Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor The Tire Rack is proud to be a part of teslamotorsclub.com !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought 4 - 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my P85 from Tire Rack day before yesterday(2/18) and they arrived yesterday and were installed at a recommended Tire Center. Today I received an email from Tire Rack stating there was a promotion of a $70 Master Card for buying any Michelins. That makes me feel crappy to say the least.

Have you asked them about a retro-active promotion? I've done that in the past. A couple of years ago, I sold a house for some profit, and deposited the funds into my brokerage account. Two weeks later, they started a promotion to deposit at least $x (which I had) and get an Apple Gift card. I called them up, and it needed manager approval, but they did it for me.

I bought 4 - 21" Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my P85 from Tire Rack day before yesterday(2/18) and they arrived yesterday and were installed at a recommended Tire Center. Today I received an email from Tire Rack stating there was a promotion of a $70 Master Card for buying any Michelins. That makes me feel crappy to say the least.

Try emailing them directly (and any other company) before griping about it. You may find that they'll honor it. I'd say its just poor timing and had this happen many times, not like they did it on purpose. Its like someone buying a car from you personally then getting a flat from a nail they ran over and telling others and blaming it on the seller to make them feel better. Again its not the sellers fault, and some had good timing and luck. But others, bad luck and poor timing. Lottery cards you buy are another example, because the person who bought a ticket after you won a million bucks from their ticket, you you can't blame them, the store, the lottery commission. Just some people are at the right place at the right time.

But my point is don't flame people/businesses until you actually discussed your problem with them and they failed to come up with a fair justification or resolution.

With that said, if the TireRack can remind us on this board about any tire sales that will work with the Tesla Roadster (my ride) or the Model S (other's rides) please post.

Last edited:
I am not flaming or blaming anyone. I posted my story hoping that the Tire Rack Rep posting here may be able to help out. Mr Wiztecy, you are getting carried away with your remarks. All I did was post what had happened. HankLloydRight, thank you for your suggestion. I am going to get in touch with them. Hopefully in future Tire Rack will give us a heads up about any promotions.

I am not flaming or blaming anyone.

>Today I received an email from Tire Rack stating there was a promotion of a $70 Master Card for buying any Michelins. That makes me feel crappy to say the least.

I posted my story hoping that the Tire Rack Rep posting here may be able to help out. Mr Wiztecy, you are getting carried away with your remarks. All I did was post what had happened.

From reading your post it appeared you were pissed at the Tire Rack and wanted to let everyone know about it, to me, it appeared you felt crappy (even worse than crappy because you said "to say the least"). Through this wording that implied that tire rack was at fault for making you feel worse than crappy due to their business model of sending out promotions after you bought the tires. I bought tires from the Tire Rack and very pleased hence my reply to your thread for that I didn't feel crappy after I received my tires but actually felt I got a great deal even without any promotions and also they were shipped very fast. To me and possibly other viewers it sounded like you were flaming them due to not getting this promotion. Possibly you wanted to sensationalize your post to get the tire rack's attention, I don't know. All I know is that it gave me a negative feeling of the tire rack.

Case in point, people don't know the emotions of what your writing here and can look bad for a business if someone says they felt crappy after buying a companies product. I was pointing out that if you run into any issue with a company, try resolving it with them first before making a post where people can interpret it in many ways including negative. If they don't listen to you nor want to resolve it, then discuss the problem with the forum. Also if you were just saying, hey guys, I just bought some tires and now they're running a promotion on them so it sounds like a great deal. That alerts everyone else about the promotion in a positive way. You could also state that you missed the promotion and curious if the Tire Rack could make this promotion retro-active. There's a difference in they way you post and how it comes across to people.

Carried away, I'm not being carried away, I'm defending a business that I had a great experience with and don't want others to get the wrong idea from your email that implied felt you felt pretty bad about the business transaction, which was a negative connotation, due to the tire promotion that was sent after the tire purchase.

Last edited:
From reading your post it appeared you were pissed at the Tire Rack and wanted to let everyone know about it, to me, it appeared you felt crappy (even worse than crappy because you said "to say the least"). Through this wording that implied that tire rack was at fault for making you feel worse than crappy due to their business model of sending out promotions after you bought the tires. I bought tires from the Tire Rack and very pleased hence my reply to your thread for that I didn't feel crappy after I received my tires but actually felt I got a great deal even without any promotions and also they were shipped very fast. To me and possibly other viewers it sounded like you were flaming them due to not getting this promotion. Possibly you wanted to sensationalize your post to get the tire rack's attention, I don't know. All I know is that it gave me a negative feeling of the tire rack.

Case in point, people don't know the emotions of what your writing here and can look bad for a business if someone says they felt crappy after buying a companies product. I was pointing out that if you run into any issue with a company, try resolving it with them first before making a post where people can interpret it in many ways including negative. If they don't listen to you nor want to resolve it, then discuss the problem with the forum. Also if you were just saying, hey guys, I just bought some tires and now they're running a promotion on them so it sounds like a great deal. That alerts everyone else about the promotion in a positive way. You could also state that you missed the promotion and curious if the Tire Rack could make this promotion retro-active. There's a difference in they way you post and how it comes across to people.

Carried away, I'm not being carried away, I'm defending a business that I had a great experience with and don't want others to get the wrong idea from your email that implied felt you felt pretty bad about the business transaction, which was a negative connotation, due to the tire promotion that was sent after the tire purchase.

wiztecy, fyi I had already contacted Tire Rack re the promotion and was told by them that nothing could be done about it. Secondly, I had posted on TM forum about the great deal at Tire Rack for these tires. Lastly I was in the automobile business for 25 years and ran one of the largest BMW dealerships in the country before retiring. With my blessing our used car manager bought thousands of tires for over 200 used BMWs we always kept in stock over the years! So, I know all about Tire Rack and have probably given them more business than anyone else! By the way I mentioned this to the person at Tire Rack to no avail.

Anyway, the problem is resolved. If you look at the post from doc above, he will get me the rebate.

@DOC

It appears Yokohama's Japanese web site list the AD08 R available in size 205/50/R16 which should work on the front of Tesla Roadster and match the AD08 R Rears the TireRack sells nicely instead of the AD07 front's we're stuck with. We've never seen this size available for sale in North America. It's available in Japan, Australia... Is there any way you can import / get this tire for us? The Roadster owners would love your for it! I'm sure you'll have people on the Lotus forums wanting to buy it as well as others.

Can you get back to us on the details please?

Thank you!

wiztecy, fyi I had already contacted Tire Rack re the promotion and was told by them that nothing could be done about it. Secondly, I had posted on TM forum about the great deal at Tire Rack for these tires. Lastly I was in the automobile business for 25 years and ran one of the largest BMW dealerships in the country before retiring. With my blessing our used car manager bought thousands of tires for over 200 used BMWs we always kept in stock over the years! So, I know all about Tire Rack and have probably given them more business than anyone else! By the way I mentioned this to the person at Tire Rack to no avail.

Anyway, the problem is resolved. If you look at the post from doc above, he will get me the rebate.

Out of curiosity, how many days could go by between purchase and promotional rebate where someone wouldn't be entitled to a retroactive rebate?

(And really nice of the Tire Rack to retroactively extend the offer to make you happy, even though they did nothing to cause a 'problem'. Props to them.)

@DOC

It appears Yokohama's Japanese web site list the AD08 R available in size 205/50/R16 which should work on the front of Tesla Roadster and match the AD08 R Rears the TireRack sells nicely instead of the AD07 front's we're stuck with. We've never seen this size available for sale in North America. It's available in Japan, Australia... Is there any way you can import / get this tire for us? The Roadster owners would love your for it! I'm sure you'll have people on the Lotus forums wanting to buy it as well as others.

Can you get back to us on the details please?

Thank you!

+1 : this would be great!

Agreed!

Doc@TireRack: I just got the new 'Inside Track' catalog from Tire Rack. In the catalog, you feature pictures of Porsche, Audi, BMW, Chevy, GM, VW, Nissan, Hyundai, Subaru and a few others. No Tesla. What do you think about showing off a beautiful Model S in the next one with some nice TireRack wheels? I know the Model S market is still relatively small, but I think it has a lot of marketing cachet for you and would help with brand awareness for all parties.

Doc@TireRack: I just got the new 'Inside Track' catalog from Tire Rack. In the catalog, you feature pictures of Porsche, Audi, BMW, Chevy, GM, VW, Nissan, Hyundai, Subaru and a few others. No Tesla. What do you think about showing off a beautiful Model S in the next one with some nice TireRack wheels? I know the Model S market is still relatively small, but I think it has a lot of marketing cachet for you and would help with brand awareness for all parties.

Point taken.... I'll make a mention of it. At least the Model S isn't an orphan like my G8 (I never did make it into the pages of Inside Track);

20_Hurst_Dazzler_MachinedBlkA_8979.jpg

It will be my pleasure to leverage the technical expertise and real world knowledge Tire Rack has accumulated over thirty years in the business to help members of this forum get just the right wheel, tire and other products needed to build on the amazing platform that is the Tesla S.

Welcome! Here's a project, how about one of those doughnut spare tires or a folding spare that would fit in the Frunk.

- as noted above, an inflatable, light doughnut/spare tire for longer road trips

The spare may be a tough one, but we hope to have more 19" and 21" options in the Spring when our new wheel models are announced !

Here's the tire we need:
For 19" AND 21" Continental 0352901 (155/70 R19 LR113)
Diameter is only 4-6mm smaller so it wouldn't throw off ABS/ETC/Regen

Here's the wheel we could use for it:
BMW E53 (02-06 X5) 19" space saver spare P/N (36 11) 6756858

Wheel is correct with bolt pattern and will fit over the gigantic front steering knuckle.

Put that package together and you have yourself quite a few customers.
Now that I've posted that info, if you don't offer these, you're going to have a bunch of Tesla owners scouring the internet to find these without you. ;)

The other option we might have is the BMW i3 wheels and/or tires. The i3 is essentially riding on four donuts to get its range.

Absolutely agree that's an ideal spare size, and the BMW bolt pattern works perfectly.

But according to realoem, that part number is an 18" wheel, not a 19". That 18" wheel should work, too, but it obliviously won't work with that tire.

Or is there a 19" wheel option I'm missing?

RealOEM.com BMW E53 X5 4.4i Emergency wheel, light alloy

I have no idea why I typed that part number. I had 6756858 jotted down here in my research. I've edited my post to correct it.
Thanks!

Ah, thanks--yes, that looks like it would be nearly perfect.

That wheel has a $400 list price, though getbmwparts shows it for $332.

Tirerack doesn't stock the 155/70 19 size, but based on the prices of similar Continental spares it should be around $150.

Hi Doc,

Welcome to the forums!

I would like to resurrect this repeated request for a suitable compact spare, which ideally could be stored in the front trunk. I also want to recognize the DYI efforts of JST on this subject Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution.

Can you provide any additional insight regarding the feasibility of such a spare from Tire Rack, or at this juncture is Do-It-Yourself our only real choice?

Thanks.

Larry