Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ticking" issues on new cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you to the OP for creating this thread, because I have this ticking noise and it drives me crazy. It's happening in my car every 4-5 seconds and happens at 1mph to 104 mph ( fastest I've been ;) ) and anywhere in between. The other day I started to think it had something to do with the brakes because I can "make" it happen by pressing and releasing the brakes rapidly from a full stop (creeping off the line). My car goes to Tesla Service in Costa Mesa on 1/4 for the center console to be installed and I'm hoping they'll be able to address this issue then.

I have a 11/2014 Build P85 with AutoPilot - and despite the issue I love every second I am in the car!

In my P85D I found I could hear this sound if I got in, closed the door, and had the stereo off. The sound is very very slight, but noticeable. I tested this at night in total silence.

The car was charging at the time, so I am not sure if that makes a difference, but since it was charging, the motor did not activate.

Further, if I lightly tapped the brakes in this same 0mph test, I heard a strange 'digital crackling' sound coming from the are of the actual brake pedal.

Some of you must be hearing a different sound. The EM braking tick starts at precisely 25 (or was it 26?) mph. If you are absolutely hearing it below those speeds, then this is even stranger.
It sounds identical to the recording posted earlier. In any event, I have very sensitive hearing, and would not consider the sound to be annoying at all. I only noticed it because I was looking for it.

An update, after taking my car in for service yesterday (Friday)...

First of all, the Sunnyvale service center is great; everyone was extremely courteous, attentive and friendly. The service tech I drove with heard the clicking and seemed to be surprised by it, saying that he would find it annoying as well. The service advisor appeared to know exactly what was causing the issue.

As had been previously mentioned in other threads, there is a service bulletin regarding the electromechanical brake booster, and my September-delivery P85 was affected. They performed the replacement (iBooster - Model S (1037123-00-A)), but the same ticking sound is still present every 4 seconds above 25 mph.

The service advisor confirmed that he checked with Engineering, and the ticking sound is due to the operation of a valve in the brake booster. Unfortunately, as stated on the service invoice, "This is the normal operation of the electromechanical brake booster as it is actively performing internal checks." I didn't even get told about a possible firmware fix. It seems like they were taking great care to avoid calling this issue a problem or design flaw.

When I'm driving, the car is otherwise so amazingly silent that this periodic "click... click... click" is like hearing a dripping faucet or fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm dealing with it by always having music playing in the car to mask the clicks. It's disappointing that I need to do that, though.

To others having the same issue, I'd encourage you to make a service center appointment and have it checked out. Even if the problem doesn't get rectified immediately, having many owners bringing in their cars can show Tesla that there is an issue here to be fixed.

An update, after taking my car in for service yesterday (Friday)...

First of all, the Sunnyvale service center is great; everyone was extremely courteous, attentive and friendly. The service tech I drove with heard the clicking and seemed to be surprised by it, saying that he would find it annoying as well. The service advisor appeared to know exactly what was causing the issue.

As had been previously mentioned in other threads, there is a service bulletin regarding the electromechanical brake booster, and my September-delivery P85 was affected. They performed the replacement (iBooster - Model S (1037123-00-A)), but the same ticking sound is still present every 4 seconds above 25 mph.

The service advisor confirmed that he checked with Engineering, and the ticking sound is due to the operation of a valve in the brake booster. Unfortunately, as stated on the service invoice, "This is the normal operation of the electromechanical brake booster as it is actively performing internal checks." I didn't even get told about a possible firmware fix. It seems like they were taking great care to avoid calling this issue a problem or design flaw.

When I'm driving, the car is otherwise so amazingly silent that this periodic "click... click... click" is like hearing a dripping faucet or fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm dealing with it by always having music playing in the car to mask the clicks. It's disappointing that I need to do that, though.

To others having the same issue, I'd encourage you to make a service center appointment and have it checked out. Even if the problem doesn't get rectified immediately, having many owners bringing in their cars can show Tesla that there is an issue here to be fixed.

It may be that this is normal operation of the iBooster and that the ticking noise is normal. It might be possible to modify something in software to reduce the noise but I wouldn't count on it. It might also be possible to muffle the sound with some type of insulation (@artsci seems to be the expert here, but he's completely absorbed by "tire noise" now).
It's ironic that since the car is so quiet that every little noise becomes an issue. If this were a roaring Ferrari ICE, do you think anyone would hear or care about this ticking?