Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things my wife said about Navigate on Autopilot tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife: "Why is it so jerky?"

Me: "Well, it can decelerate somewhat abruptly while on freeway interchanges..."

Wife: "It's not just around corners, it's all the time on the freeway; why do you use it if it is so bad?"

Me: "Well, I'm trying it out; I think maybe you notice less if you're driving"

Wife: "Well, I notice it. It's ok to try it out if you're the only one in the car, but it isn't cool to do it otherwise"

Me: ...

Wife: If you keep trying to use it, I'm going to stop riding in this car, and we're going to have to take my car*. It's not relaxing.

Me: <disengages Autopilot for remainder of trip>

<a couple minutes pass>

Wife: It's much smoother now. Did you turn it off?

Me: Yes, I did.

Wife: I'm much more relaxed now.

* My wife's car is a Chevrolet Spark EV. That tells you something.

You can't make this stuff up!

Here's hoping that Tesla discovers low pass filters soon.

I find it quieter with out the wife in the car...lol...and I love the "Navigate on Autopilot" even with its quirks as it is getting better with each update

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It is called 'confirmation bias'; no-one likes to admit they were fooled into paying big dollars for something that does not live up to the hype. I am on the same page as you. Realized after about 2 months that I paid a lot of $$ for something that does not perform as advertised. Elon claims that it is the only car that will appreciate in value, while he depreciates the value by dropping prices. I am still waiting for my FSD retrofit, but not holding my breath that it will improve anything. I actively tell folks not to buy Tesla (for this reason, and because their customer service sucks and they refuse to fix quality defects); wait for the many other options coming out in 2020/21.
I understand what you are saying and I am familiar with Confirmation Bias but I think the phenomenon is more severe. It is/was in the case of FlexRadio and is in the case of Tesla. There was a post on Twitter about how flawlessly the model 3 (maybe V9 in general) holds the center of the lane. I responded something to the effect of are we looking at the same vid because what I see categorically is not holding the center. A few trounced on me saying I must be looking at the wrong car (the one in the lead) which I was but in focusing on the lane lanes off the front left and front right it was apparent the M3 wasn't holding the center either. Both the jerkiness and phantom braking have gotten demonstrably worse in recent software updates. I cannot comment on the improvements in video games as...I wasn't a child of the 80s.

I just rest my hand at 7 o’clock on the wheel and it provides enough torque pressure. Doesn’t abort.

That will work. I think I had a habit of using no pressure (letting up) on lane changes before no confirmation or when I initiated. If your torque is consistent through the lane change it won't abort. It becomes smooth after a while but I had a lot of aborts the first few sessions. But I no longer use NoA at all now. It's not safe and more work.

Me: "Well, it can decelerate somewhat abruptly while on freeway interchanges..."

Wife: "It's not just around corners, it's all the time on the freeway; why do you use it if it is so bad?"

Wife: "Well, I notice it. It's ok to try it out if you're the only one in the car, but it isn't cool to do it otherwise"

Wife: If you keep trying to use it, I'm going to stop riding in this car, and we're going to have to take my car*. It's not relaxing.

<a couple minutes pass>

<a couple minutes pass>

I do not have full AP. I bought “adaptive cruise control and assisted steering” for $1,000 each when offered about 2 months after I bought my midrange M3 in Feb. 2019. I use the features only on trips on freeway with passengers. I use adaptive cruise control even around town when by myself. ACC is still too jersey and is embarrassing with passengers around town. I use it because it adds to safety of driving. One change they need to make and should easily be able to change is the braking and acceleration pattern of ACC. I accelerate a bit more gradually when taking off after a stop, and definitely brake more gradually for the benefit of the driver behind me. These should be adjustable like “Chill”.

At least in a HW2.5 car, categorically no. The V9 software can't read speed limit signs no matter where they are. However, that said, it does pick up geocoded speed limits and perhaps, doubtful in my opinion, the road contains a conflicting geocoding. And I've observered phantom braking when there is no overpass involved whatsoever.

I never said anything about reading Speed Limit Signs. It's the GPS Posted Speed Limit on the highway getting confused with the GPS Posted Speed Limit across the highway (Bridge / Overpass). You can disable GPS Posted Speed Limit adjustments by setting the offset to -20.

It might not be just GPS Posted Speed Limits but some roads are marked with a hard limit by AutoPilot and it suddenly thinks you are on that road and not on the highway. Weird thing is, it never says anything (Entering Restrict Speed for Auto Steer) so I think it's just a Speed Limit change which it would not post a warning. Or it corrects itself so fast it never posts the warning.

What ever the case using -20 offset seems to help a ton for me.

• Disagree
Reactions: wcorey
The best cure for jerkiness in TACC is to set your follow distance to 5 or 6 cars. This seems to make the autopilot less nervous since it has more room to respond to the car in front of it (just like a human driver). Also I continue to assert that 'Chill' mode does moderate TACC throttle and breaking response (though others seem to disagree), but with a follow distance of 5, the jerkiness pretty much disappears..

As in most software projects, the 80/20 rule definitely applies here and to FSD in general. Tesla has spent 3 years with its own software to reach the 80% point. That next 20% will take 80% of the time, or another 4*3 = 12 years (and probably more than a few more hardware upgrades).

The best cure for jerkiness in TACC is to set your follow distance to 5 or 6 cars. This seems to make the autopilot less nervous since it has more room to respond to the car in front of it (just like a human driver). Also I continue to assert that 'Chill' mode does moderate TACC throttle and breaking response (though others seem to disagree), but with a follow distance of 5, the jerkiness pretty much disappears..

As in most software projects, the 80/20 rule definitely applies here and to FSD in general. Tesla has spent 3 years with its own software to reach the 80% point. That next 20% will take 80% of the time, or another 4*3 = 12 years (and probably more than a few more hardware upgrades).

Feature complete (80%) is not due to end of 2019 (which we also know will be late).
So that would be 4*4 and the clock starts (for the last 20%) in ~2 years.
So make that 18 years. Wait that would be 4*5 + 2 years. Make that 22 years.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The best cure for jerkiness in TACC is to set your follow distance to 5 or 6 cars.

At the time of the aforementioned consternation of the wife, I had following distance/time set to 6 (it is measured in units of about 0.5 seconds, not cars). To the extent it does help (I haven't noticed that it does too much but haven't paid super close attention), it is rendered less helpful when changing lanes, when the distance to vehicles in front can be reduced dramatically, and the car has to adjust to the driving style of that driver briefly. I had to have the vehicle make 5-6 commanded lane changes (I have ULC disabled) in relatively quick succession to transition from I-15S to 163S to 52W.

<a couple minutes pass>

My wife and I just came back from a 2-month, 24,000km road trip (Canada and US). There were many, many instances where Autopilot and NOA almost got us into accidents, and my wife too asked why we were even using these if it was going to be so jerky and unpredictable. Here is where it was worse:
1) driving by an on ramp where cars are coming up the ramp: never knew when it would (again) slam on the brakes instead of allowing a smooth merge. This almost caused a crash by a motorcyclist who was following us, never expecting a sudden stop:((
2) off ramps where there were no dotted lines at the ramp continuing the normal roadway markings. Never knew if it was going to drive smoothly on the normal path or swerve right then left to stay in the middle of the “lane”
3) off ramps to the left. Wow, that was scary as three times while in the fast lane the car veered very abruptly left then right and then hit the brakes:((( Don’t know why we were never rear-ended but imagine a lot of very pissed off drivers thinking we were brake-checking them:((((
4) NOA only indicated the need to pass a slower vehicle and then to go back into the right lane maybe 30% of the time, the rest I had to do myself
5) NOA approaching the off ramp: the car would not consistently take the ramp, and even where it did it was so last minute that we were sure it would not do it. Very unpredictable.
HOWEVER: on those long stretches of boring, boring highway, Autopilot and NOA were soooo nice to have and really helped get to our destination more rested. Too bad these nice stretches were often interrupted by hair-raising moments. My wife, like yours, much prefers that we not use Autopilot and NOA....

Agreed. I've been seeing similar posts, and I'm wondering if all of these reports of "jerkyness" are coming from owners who don't have "hardware 3" yet - my model 3 was made just before they started making new cars with hardware 3 already installed. Can anyone with hardware 3 chime in?
my S has hw3 and it's very smooth.. still gets phantom breaking but that's the only complaint. just one piece of anecdote..

I have a August 2018 build whatever that HW is. Our Autopilot/TACC is unusable on the highways as it just slams on the brakes every minute or so for shadows and cars that change lanes. I now only use TACC on slower city roads where the car can't crack my neck with deceleration. Which is exactly what it says to not use it for. So I paid $2K for TACC :eek:.

I have a August 2018 build whatever that HW is. Our Autopilot/TACC is unusable on the highways as it just slams on the brakes every minute or so for shadows and cars that change lanes. I now only use TACC on slower city roads where the car can't crack my neck with deceleration. Which is exactly what it says to not use it for. So I paid $2K for TACC :eek:.

What do you have your follow distance set to? I have mine set to 7. I rarely have those braking events.

• Disagree
Reactions: DrDabbles
Don't feel too bad. I paid $5k.
Does anyone else feel that Autosteer is actually the best functioning part of Autopilot?
My only complaint is that it holds the center of the lane too well near semi trucks and of course it doesn't work in the right lane very well.

Reactions: DrDabbles
Does anyone else feel that Autosteer is actually the best functioning part of Autopilot?

In general plain autosteer (AP only) is pretty decent. Two complaints with autosteer-related stuff:

1) When it inexplicably aborts in the middle of a commanded auto lane change (I have ULC disabled, and I apply torque to the wheel during the maneuver, even though it is not as strict with ULC disabled). The resulting swerve can be quite sudden.

It's a small anecdote based on anecdata, but I've found that the auto lane changes can be skittish when there are any merging lanes in the vicinity, even when they are irrelevant to the requested maneuver, and there is zero traffic.

2) It can have varying performance when steering around highway interchanges. White-knuckle-inducing performance. For example, 163S to 52W. It should steer in the lane to cut off the corner very slightly and maintain distance from the k-rail. Putting that aside, it can feel a bit jerky and it often disengages on such corners, because it steers to the point of conflict with my steering inputs.

Last edited:
To describe my conclusions about autopilot-

• In light traffic it's fine and following lanes, handling some interchanges, and some exits. It fails frequently at overpasses. It prefers the right-most lane and fails miserably when approaching a vehicle on on onramp by slamming on the brakes to allow the person onto the highway.
  • In medium traffic it fails constantly with unnecessary or aborted land changes, jerky following of traffic, cutting faster moving traffic off, not moving out of lanes as faster moving traffic approaches. Traffic volume likely keeps it out of the right-most lane.
  • In heavy traffic, I occasionally get a request to move to a different lane and need to dismiss it every time it's suggested. Lane changes are too timid in heavy traffic, but for the most part keeping it in my current lane works fine and that's the choice it makes 80% of the time. If I don't disable HOV lane preference, it will demand I move to the HOV lane no matter what, and I tend to turn off AP for this reason after a while. Stops and starts are jerky no matter the follow distance or chill setting. Heavy traffic mostly works though.

So, because nobody here is doing rigid, repeatable, scientific testing, everything is anecdotal. And because time of day, weather, and traffic volume have a major impact on the system, we're bound to have some people thinking that the system is flawless and others thinking those people are insane. Add on top of that the fact that some drivers are total garbage and think slamming on the brakes on the highway is a perfectly acceptable thing do to, and we've got ourselves a conversation leading to nowhere.

What we need is repeatable test parameters that can highlight failures, successes, and improvements over time.
yeah, improvements like an actual QA team at Tesla!

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have the exact same situation. While my curiosity allows me to continue to tolerate and experiment then my wife has veto’ed any use of autosteer and every time the car phantom breaks on TACC I get heat for “my” bad driving.
Quite frankly, for any long distance highway trips I still prefer my old diesel car. Needless to say it is hugely disappointing to buy a new car and realize that the old one performs better on a basic driving functionality like TACC.
While I am scientifically curious to the Why (neural network learnings bla bla) but emotionally it really doesnt matter Why.
Bottom line is that when people ask why I still have my old diesel car my reply is that this is because my Tesla Model 3 is doing a pretty sad job with TACC and AutoPilot.

Part of using Autopilot is learning when not to use it.
A skillful Autopilot using driver also knows when to turn off Autopilot because they are paying attention to the task of driving the vehicle like they should. It is really easy to avoid Autopilot jerky behavior with the flick of the wrist.
Anybody that believes Autopilot is or should be infallible needs to pay more attention to the instruction to remain alert because they obviously do not know how to obey. Autopilot is a blessing in the right circumstances but it can be aggravating when it is used when it shouldn't be. The joyful use of Autopilot occurs when the skillful driver understands and internalizes these facts. So in my opinion, those people who are complaining about Tesla's execution of Autopilot are actually complaining about their own deficient driving skills.