Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSDb acceleration / deceleration rate... hmm.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the free trial two days ago and I'm very surprised at how bad the acceleration and deceleration is.

When I drive, there are plenty of times where I'm heavy-footed... but not when my wife's in the car. She doesn't like it and feels unwell from the acceleration. My braking is pretty smooth though because regen determines my stopping distance and it tends to be a smooth stop.

When my wife drives, it's a very smooth ride both accelerating and decelerating.

When FSDb drives, it accelerates too hard. Not hard like when I'm flooring it, but definitely too hard for a chauffer-smooth driving experience. Then as soon as it gets up to the speed limit, it sharply flatlines, which is also slightly jarring. Finally, it's braking distances seem *shorter* than what regen does, also leading to an uncomfortable experience.

With all the difficulty of teaching an AI to drive, this smoothness of acceleration / deceleration *seems* like the easy thing to get right. It's pretty bad... and definitely reduces my confidence in Tesla's abilities. This just seems like a no-brainer.

I agree. No matter the assertiveness setting it's not as smooth as it could be. It should use regen braking as much as possible and it shouldn't launch to the speed limit to then regen brake to drop the speed back down for no apparent reason. I see it do that consistently. FSD has come a long way and it does amazing things but speed control sometimes can be a little iffy. Hopefully with all the new large amounts of training data coming in the system will smooth that out.

Reactions: JB47394
It doesn’t sound like you’re familiar with what is easy to teach an AI.
There's no way that training is causing the car to do this. The only people who drive like that are street racers. I smoke everyone around at every light. I'd say that this is a heuristic dumped on top of the control outputs to address all the complaints about hesitant starts. I want Tesla to stop wasting my power and my tires, and get this fixed.

I got the free trial two days ago and I'm very surprised at how bad the acceleration and deceleration is.

When I drive, there are plenty of times where I'm heavy-footed... but not when my wife's in the car. She doesn't like it and feels unwell from the acceleration. My braking is pretty smooth though because regen determines my stopping distance and it tends to be a smooth stop.

When my wife drives, it's a very smooth ride both accelerating and decelerating.

When FSDb drives, it accelerates too hard. Not hard like when I'm flooring it, but definitely too hard for a chauffer-smooth driving experience. Then as soon as it gets up to the speed limit, it sharply flatlines, which is also slightly jarring. Finally, it's braking distances seem *shorter* than what regen does, also leading to an uncomfortable experience.

With all the difficulty of teaching an AI to drive, this smoothness of acceleration / deceleration *seems* like the easy thing to get right. It's pretty bad... and definitely reduces my confidence in Tesla's abilities. This just seems like a no-brainer.
Last week the complaints were, "it's trying to kill me", "sliding to a stop in high speed traffic lane", "diving the wrong way into a one-way street". This week it's, "not enough human like", "accelerates too fast", "decelerates too fast", "not smooth enough".

The march of 9's begins. . . . . .

They will eventually have settings for this. I don’t mind the acceleration, but I can understand why others would. The breaking is too aggressive. I basically never use the breaks. FSD users them a lot. That does waste power.

Speed control is definitely very lacking. It’s very noticeable with the auto speed offset and it’s doing small speed adjustments like 45 to 47 or 45 to 42 etc. It will jam the accelerator or spike full regen for a split second to hit the new target speed instead of doing it in a gradual manner.

It also uses the mechanical brakes far too often with hard braking (and then slowly creeping up to stopped traffic or stop line) instead of properly judging distance to maximize regen and comfort. If I were manually driving the Energy app would be telling me brake pedal usage used extra energy and I should utilize regenerative braking more.

Reactions: CDennis100
What you describe in the OP is the main reason I stopped bothering to test FSD after the first week of the trial.
The stopping is the worst. I don't mind the acceleration except how it always overshoots its intended speed and then does fairly hard regen to get down to it again.

I also stopped using it because it came so close to curbing my wheels on multiple occasions.

Reactions: E90alex
When FSDb drives, it accelerates too hard.

I finally received FSDS ("Supervised", no longer "beta") and was able to try this out.

I agree that the acceleration from a stop (or near stop) is harder than how I drive or would expect from FSDS. It's only for a short time at very beginning of acceleration, but I can feel my ab muscles kick in! Funny thing is, the slow acceleration of FSDb was one of my main complaints about it.

Looking at the bigger picture, FSDS making a full-and-complete stop at stop signs is also not how I drive. Where I live, gently rolling through stop signs is the norm (unless there is a police officer visible, of course). While this is not how I drive, I think it would be difficult to teach this to the NN.

But, the "briefly quicker acceleration" seems to balance out the "longer stops at stop signs", which means I can actually use FSDS during normal traffic now. Up until now, I would only use it during times when there were very few other cars on the road. This is progress.

Reactions: father_of_6
Looking at the bigger picture, FSDS making a full-and-complete stop at stop signs is also not how I drive. Where I live, gently rolling through stop signs is the norm (unless there is a police officer visible, of course). While this is not how I drive, I think it would be difficult to teach this to the NN.
I look at FSD and stop signs the way a new EV driver looks are regen braking. "Oh, it does that? I don't like that.' Then we just get used to modulating the car's behavior with our right foot.

Reactions: DP26 and redmunds
Looking at the bigger picture, FSDS making a full-and-complete stop at stop signs is also not how I drive.

Same, but I don't expect it to roll through stop signs since that's against the law.

I do understand that in a major metro area (e.g. NYC), the strong acceleration is possibly necessary... but in more rural areas it's no good. I think there should be a setting for how aggressive the acceleration is.