Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent issues with using Track Mode data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm having problems with the data coming out of the car in track mode that I'm not seeing being discussed generally on the internet or this forum. Being that many of the posts I'm finding are from a few years ago and seeing a behavior change myself with how it's worked in the last year or so. I'm assuming it's new behavior and am looking for a good way to mitigate it or compensate for it.

My problem is that the elapsed time column is 0 for all recorded data points before the car crosses a set start/finish line. This is making it very difficult to synchronize data to video as not only is the elapsed time missing. The gap between data points is not consistent when there is data. So I can't just fill in the time at each point. There is even difficulty in making a total time column for use with RaceRender as the entire pit out and outlap sequence, which can be well over two minutes, has no time associated with it at all which makes syncing even the car's video feed to the data hard to do. I don't remember having this issue when I first started autocrossing the car and feel like this is something that has changed since I've owned it.

Does anyone have recent experience in using the track mode video/data? Is there a workaround or something I'm missing to make this easier? Please forgive me for posting this if it has been discussed recently already but I have legitimately searched for a good while on google and this forum for even a discussion on this topic and haven't found much other than old posts going over the basics of how the telemetry is recorded and tips for how to get it into race render.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I used it a few weeks ago and all data was fine. It didn't start until after the first lap was completed since pit exit was after the finish line. Irrelevant for me as the first lap was for getting ready. How many laps did you run, and did you mark the finish line correctly?

Tesla changed the track mode software so the ET doesn't start until the first cross of the marker around a year ago but didn't tell anyone.
I'm trying to narrow it down to a particular software release but I can only tell by looking at archived files it happened between November '22 and May '23. If anyone reading this has .CSV files recorded between those dates, take a look.

There is also an issue with Intel Atom based cars where the data is duplicated and/or corrupted. This can lead to Track Mode suddenly disengaging for no apparent reason. I've reported this to Tesla here in the UK several weeks ago but no progress yet. That only happens once the timer has started, so if you don't set a marker and aren't bothered about lap timing you won't suffer from that issue.

To get round the ET issue with Racerender all you can really do is delete the data until the first line cross and go from there, so you effectively lose your out lap.

Bottom line is, for Atom-based cars, TM is effectively broken if you want to lap time. But there just aren't enough of us using the feature to make fixing it a priority and I wonder if a fix is even possible with the Atom MCU as it seems to get overloaded with the amount of data being generated and crashes out.

If you get a TM disengagement please report it via the app with a timestamp. Unless more of us report the issues they won't fix it.

Here's my thread about it:

Last edited:
Appreciate the responses, My apologies for not checking back until recently.

I used it a few weeks ago and all data was fine. It didn't start until after the first lap was completed since pit exit was after the finish line. Irrelevant for me as the first lap was for getting ready. How many laps did you run, and did you mark the finish line correctly?
I didn't have an issue at a recent track day though it was still really annoying to have to deal with removing the out lap and syncing the video. At the very least I have the end point of the video that I can sync against and then make minor corrections. This is also still a real pain for autocross but I was able to work around this by placing a point before the starting line and then making sure I hit start on track mode before I get to that line. Like Dangerous Fish said this behavior of it not time stamping "Lap 0" when you hit start on the map screen after enabling track mode is somewhat recent.

Tesla changed the track mode software so the ET doesn't start until the first cross of the marker around a year ago but didn't tell anyone.
I'm trying to narrow it down to a particular software release but I can only tell by looking at archived files it happened between November '22 and May '23. If anyone reading this has .CSV files recorded between those dates, take a look.

There is also an issue with Intel Atom based cars where the data is duplicated and/or corrupted. This can lead to Track Mode suddenly disengaging for no apparent reason. I've reported this to Tesla here in the UK several weeks ago but no progress yet. That only happens once the timer has started, so if you don't set a marker and aren't bothered about lap timing you won't suffer from that issue.

To get round the ET issue with Racerender all you can really do is delete the data until the first line cross and go from there, so you effectively lose your out lap.

Bottom line is, for Atom-based cars, TM is effectively broken if you want to lap time. But there just aren't enough of us using the feature to make fixing it a priority and I wonder if a fix is even possible with the Atom MCU as it seems to get overloaded with the amount of data being generated and crashes out.

If you get a TM disengagement please report it via the app with a timestamp. Unless more of us report the issues they won't fix it.

Here's my thread about it:

That's unfortunate, I haven't reported it as a bug but I guess I could try doing that. I wonder if someone made a change to reference the current laptime in the file generally so now lap 0 simply sucks in that reference instead of the video elapsed time *until* a lap is recorded for some reason.

My car is a Q1 2021 US car with an Atom processer. Fortunately for me I guess, I have never had track mode disengage on me at all. I'll certainly report it if I see it. Until now I've never really had an issue with data. I had only ever used it for autocross up until a few weeks ago though. Not an actual track event.

It's really nice when it works well. I'll share a vid of it with only track mode video + some data visualizations.

Reactions: scalbert03