the dash climb as the pump worked, and when it reached my target, I would check it with a high quality pressure gauge and it was spot on with the car's own display.

The hardware is a stanrd TPMS system from an automotive supplier. Tesla didn't roll their own, they just did the integration. Clearly if service can read the pressures, the hardware is capable of it, so it's definitely just software at this point.

Yes, maybe it's down on the feature list in the 1000's and they just don't have time. Who outside of Tesla really knows what is going on there?

The hardware is a standard TPMS system from an automotive supplier. Tesla didn't roll their own, they just did the integration. Clearly if service can read the pressures, the hardware is capable of it, so it's definitely just software at this point.

Yes, maybe it's down on the feature list in the 1000's and they just don't have time. Who outside of Tesla really knows what is going on there?

Considering I can check tire pressure with leafspy on my Leaf they better support the equivalent or better on the Model 3 in 2017/2018. Just no reason not to allow checking individual tire pressures on a modern car.

According to Tesla's documentation, they use 2 different brands of TPMS. Maybe the newer system has the location capability.

Each TPMS sensor has a unique serial number which allows your car to eliminate the signals from other cars. So there is no need to do direction finding to know which tire is low, you just have to ID the location of each tire when the TPMS sensor is initially registered to the car, and when tires are rotated.

There is a good chance the data from each wheel is not calibrated. When you "reset" the TPMS the vehicle notes the current pressure values and then notifies you when pressures drop to 75%. So if you run 45 PSI and not happy to get notification only when pressure falls to 34 PSI then inflate your tires to 54, reset the TPMS, drive around the block to make sure it takes, then lower pressures back to 45, and should expect notification when they drop to 40 (40/0.75 = 53.3).

Each TPMS sensor has a unique serial number which allows your car to eliminate the signals from other cars. So there is no need to do direction finding to know which tire is low, you just have to ID the location of each tire when the TPMS sensor is initially registered to the car, and when tires are rotated.

There are 2 receivers in the car, so it probably knows which 2 are on each axle at least.

There is a good chance the data from each wheel is not calibrated. When you "reset" the TPMS the vehicle notes the current pressure values and then notifies you when pressures drop to 75%. So if you run 45 PSI and not happy to get notification only when pressure falls to 34 PSI then inflate your tires to 54, reset the TPMS, drive around the block to make sure it takes, then lower pressures back to 45, and should expect notification when they drop to 40 (40/0.75 = 53.3).
For Porsche, they read and display each tire's pressure, and gives a warning when any tire is 5 psi less than the others. Simple and effective, and the driver decides what action to take.

You mean tire pressure reading in psi or kPa (not low pressure alarm) on your center display of the Roadster?

PSI and temperatures on each tire. Been there since the car was delivered over 4 years ago.
article-1211917-06094884000005DC-535_233x295 (1).jpg