Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the 70d and 85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is the problem, especially if this is your first time driving a Tesla, Instant Torque is like nothing you have ever felt. It is hard to judge both cars when they both feel faster than everything you have been in because of instant Torque. That is why so many people can't tell the difference...

This ^
Plus the suspension squat or lack thereof can confuse the senses

So here is the problem, especially if this is your first time driving a Tesla, Instant Torque is like nothing you have ever felt. It is hard to judge both cars when they both feel faster than everything you have been in because of instant Torque. That is why so many people can't tell the difference...

I'd say that's a part of it for sure.

When we got the 85D OTA that dropped the 0-60 from 5.2 to 4.4 there's was a *very* noticeable difference in usable power from zero on upwards.

You are absolutely right. I've been driving a Volt for the past 4 years. There is nothing like electric. Once you go electric, there is no reason to go back....ever.

My Verdict

Today I drove the P85D with air suspension in the "sport" mode, which my Tesla Rep said was the same performance of the 85D (0-60 time). Then right afterwards, I drove the 70D with coils. I also brought a thumbdrive with me and we listened to the same songs both on the Premium and Standard sound systems.

Performance - the 85D is MUCH faster than the 70D - and particularly from 20-60. There is no question I will be getting the 85D. The 70D is no slouch, but the 85D is right between the P85D and 70D. To me, the sweet spot. We did do one "insane" launch just so my son and wife could feel it. My wife said, "that rearranged my brain. My vision was affected." My son said, "my eyeballs were getting sucked back into my head." That's crazy fast - probably overkill and may get old after about 100 times. :)

Suspension - the coils are great. They really are. I could feel every bump and even felt some "hollowness" of a pattern of bumps on the road. Hard to describe, but the air suspension floated right over and had MUCH less road noise in this particular section of the road. I love the cool factor and even did the 007 code just to show my kid. Uber-cool.

Sound - We were all less than impressed with the premium audio. Again, the point of this drive was for me to make the decision which ONE to choose - SAS OR Premium Sound. Overwhelmingly, we all agreed we'll go with the air. I'll add a woofer to gain that deep base later - and for much less than the $2,500.

So, my verdict and I'll order this tomorrow:

85D, New Metallic Blue, 19"s, tan next gen seats, black alcantara and premium interior, SAS, Autopilot, and the massively gorgeous pano-roof!

Today I drove the P85D with air suspension in the "sport" mode, which my Tesla Rep said was the same performance of the 85D (0-60 time). Then right afterwards, I drove the 70D with coils. I also brought a thumbdrive with me and we listened to the same songs both on the Premium and Standard sound systems.

Performance - the 85D is MUCH faster than the 70D - and particularly from 20-60. There is no question I will be getting the 85D. The 70D is no slouch, but the 85D is right between the P85D and 70D. To me, the sweet spot. We did do one "insane" launch just so my son and wife could feel it. My wife said, "that rearranged my brain. My vision was affected." My son said, "my eyeballs were getting sucked back into my head." That's crazy fast - probably overkill and may get old after about 100 times. :)

Suspension - the coils are great. They really are. I could feel every bump and even felt some "hollowness" of a pattern of bumps on the road. Hard to describe, but the air suspension floated right over and had MUCH less road noise in this particular section of the road. I love the cool factor and even did the 007 code just to show my kid. Uber-cool.

Sound - We were all less than impressed with the premium audio. Again, the point of this drive was for me to make the decision which ONE to choose - SAS OR Premium Sound. Overwhelmingly, we all agreed we'll go with the air. I'll add a woofer to gain that deep base later - and for much less than the $2,500.

85D, New Metallic Blue, 19"s, tan next gen seats, black alcantara and premium interior, SAS, Autopilot, and the massively gorgeous pano-roof!

Excellent. Thanks Chris.

I'm a little confused.

Did you actually test drive an 85D?

A P85D in sport mode is not the same thing as an 85D. It has a different suspension setup, different motor in the rear, and it has completely different inverter.

Test drove a p85d. The Tesla guy said it was comparable to the 85D in the sport mode.

In all honesty I think he's full of it, and that wasn't something to be trusted.

Two very different cars, and there is no way that a software setting can make them the same.

Now I'm not saying this to defend the 70D because the 85D is faster and has more range. It will charge faster (especially to X number of miles). The 85D is an awesome choice.

The color looks different in every picture I've seen of it. Hopefully will get to see the color in person soon as mine is in transit. Good thing we don't have too many cloudy days here :wink:

Here's another one. It's still cloudy here but the sun peeked out some.

tesla.gif