Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The definitive guide to RESET on Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The definitive guide to RESET on Tesla Model 3
(I may not have covered everything so corrections and feedback welcome)

These are in order from shallow to deep. I use the names used in the Tesla manuals where available.

================================
=== 1. Restarting the Touchscreen ===
================================

== Steps
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. Hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears.
  3. Wait approximately 30 seconds for the touchscreen to restart

== What this is good for
If your touchscreen is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior

== EXACTLY what the Tesla Model 3 manual says about this
If your touchscreen is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior, you can restart it to potentially resolve the issue.

Note: Restarting the touchscreen using the scroll buttons does not power Model 3 off and on.

== Special Notes
Doing this while the brake is pressed is the SAME as doing it without the brake. Some sources claim doing this with the brake is a deeper type of reset, but that claim is NOT supported by any documentation or data.

====================
=== 2. Powering Off ===
====================

== Steps
  1. sit in the driver’s seat while the vehicle is not moving and is in Park
  2. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off
  3. Wait a minimum of 2 minutes (3 may be better). Remain still so car does not recognize there is a drive present
  4. Press the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, or open driver door to power on again

== What this is good for
This may help resolve transient software issues other than the touchscreen. For example problems with the cameras or GPS.

Model 3 also powers off automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.

Although usually not needed, you can power off Model 3 while sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off.

Model 3 automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.

== Special Notes
This is the same "sleep mode" that the car will go into nightly (after some period of non-use)

==================================
=== 2. Disconnect High Voltage Power ===

Aka: Hard Reset; Power Rail Reset

== Steps
See here: Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset | Mountain Pass Performance
In summary:
  1. Disconnect 12V Battery
  2. Disconnect High Voltage Battery
  3. Wait
  4. Reconnect batteries

== What this is good for
In cases where car has lost: all cameras (black backup camera), GPS, AutoPilot, lane lines and other vehicles, then this has been reported to remedy the issue.

There is a "smart fuse" which can trip causing the stated symptoms, and this procedure will reset that fuse

(nothing. This is not a Tesla recommended end-user procedure)
(There is a service technician Body Repair Tech Note on this procedure here: https://teslaownersonline.com/attac...v_and_high_voltage_power_on_model_3-pdf.3090/)

== Special Notes
If you have to do this often, then there is an underlying problem that you should get diagnosed and fixed at a service center.

==========================
References and Thank yous:
Model 3 Manual: Disconnecting 12V and High Voltage Power
Vendor - How To: Perform Hard Reset on Tesla Model 3
==========================
I know this is a rather bold post for my first time in these forums. I am open to feedback, and hope this is helpful to all looking for this information

For the restarting the touch screen you don’t need to put the car in park first. And all turn signals etc still work during the reboot process but you won’t hear them.
Or another way to say this... you can "restart the touchscreen" using the scroll buttons while driving. I don't know if this is a factory recommended procedure but it has worked for me several times in the past. One side benefit is that it does force you to keep both hands on the steering wheel :) .

• Helpful
Reactions: Seth2020
Except for where you EXACTLY quote the Tesla manual this isn't "definitive". It's based on anecdotal experience from users.

Most of the experience is valid but definitely not definitive.

You have Body Repair Tech Notes? Please share.

I did already share

=== 3. Disconnect High Voltage Power ===

Aka: Hard Reset; Power Rail Reset

(nothing. This is not a Tesla recommended end-user procedure)
(There is a service technician Body Repair Tech Note on this procedure here: https://teslaownersonline.com/attac...v_and_high_voltage_power_on_model_3-pdf.3090/)

And if you would like to see more Body Repair Tech Notes, see this:
Important Personal Safety and Vehicle Repair Information | Tesla Service