Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire pressure - Hot or cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My knowledge of the car stops at putting air in the tires. And the only reason I can manage to do that is that I have this neat gadget that combines a tire gauge with a filler. Clip it on and read the pressure; pull the trigger to add air. Before I got this thing, I let so much air out of the tire trying to read the pressure that I never knew what I had.

What's the name of the device? That sounds interesting.

What's the name of the device? That sounds interesting.
It's called a Psiclops. Not shown in the picture is a little button on the back that will let air out if you put too much in. I don't remember if I bought it in a store or on line. Their web site does not show up, and Amazon lists something with the same name as no longer available and has one bad review, but I don't know if it's the same model as mine.

The hose extending off the frame goes to a small 120-volt air compressor.

I do feel guilty using free air at a gas station to fill the tires on my EV. Plus, since we're supposed to check them cold, the only way I can do that is at home.

Attachments

• IMG_2901.JPG
    IMG_2901.JPG
    698.5 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    818.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    803.1 KB · Views: 257
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a much smaller digital gauge that fits anywhere. It's not really needed for the Roadster, though, because of the TPMS. I haven't even seen the pressure drop, which is probably standard for new tires with healthy rims and firmly seated beads.

Mine was delivered with the tire pressure at the "comfort" setting. My c.a. said it's better for the tires to be inflated to the "recommended" setting, so I pumped them up.
Good choice. For dry pavement and basically all normal conditions, the recommended settings are much better. If you expect to drive in challenging conditions where the roads will be more slippery than usual, then the 'comfort' setting is safer (as well as smoother feeling).

I have the sport suspension, and your experience reminds me that I should check the settings to see where they are right now. If your Very Orange and mine were delivered with different tire pressures, then it's equally possible that my suspension settings are not the usual factory defaults that others are reporting. In any case, my ride is smooth enough for me with the recommended settings, so I feel no desire to change to the comfort setting, but that's not surprising since I've always used higher pressures.