Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the 70d and 85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove the P85D with air suspension in the "sport" mode, which my Tesla Rep said was the same performance of the 85D (0-60 time).
I'm a little confused.

Did you actually test drive an 85D?

A P85D in sport mode is not the same thing as an 85D. It has a different suspension setup, different motor in the rear, and it has completely different inverter.
You're right to point out these differences, but re-read Chris's restatement of the Tesla Rep's comments. My interpretation is that the rep was talking only about the 0-60 time -- i.e. the quickness, not the overall ride/comfort/suspension/etc.

You're right to point out these differences, but re-read Chris's restatement of the Tesla Rep's comments. My interpretation is that the rep was talking only about the 0-60 time -- i.e. the quickness, not the overall ride/comfort/suspension/etc.

That's correct Brianman. He was referring to the 0-60 time - I've got to believe some of that spilled over into the accelleration from 20-80 too though. I drove the 70D and the handling around a couple of corners wasn't much different - like I said, the coils were just fine, but I am going with the air today when I place my order. Happy Birthday to me. :)

Thanks everyone for the nine pages (and counting) of barroom argument over this. That's what makes all this fun

To the OP: good luck with your adventure. I happen to agree that the blue is killer and as soon as I saw the new blue I was done for. As a fellow Washingtonian (Mont Co) I also happen to agree that the performance edge of the 85 over the 70 won't make enough difference on our local streets (to me) to be worth the extra $10k. Of course with all my "savings" I now have room to replace my road bike AND get a new mountain bike next year! (Rationalization FTW).

Thanks everyone for the nine pages (and counting) of barroom argument over this. That's what makes all this fun

To the OP: good luck with your adventure. I happen to agree that the blue is killer and as soon as I saw the new blue I was done for. As a fellow Washingtonian (Mont Co) I also happen to agree that the performance edge of the 85 over the 70 won't make enough difference on our local streets (to me) to be worth the extra $10k. Of course with all my "savings" I now have room to replace my road bike AND get a new mountain bike next year! (Rationalization FTW).

I believe that someone on the forums calculated that the $10k in savings are worth 29 years of McSundaes :). Just throwing another idea out there.

Yeah, the rep was only talking about 0-60 but my comment was more about what wasn't said.

Did the rep clarify that he couldn't compare suspension because the suspension setup on a 85D is different than the suspension setup on a P85D?

Did the rep clarify that 30-60 on a P85D (in Sport mode) is going to be significantly different than the 85D?

Anyone who knows how to market a product to a customer would give that rep an A+.

Obviously when test driving a car you can't always test drive what you want so you have to draw conclusions from what data you have available. In this case I don't feel like the rep did a good enough job informing the customer. At least from what I read. No damage was done though because the customer got exactly what fits his needs.

Last edited:
Yeah, the rep was only talking about 0-60 but my comment was more about what wasn't said.

Did the rep clarify that he couldn't compare suspension because the suspension setup on a 85D is different than the suspension setup on a P85D?

Did the rep clarify that 30-60 on a P85D is going to be significantly different than the 85D?

Anyone who knows how to market a product to a customer would give that rep an A+.

Now keep in mind I'm an Engineer and Engineers hate it when things aren't exactly right.

The actual human in me knows the customer probably get exactly what fits his needs despite it.

To answer your questions above - no. The rep didn't clarify those things. However, I drove the 70D RIGHT after the P85D. The handling and speed on both cars were amazing. As long as my 85D is between the 2 of them (which I don't think you'd argue that it is) I'll be a happy camper!

I'm an engineer too - however, I'm in the business development/sales side of things. I am the one selling the design services - so I can completely understand the rep's perspective!

Now between 70d and 85d, the freeway speeds here are 55. Frankly the 85d was SLIGHTLY faster, but not 10k faster.
0-30 I don't notice any difference. At 60+ (which I didn't try of course), there was minor difference. My feeling is, get 85d for range, not speed.
Both cars had enough power for normal use. Maybe if your speed limits are 75 routinely, the 85 makes more sense. At 65 speed limit - uhh its a toss up.
At 55, the 85 to me makes zero sense except the extra range.

I can't fathom why the speed limits matter. The cars are quick, not fast. All of them can well exceed the speed limit (even the maximum speed limit of 85 mph in the US). If we were talking about cars that had maximum speeds near the speed limit, I could understand this logic. But there are very few places in the world with acceleration limits. You can pretty much use the acceleration of any of these cars on the public streets. Doing so while not exceedingly the speed limit might be a slight challenge sometimes, but it's possible.

Yes but I seriously doubt there is any difference between 70d and 85d in 0-30.
I wish there was a breakdown of 0-30 and 30-60.

The 70D specs are exactly the same as the 85D before the "Sport mode" update. I had my car like that for roughly a month and a half before the update. The difference is dramatic. The 85D after the update with the accelerator mashed to floor lifts up in the front and feels a little squirly. The car never behaved this way before the update. There's no way you're going to convince me that there's no difference between a 70D and an 85D.

The 85D has the 70D to thank for being so fast.

When the 85D was announced/released it wasn't as fast as it is now. It was made faster when they announced the 70D, and updated the firmware on the 85D.

Yup absolutely. I'm positive that a 70D drives just like my car did before the update or slower. Maybe slower due to the battery.

I think that plays a part as to why the 85D often gets ignored or overlooked. It meets the really sweet spot in terms of power/price between the 70D, and the P85D. But, both of those cars took the spot light.

The 85D was announced at the same time as the P85D. Came out ~3 months later. The 70D got announced and was roughly available immediately. The P85D was old news by that point. When the 85Ds started getting delivered, there wasn't a whole lot of people excited by that.

Its still not a P85D because it doesn't have the same handling that comes with a P85D or the harsh ride. If I was someone that wanted a comfy fast sedan than the 85D would be pretty ideal. For me personally when I select a car for performance I want the better handling even if it comes at a cost of a harsh ride.

I had a P85D for a day as a loner. I didn't experience a harsh ride or a dramatically different handling. I know there are suspension differences, but in my opinion the handling differences must be very slight. I expected to be blown away by the car and wish I'd bought it instead, I actually actively didn't want to drive the P85D before I got it as a loaner. I came away impressed by the acceleration, but not wanting it. The launches have uncomfortable physiological effects that would limit me to using the full acceleration as only a demo to new people in the car.

Green is definitely best...
You should definitely get green... oh wait, you can't! :tongue:

:redface:

Kuttakamina- Thanks for the entertaining writeup!

After two years of driving a Model S, I could indeed tell that the 85D was noticeably quicker on acceleration. I drove both the 70D and 85D the same day. I really think Tesla has found the sweet spot for the three models. Each provides a noticeable improvement from the one below it, but the base model 70D is still kick-ass fun and a compelling choice.