Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor The Tire Rack is proud to be a part of teslamotorsclub.com !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone please educate me on the merits of ordering from TireRack vs. a local tire specialty shop that also offers general ICE car maintenance? I have always used the latter due to availability of general service, free tire repairs and rotations, etc. (which is worth at least $50/yr/car). [BTW, I'm in the "hoping to buy a Tesla in a year or two camp", unless I can somehow hold off until G3.]. Thank you.

Last edited:
Could someone please educate me on the merits of ordering from TireRack vs. a local tire specialty shop that also offers general ICE car maintenance? I have always used the latter due to availability of general service, free tire repairs and rotations, etc. (which is worth at least $50/yr/car). [BTW, I'm in the "hoping to buy a Tesla in a year or two camp", unless I can somehow hold off until G3.]. Thank you.

My local tire shop price-matches TireRack, including TR shipping fees. So since they also offer free mounting/balancing, rotations, and hazard insurance, I bought 4 Hankook tires from the local tire shop. When I went to get them installed -- guess what -- the tires were shipped there from The TireRack!

OK, thanks. Any suggestions on how we could let Michelin know about the demand for this product size? Maybe they think this particular market is not big enough? Do you get any requests for the PSS in this size other than from P85+ owners?

OK, thanks. Any suggestions on how we could let Michelin know about the demand for this product size? Maybe they think this particular market is not big enough? Do you get any requests for the PSS in this size other than from P85+ owners?

We stock the Pilot Sport PS2 in 265/35R21, and that has traditionally been somewhat of a slow selling size. Other than the Model S, only Porsche uses this size as OE (Panamera) so demand is fairly low. In the grand scheme of things, I think that this size will get produced in the Super Sport but there are higher volume sizes out there waiting as well.

Has anyone tried the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 from Tire Rack in 21"? My car is due for new tires and these tires certainly LOOK nice and are inexpensive relative to the other offerings.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with:

- handling
- noise
- effect on battery consumption
- treadwear

Thanks!

Rob

Has anyone tried the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 from Tire Rack in 21"? My car is due for new tires and these tires certainly LOOK nice and are inexpensive relative to the other offerings.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with:

- handling
- noise
- effect on battery consumption
- treadwear

Thanks!

Rob

I just put those on my P85+ (yes, non-staggered) and I love them. Much more "civilized" than the Michelin PS2, at less than 1/2 the cost. I've noticed no difference in energy usage.. noise seems to be a bit less than the PS2. Handling is different, only because I'm now running 245s in the rear instead of 265s, but that's only a very slight difference when taking fast turns, like on an highway ramp. Overall, I'm very pleased with them. I also bought a 5th tire to put in the frunk in case I get a flat or road hazard, I a least have the correct replacement on hand, and I only need to get towed to the nearest garage to mount it.

I just put those on my P85+ (yes, non-staggered) and I love them. Much more "civilized" than the Michelin PS2, at less than 1/2 the cost. I've noticed no difference in energy usage.. noise seems to be a bit less than the PS2. Handling is different, only because I'm now running 245s in the rear instead of 265s, but that's only a very slight difference when taking fast turns, like on an highway ramp. Overall, I'm very pleased with them. I also bought a 5th tire to put in the frunk in case I get a flat or road hazard, I a least have the correct replacement on hand, and I only need to get towed to the nearest garage to mount it.

Hank, you've made my day. Thank you for the review!

I'll order them from TR right away. I have the PS2s also, and they are almost finished so it's time to get them replaced. I've got about 24,000 km (15,000 miles) on them. Not too impressed with treadwear, but such is the story it seems with Model S.

Thanks again!

Rob

Maybe "Doc" from tire-rack can comment -- when I went to get the Hankooks mounted on my car, the tire shop (Town Fair Tire) covered the little white bar code label on the outside bead itself with a black rubbery substance. They said it's because those labels cause leaks. What's the story on that?

Per our tire tech;

"....nearly every tire has a barcode in the bead area. Put there so the tire company can track the tire through the plant and after for warranty issues, etc. In our experience these bar codes create very little risk for air loss. They are positioned near the top of the lip of the wheel, which is above the primary and secondary seal point of the tire's bead area with the wheel.

The black rubbery substance is a bead sealer material. We don't recommend it unless necessary. 99.99% of the time with a new tire and clean wheel there is no air loss issue. A good, dry and clean fit between the tire and wheel is always best.

Removing the barcode is very difficult, and causes other issues. It usually tears away a little rubber in the process, making a bigger mess and greater risk of air loss down the road. "

Doc has it right. The sealing area of the tire is the bead toe (thats the pointy end away from the rim flange). I'd suspect that if a tire shop is having frequent leaks that they're blaming on the bar code, there is something else wrong. An example would be not lubricating the tire properly and tearing the bead toe during installation. Even though the tire may initially seal correctly, air will eventually work it's way through the non-air-tight rubber that was exposed by the damaged bead toe.

I have a question for doc@tirerack. My Tesla is coming next month with 19" wheels. These wheels are, I believe, 8.5" wide. The new wheels I'm looking at are 9" wide. I am going to stay with the same tires. Will this be OK?

Thanks

When I wanted to put my 21x9" rear rims on the front (with 245/35/21 tires), I was told here that the 9" rims on the front could cause some clearance/interference problems when turning. So I got two 8.5" rims for the front to avoid that problem. YMMV.

I have a question for doc@tirerack. My Tesla is coming next month with 19" wheels. These wheels are, I believe, 8.5" wide. The new wheels I'm looking at are 9" wide. I am going to stay with the same tires. Will this be OK?

Thanks

The 245/45R19 tire size can safely fit any wheel that is between 7.5" and 9" wide. With a few exceptions, all the wheels we sell are 19x8.5" .

The 245/35R21 has a rim width range between 8" and 9.5" for reference.

Hank, you've made my day. Thank you for the review!

I'll order them from TR right away. I have the PS2s also, and they are almost finished so it's time to get them replaced. I've got about 24,000 km (15,000 miles) on them. Not too impressed with treadwear, but such is the story it seems with Model S.

Thanks again!

Rob

Let us know how the tires perform on our magnificent Montreal streets Rob, I may get them next year if you give thumbs up !

I just ordered the Hankook's from Tire Rack and thus far, the experience has been excellent. Got email from Tesla service after dropping off my car for something else, saying all 4 needed to be replaced and they provided pricing for new OEM's. Went online and ordered Hankooks from Tire Rack for about 50% of the OEM cost and it took 5 minutes or less. They will be at service center in 36 hours. Got a confirmation call from Tire Rack minutes after I completed order. And Telsa service was terrific about it all and more than happy to install. I dislike the short tire life of a Tesla with 21's, like everyone, but am really amazed and relieved at how simple it was to obtain and have installed affordable replacements. Hope the Hankooks are as good as advertised.