Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High-pitched harmonic tones from front motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my delivery of a new Model S Plaid on Wednesday. On the 100-mile trip home, I noticed that I was getting distinct high-frequency tones coming out of the front motor that were clearly a series of increasing fixed-pitch harmonics of some lower fundamental. They were power-related rather than speed-related. As I paid attention and played with the accelerator and cruise control, I found that the peaks of the tones were spaced about 3-4 mph apart for steady-state power outputs, with the harmonic tones rising in pitch steps as the power output increased. The tiniest adjustment of the accelerator could dramatically affect the volume of the tone as it hit a resonance for that pitch, and they could be quite significant in volume when the peak was hit. They were generally in the 1700-1800 Hz range.

Has anyone else noticed such harmonic tones? I am planning to request that the front motor be replaced, as I don't believe that this is normal and it is very annoying.

I received my delivery of a new Model S Plaid on Wednesday. On the 100-mile trip home, I noticed that I was getting distinct high-frequency tones coming out of the front motor that were clearly a series of increasing fixed-pitch harmonics of some lower fundamental. They were power-related rather than speed-related. As I paid attention and played with the accelerator and cruise control, I found that the peaks of the tones were spaced about 3-4 mph apart for steady-state power outputs, with the harmonic tones rising in pitch steps as the power output increased. The tiniest adjustment of the accelerator could dramatically affect the volume of the tone as it hit a resonance for that pitch, and they could be quite significant in volume when the peak was hit. They were generally in the 1700-1800 Hz range.

Has anyone else noticed such harmonic tones? I am planning to request that the front motor be replaced, as I don't believe that this is normal and it is very annoying.
I heard the exact same thing on the 2 hour drive home after taking delivery of my MSP.

I test drove a 2023 MS LR yesterday with the same issue. The guy said it was normal, however I am rather certain I did not hear this in another test drive vehicle. No a bit nervous about pulling the trigger. Any thoughts? There is a a post about high pitch whine for the Model X and this is the same thing I heard. There was a video posted.

Guys, please listen to the sound my motor makes at exactly 78, 79kmh...

My observation is this is related to outside temp, as I do not hear this at lower temps. It is not related to motor temps, because this video was done after a few minutes of slow driving...

Is this "normal" or a sign of concern?

Model is 2015 70D with 220.000km done.