Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP phantom deceleration? Not Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been going on in my 3 for a month or more now across 2 software updates. Multiple times on my 10 mile commute, using autopilot, it will randomly just stop accelerating. Sometimes it happens while going through an intersection, sometimes not. I've tested it in the early morning on empty roads, and it will regen itself to a complete stop if I don't intervene. I don't think this is phantom braking. I will step on the pedal when this happens and after a few times it will begin accelerating again, but it usually takes 2-3 tries of pedal, regen, pedal, etc to pick back up. Autopilot does not disengage during this. There are no nags, warnings, or blue screen.

Anyone else experience this? Should I try to recalibrate the cameras?

Reactions: ARTEMIS X
It's not quite what you are describing, but an annoying behavior I have experienced is when AP or FSD slows down for some reason (and sometimes this is a phantom brake event, but sometimes a legitimate slowdown due to a merge or something), that the car refuses to speed back up again for a few minutes. I haven't had the patience to see if it would slow down to zero, but like you, I've basically had to hold my foot on the accelerator for a minute until it finally decides to go to the speed I've set it to.

Reactions: Y_so_Blue
This has been going on in my 3 for a month or more now across 2 software updates. Multiple times on my 10 mile commute, using autopilot, it will randomly just stop accelerating. Sometimes it happens while going through an intersection, sometimes not. I've tested it in the early morning on empty roads, and it will regen itself to a complete stop if I don't intervene. I don't think this is phantom braking. I will step on the pedal when this happens and after a few times it will begin accelerating again, but it usually takes 2-3 tries of pedal, regen, pedal, etc to pick back up. Autopilot does not disengage during this. There are no nags, warnings, or blue screen.

Anyone else experience this? Should I try to recalibrate the cameras?
I get phantom deceleration more than phantom braking, usually during sunset hours or when there are any cars around me. It's as if it's being extra(overly) cautious. Annoying and dangerous.