Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on Auto Registration of new car (Tesla) in Hawaii - Things to do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 90% of my registration process completed yesterday. Just need to go back and get the final safety check after I figure out how I'm going to "mount" my front plate. Thanks again to the awesome folks who came before me and put together the tips and tricks document. It really helped! I did run into a few issues during the process though and wanted to share just in case. I'll preface everything with the biggest problem I had was with the Bill of Lading. When I took delivery, the SC gave me a copy of the Honolulu Freight Service trucking receipt (looks like a print screen from a web page) and copies of receipts from Horizon Lines for the 40 ft. container the car came in. I specifically asked Jimmy when I took delivery about an original and he said that was all there was available. YMMV, but here were my experiences. I also shared these comments with the SC team and my DS, just in case there's anything that can be done for future deliveries.

Safety check location: Bavarian Motor Experts - no issues. Will be returning early next week to get the final safety check.
DMV Location: Fort St. Mall

@ State Tax Department:
I went around 12:30 on Friday. I could not find the EV stalls on the Mauka side of the building. Not a big deal, since there's lots of (free) street parking on Punchbowl & Halekauwila St. and restaurant row is a short walk and they have free chargers there (but you have to pay for parking). I waited about 10 mins after I pulled my ticket to get called. The tax department clerk gave me a hard time with paying my use tax, because they could not determine if the shipping costs to Hawaii were paid. I explained that the "destination and regulatory doc fee" on the final purchase configuration sheet includes shipping, however I think they would like to see it explicitly stated someplace in the configuration or MVPA. They were also confused with the copy of the bill of lading documentation, why it was a copy and why there was not a shipping cost printed someplace on it.

@ C&C DMV (Fort St. Mall)
I spent almost an hour at the DMV because: (a) I needed to fill out an original application for registration (they wouldn't accept the copy provided at delivery (I was prepared for this - thanks!); (b) I didn't have an original bill of lading; and (c) the copy of the bill of lading lacked a signature that they would accept. They asked me multiple times why I didn't have an original BOL document - this seems to be a key issue for them. In the end, they made me sign something as the registered owner attesting that I brought the car here and I didn't have a shipping document as evidence, but that was after multiple back and forth with the clerk and her supervisor.

Also, they gave me a June 2014 registration sticker even though it's August now, so I'm losing out on one month of registration fees. The clerk explained the one year registration period starts based on the date the car landed here, which was July 31 per the BOL documentation I provided. The timing is just like the safety checks - doesn't matter what day in the month it is. It's just bad timing really, but FYI for those with cars that arrive near the end of the month. Registration fee was approx $400.

Got 90% of my registration process completed yesterday. Just need to go back and get the final safety check after I figure out how I'm going to "mount" my front plate. Thanks again to the awesome folks who came before me and put together the tips and tricks document. It really helped! I did run into a few issues during the process though and wanted to share just in case. I'll preface everything with the biggest problem I had was with the Bill of Lading. When I took delivery, the SC gave me a copy of the Honolulu Freight Service trucking receipt (looks like a print screen from a web page) and copies of receipts from Horizon Lines for the 40 ft. container the car came in. I specifically asked Jimmy when I took delivery about an original and he said that was all there was available. YMMV, but here were my experiences. I also shared these comments with the SC team and my DS, just in case there's anything that can be done for future deliveries.

Safety check location: Bavarian Motor Experts - no issues. Will be returning early next week to get the final safety check.
DMV Location: Fort St. Mall

@ State Tax Department:
I went around 12:30 on Friday. I could not find the EV stalls on the Mauka side of the building. Not a big deal, since there's lots of (free) street parking on Punchbowl & Halekauwila St. and restaurant row is a short walk and they have free chargers there (but you have to pay for parking). I waited about 10 mins after I pulled my ticket to get called. The tax department clerk gave me a hard time with paying my use tax, because they could not determine if the shipping costs to Hawaii were paid. I explained that the "destination and regulatory doc fee" on the final purchase configuration sheet includes shipping, however I think they would like to see it explicitly stated someplace in the configuration or MVPA. They were also confused with the copy of the bill of lading documentation, why it was a copy and why there was not a shipping cost printed someplace on it.

@ C&C DMV (Fort St. Mall)
I spent almost an hour at the DMV because: (a) I needed to fill out an original application for registration (they wouldn't accept the copy provided at delivery (I was prepared for this - thanks!); (b) I didn't have an original bill of lading; and (c) the copy of the bill of lading lacked a signature that they would accept. They asked me multiple times why I didn't have an original BOL document - this seems to be a key issue for them. In the end, they made me sign something as the registered owner attesting that I brought the car here and I didn't have a shipping document as evidence, but that was after multiple back and forth with the clerk and her supervisor.

Also, they gave me a June 2014 registration sticker even though it's August now, so I'm losing out on one month of registration fees. The clerk explained the one year registration period starts based on the date the car landed here, which was July 31 per the BOL documentation I provided. The timing is just like the safety checks - doesn't matter what day in the month it is. It's just bad timing really, but FYI for those with cars that arrive near the end of the month. Registration fee was approx $400.

Thanks for the update - hopefully they'll continue to work on getting the bill of lading issues sorted out. Frustrating that we're still having problems with this ... (sigh)

DMV Good Experiences - Where did you go.

We had heard as of Aug 2013 that there are about 120 Model S's on Oahu. The Tips to Auto Registration has helped many new owners navigate the process because we must each perform our own registration. However not every clerk (no disrespect intended) working at the Dept of Taxation or each Satellite DMV is familiar with the various versions of documentation that we get from Tesla. So, we need to continue to contribute here to refine the process.

If you had a good experience or difficulty with your DMV registration, please post in this thread. Tell us the location and time of day. If you know or can get the name of the clerk and/or supervisor, please share that too.

I can edit the first reply/post of this thread and add those locations, time and names so new owners will have choices of where our best experiences were. Even knowing the locations used most often could make a difference. This information might save someone extra effort. Maybe we could post a rating to measure our ease or difficulty. Rating - 1 being really hard and 10 being no questions, no issues or no documentation questioned.

As other owners add their comments, to this thread, I will go back to the first post and add the info to the bottom.

I will start. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate my experience as a 7
Kaneohe Satellite DMV, April 2013, Tuesday afternoon. Clerks names unknown.
The BoL was a copy from Matson, did not show a cost for the shipping. The Tesla Configuration page showed "Tesla Personal Delivery $990" After the supervisor had a look at all my documentation, he ruled the "Tesla Personal Delivery $990" was the shipping charge, but they were not happy the BoL was not an original.

@Akikiki - Fort St Mall on a Friday ~ 2pm: 6 of 10. Don't recall clerk's name, but she did acknowledge she had not done a Tesla before. Just Leafs.

The Tax dept. clerk made almost the same comment you noted at the DMV re: shipping cost; since it was not itemized on the config page, she accepted my explanation that the Destination & doc fee amount seemed reasonable for the cost of shipping. The reason why they are concerned is the shipping cost is part of the landed value that you must pay tax on, so they're trying to prove that the amount that you're calculating the tax from includes the cost of getting the vehicle here, regardless of who paid it.

I will start. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate my experience as a 7
Kaneohe Satellite DMV, April 2013, Tuesday afternoon. Clerks names unknown.
The BoL was a copy from Matson, did not show a cost for the shipping. The Tesla Configuration page showed "Tesla Personal Delivery $990" After the supervisor had a look at all my documentation, he ruled the "Tesla Personal Delivery $990" was the shipping charge, but they were not happy the BoL was not an original.

Wahiawa DMV, June 2013, morning around 8 when they first open -experience 8. Clerk seated at the far right - she had a huge area so maybe she was a supervisor. Waited only about 10 mins in line. note there are 2 areas...dont go to the one where people are taking their permit and driving tests. No real issues other than it was one of her first EVs so she had to follow steps on a memo they received so it took a little while. We had to fill out an original app for registration vs the photocopy Tesla sends. Good thing my hubby was with me. Point off also for Parking which is bad here. Small lot and people stay there awhile for their permits/driving tests. Street parking is bad too..had to park pretty far.

Ala Moana Satellite City Hall - 1st trip - forgot my inspection... reset.
Ala Moana - 2nd Trip, staff seemed knowledgeable about EV, but said I would have to go to the reconstruction office because my VIN was not in the system. said they would call me with date and time to bring my car in. Waited a week and never heard from them.
Kalihi - stopped to see if I could do the registration but was again told my VIN was not in the system and I had to go to the reconstruction office. received a call within a few days for the appointment.
Back to Ala Moana - registration only took a few moments to get my plate.

Taxes
1st time at the tax office circled the block many times in my ICE to find a parking space, when I finally found one, deposited quarters in the meter and then I got a call from the driver delivering my MS, said he would be at my home in about 15 minutes...
turned around and left a full meter. Just as well, I would have still needed the SIGNED bill of lading, all I had was a copy. Bill of lading was Horizon (shipped on Matson)
2nd time at tax office - end of tax period and crowded. waited about an hour. didn't have the Final Delivery Doc with the "Personal Delivery" charge listed. Went home to find it.
3rd time at the tax office, still end of tax period and still crowded, waited about an hour, supervisor remembered my from the day before and helped me with some corrections to my paperwork on the side, once paperwork was correct it only took a few minutes to complete.

Last edited:
Wahiawa DMV, June 2013, morning around 8 when they first open -experience 8. Clerk seated at the far right - she had a huge area so maybe she was a supervisor. Waited only about 10 mins in line. note there are 2 areas...dont go to the one where people are taking their permit and driving tests. No real issues other than it was one of her first EVs so she had to follow steps on a memo they received so it took a little while. We had to fill out an original app for registration vs the photocopy Tesla sends. Good thing my hubby was with me. Point off also for Parking which is bad here. Small lot and people stay there awhile for their permits/driving tests. Street parking is bad too..had to park pretty far.

Not to mention going to Wahiawa gets you a much lower EV license plate number than Ala Moana, if there is a preference.

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Amendment and Compilation of Chapter 19-133.2
Hawaii Administrative Rules May 11, 2011
§19-l33.2~24 Issuance of certificates of inspection and affixing of inspection stickers.
(b) After the certificate of inspection is signed, a two-part inspection sticker shall be affixed by the inspector upon the right, most nearly vertical portion of the rear bumper of the vehicle or on another appropriate place, such as, a special bracket installed horizontally under the right portion or center of the rear bumper or a bracket attached to the rear license plate oriented either vertically or horizontally where the sticker can be clearly viewed by a person who is fifty feet behind the vehicle. The rear window or license plate is not an appropriate place. If the bracket on the license plate is attached to the top or bottom, it must be oriented so the stickers are displayed horizontally with the month sticker on the left side of the year sticker. If the bracket is attached to a side of the plate, the bracket must display the stickers vertically with the month sticker affixed in an upright position above the year sticker, which also must be affixed upright.

i was told during a recon inspection that the vertical bracket on the right side of the plate only applied to license plates mounted to the car's bumper and not cars whose plate is mounted to the trunk as with the model s. can anyone confirm or deny this?

i was told during a recon inspection that the vertical bracket on the right side of the plate only applied to license plates mounted to the car's bumper and not cars whose plate is mounted to the trunk as with the model s. can anyone confirm or deny this?

Finally someone else had to do a recon inspection...:rolleyes:
I have seen so many cars with the plate side bracket, that it is probably the interpretation of that one individual inspector. it seems that most inspectors don't have a problem with it.

heh, i am just a tesla fan not an owner. recon was for a different car.

i totally agree with you and i kind of figured that regardless of whether or not it is legal, it seems to be very low risk to have it mounted there.

New Model S owner here. Just wanted to send out a mahalo to Akikiki for the very helpful list of things to do in order to register the car. I managed to do everything without a hitch and with a minimal amount of time and fuss. Got my safety inspection with blue copy. The next day, off the the State Tax office; I had never been there before. I went early (about 7:30) and was first in line. Took about 15 minutes since I had everything filled out. Then a short drive to Ala Moana to get my registration. I was helped by Jessica who was great. Again, all my papers were in order. Final step-final safety inspection to get the stickers.

Also mahalo to the community for the useful information and tips.

I hope to contribute something in the future. I've already had a couple of friends drive the car and they were blown away. One owns a Jaguar and the other a Mercedes.
Gotta go now and drive the future!

New Model S owner here. Just wanted to send out a mahalo to Akikiki for the very helpful list of things to do in order to register the car. I managed to do everything without a hitch and with a minimal amount of time and fuss. Got my safety inspection with blue copy. The next day, off the the State Tax office; I had never been there before. I went early (about 7:30) and was first in line. Took about 15 minutes since I had everything filled out. Then a short drive to Ala Moana to get my registration. I was helped by Jessica who was great. Again, all my papers were in order. Final step-final safety inspection to get the stickers.

Also mahalo to the community for the useful information and tips.

I hope to contribute something in the future. I've already had a couple of friends drive the car and they were blown away. One owns a Jaguar and the other a Mercedes.
Gotta go now and drive the future!

Welcome tommyboy808 :) Share with us your car config when you have a chance :)

i totally agree with you and i kind of figured that regardless of whether or not it is legal, it seems to be very low risk to have it mounted there.

my friend spoke with a safety check station about the bracket on the trunk issue and they told him it actually used to be illegal but was recently changed and is now allowed!

tommyboy808, Thank you for the Thanks. But it was not just me, not just one. That's the consolidation of serveral of us and our experience. It will continue to change and we will document it for the next new owner.

Welcome to the team.

Look under Settings after you log on. You can see where it shows "Signature". You can put your configuration in there and it will appear with all your posts.

- - - Updated - - -

scsi, Wow. Thanks for doing that leg work to get the info.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the group and while im waiting for my MS to be delivered next month, I was contacted by Tesla this week and advised that prior to its arrival I would receive everything needed to register it. Thanks to Akikiki and others who have contributed to this posting to make it as smooth as possible for those of us following in your path. I'll post about my registration experience once done.

Aloha!