Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The high-pitched whine during acceleration...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think these are different noises. Under high acceleration, I hear a very pure, high pitched tone, octaves above High C; I'm guessing about 4kHz. When really floored, I barely hear another pure harmonic. It's the car singing to me! Definitely not "balloon" noises.

Yikes, that sounds pretty terrible in that video. I have my first test drive Monday, I'll have to see if I can duplicate it.

Look forward to it. I've heard a variety of reports about whether it's still audible. Even during the Get Amped tour videos it wasn't always audible under maximum acceleration, but I've heard recent reviews that mention a sound from the "power electronics". So I'm curious as to what you will find.

If I had to guess, the whine is coming from inductors or transformers in the drive inverter. There's a fair bit of electromotive force in a coil when you put a lot of current through it, and that can cause the windings to vibrate if they have any wiggle room at all. This could easily be variable from unit to unit.

Serious? Bad?

If I'm driving with music off and enjoying the serenity, it gets interrupted with that noise when I'm doing stuff like accelerating onto the highway from a ramp. With a silent interior (music off) it's very very noticeable. I need more time with it but it really "upset" me when it happened. I'll report back after having dealt with it several more times. And BTW it doesn't require flooring it to cause it. It just only happens inside a certain window of the speed you're traveling.
Would be very curious to know if it happens in the non-perf version.

Cinergi - It bothered me a lot during my test drive in DC (Performance). I've been hanging on the forums for word that it is no longer an issue. I'm really sorry you have it. Rumor was, a while ago, that TM was working on it (it being an electrical connector(?)) but I haven't read anything recently. I do indeed hope this is something they can quell. My perf arrives in, hmmm, January.

I've noticed it but doesn't really bother me as much. When I floor it the acceleration grin overwhelms any noise I hear. I do hope they are able to fix it as I can see how it might bother people.

I'm curious if it is in the standard models without the inverter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Every S has an inverter. The Performance has a hand-wound / higher quality inverter.

- - - Updated - - -

I've noticed it but doesn't really bother me as much. When I floor it the acceleration grin overwhelms any noise I hear. I do hope they are able to fix it as I can see how it might bother people.
So let's call complaints about it "The Whine Whine". >;-P

I definitely heard it in the Blue non-Perf during the Chicago Get Amped. I did not hear it in a later test drive of the Grey Perf at Santana row, interestingly. Though maybe that car did have it, and I somehow missed it while talking to the Tesla rep or something.