Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high-pitched whine during acceleration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like it. It's turbine-like and represents the new motive force Tesla is all about.

Although I'm not a Performance owner and don't intend to be. My 2 cents...I thought the sound was awesome, but I won't have to hear it every time I floor it. I noticed that it was only audible when the pedal was all the way down at speeds below 40MPH as the wind and tires seemed to drowned out the whine.

The sig perf i test drove in santa monica yesterday had "the whine" according to the salesman, but even with some aggressive acceleration i never heard it. I never quite put the pedal all the way to the floor, but honestly i don't plan to in life either. Seems like less of an issue than i first thought.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

So I brought this up with the ownership team and they're telling me it shouldn't be occurring and will be scheduling service to take a look at it. I'll report back when I know more.

So my Performance, two days old, has this whine during hard acceleration. The sound actually varies a bit with pedal position (i.e 90% and 100% sound different). Did you have any word back about this?

So my Performance, two days old, has this whine during hard acceleration. The sound actually varies a bit with pedal position (i.e 90% and 100% sound different). Did you have any word back about this?

I heard it on the test drive youtube videos. A few of the salespeople said it's coming from the motor. Hoping they can fix it.

Do you find it objectionable? I heard it on the Performance car I drove in Newport Beach but it didn't bother me in the least. I didn't notice it in the non-Performance I drove in Toronto.

Yeah -- just a couple days ago the local service manager (Mat -- looks like he was up there doing the Canadian deliveries? I think I saw him in one of the pics) said it's normal. So at least as far as service is concerned, it's not a problem.

No it's not terribly objectionable, just very noticeable.

I thought this was pretty common. I had it from day one (I've had my car for a couple of months). I also has a low freq hum that was very annoying and occurred all the time. I had service at Menlo Park check it out and they said that one was not normal, so they ended up swapping out the drive train. The new drive train is much quieter, but still has the high pitch whine during high acceleration. It doesn't bother me. My son thinks it sounds cool.

For what it's worth, my car doesn't have that speed-independent "tone" that occured in my Seattle test drive video when I floored the car, nor does it have the speed-dependent "whine". This must be something that is unique to a few vehicles.

I agree. You notice it but not bad and only under hard acceleration. If there is a fix it would be great but not a big deal either way.

Yep. It's likely inductors in the power inverter. The mechanical forces in the inductor due to the magnetic fields are actually pretty strong, and this can cause vibration. It probably varies from unit-to-unit depending on how tightly wound certain inductors are. There are most definitely tolerances in these things.

I don't really have a problem with it, as long as it only happens pedal-to-the-metal.

How long did that take (just the drive train swap)? That's actually two questions: how long were you out the vehicle, and how much technician time did it take.

#nosy

I took the car in on Monday morning 12/10 and got it back Wednesday 12/19 (I missed it very much). The first few days were spent on diagnosis. Then on Friday they decided to order the new power train, but didn't get it until Monday night. They told me when they ordered the new one that it should only take about 4 hrs to swap, but it ended up taking all day Tuesday and then a check/test ride on Wednesday morning.

Thanks, John.

As we consider wikis, a section that I'd like to see included is servicing time for various fixes/changes on the vehicle. It can be very helpful for planning your servicing around other life priorities.

Last edited: