Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The F-150 Lightning Is not what I expected - Anyone else feel the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do. And if they can solve the towing issue (severe depletion of battery while towing) they will be worth the investment.
Jim Farley the CEO at Ford has said more than once that if you are towing a large heavy load over long distances that the Lightning may not be the right truck for you.

They are also more than happy to sell you a Superduty F250 with a turbo diesel engine. Not my cup of tea but I think that you should use the right tool for the right job.

Why would it be any better?

Nobody knows.

Elon's promises are meaningless.

Tesla’s vehicles have done pretty well. I suspect CT will also.

Just the fact of no easy dents or paint scratching is a huge win for people that might heavily use their vehicles on rough work sites.

Megawatt charging capable is another.

Rear steering could be another.

Yes, Elon has been wrong about some things like FSD timing. It’s a running joke now at this point. But all things considered including his “broken promises”, he’s accomplished a LOT more than I have, so I certainly can’t throw stones.

The interior on the f150 looks nice at a quick glance but when you really inspect it there’s tons of cheap, squeaky rattly plastic. Having owned a 21 f150 platinum. It’s otherwise a great truck and I’d pay a premium for a true limited model with interior with zero crappy plastic, real sokid metal knobs etc. the other issue with ford is the horrible use of screens. Comparing the display on my model S to the ford is like looking at a gameboy from the 90s to a modern device. I’m referring to the driver display.

Yeah, I get that colloquially people tend to call every imitation leather material vinyl, but the quality and characteristics are significantly different that it still bears pointing out.

I'm sure most people have experienced cheap vinyl couches or the true vinyl seats of older cars and Tesla's (as well as similar modern leather alternative) seat material is significantly higher quality than that. A lot of people can't even tell the difference with the real leather in previous cars they had. Not every leather seat is the top notch nappa leather that the highest end cars have.
Nothing approaches the upscale top of the line feel of Naugahyde. Harvested from huge naga herds in south America. Over the years auto manufactures moved away from this forcing the ranches to rely solely on the the other extremely delicious byproduct - spam!

I carry a LOT of stuff in my truck all the time - I have a work truck for construction supplies, going to the dump, pulling trees, etc

But honestly I barely put any actual miles on it and I never tow. The Ford F150 EV would be perfect for me but the price is insane.
We love it, it is expensive and we don’t tow. Our equipment is too large and for smaller stuff I just hire it out. The frunk is especially awesome. Secure storage for $5k with of saws and $5k in hydraulic parts. All at a height that means it is accessible- I cannot emphasize how great it has been.

well that s the whole point, 150 fanboy ram fanboy silverado fanboy - they won t touch anything else other than a ford or a chevy or a ram... they blindly follow the tag name...
Over the years I’ve had each of those trucks. I thought I’d never get another Ford, but I liked the one Lightening Pro I looked at, and will consider one once the Silverado and Ram are out to compere.
There are more reasons than this, but as soon as I saw the Ford can be optioned with over 9kW AC power out at both 120 and 240v, Cybertruck was out of the running.

Reactions: nativewolf
I replaced a rusty old Chevy with the Lightning. I've been pleasantly surprised by it. The truck covers all of the hauling and rough terrain needs I have that the Y can't. It also rides much better than the Y.

The only thing I wish they did different would be to offer a standard cab and 8' bed.

Because Tesla does not offer V2L on anything. 240v out would be useful to me.
The CT unveiling said it would have 120V, 240V as well as an onboard air compressor. I think most manufacturers will make exceptions for trucks because it's expected functionality. For example Lightning has it, but Mach-E doesn't have V2L.