Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector control via Tesla App 4.23

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
current Tesla charge scheduling is awful! I simply want to avoid 4-9pm peak hours and charge any time I plug in, but it forces me to choose a departure time.
And this is related to this thread how?

For that matter, have you searched? This has been discussed in relevant threads several times in recent weeks.

Finally, I encourage you to find the "tessie" thread and discuss w/James your objectives. I believe if you dump peak charging, stop using departure charge, and set tessie automations you'll get exactly what you want. Or see here: Charging Schedules - Help Center - Tessie

Personal Beef number 3 of 12 regarding why this will never be an every-mans EV. It IS awful that you can’t set a simple start and stop charging time, through the Tesla APP. I do not want to trust some 3rd party APP with my car login information. It has proved impractical for me to micro manage a guesstimate charging target every day. I now can get ultra cheap electricity within a small nightly window, 0000-4am. I don’t use the car everyday, want it to charge during the period, when plugged in. Period. No daily remembering to guess and set. What is even worse is complaints of this nature on this forum go back 10 years, and, also, not one tech minded person can explain the reasoning for getting to choose start or stop, not both. I posed the question once. BTW, down-voters, you don’t need it is not a reason.

Personal Beef number 3 of 12 regarding why this will never be an every-mans EV. It IS awful that you can’t set a simple start and stop charging time, through the Tesla APP. I do not want to trust some 3rd party APP with my car login information. It has proved impractical for me to micro manage a guesstimate charging target every day. I now can get ultra cheap electricity within a small nightly window, 0000-4am. I don’t use the car everyday, want it to charge during the period, when plugged in. Period. No daily remembering to guess and set. What is even worse is complaints of this nature on this forum go back 10 years, and, also, not one tech minded person can explain the reasoning for getting to choose start or stop, not both. I posed the question once. BTW, down-voters, you don’t need it is not a reason.
There are ways to do what you want. If you install and configure home assistant home automation software on a computer in your house, you can use it's Tesla support to command the car to start and stop charging using whatever criteria you like. So, you don't need to wait for Tesla to decide that your use case is worth implementing. You can take charge and do it yourself.

There are many custom automations you can do using this software.

Not sure what's going on for you, but I've had mine set to start charge at midnight for 6 months now and it has worked flawlessly.

Are you looking to charge ONLY from 0000-0400? While there is no way to tell it when to stop, I think you can achieve that by plugging it in every night. Looking back over the past month, the only time I have gone over 4 hours is going from 14%-80% and that finished at 0430. The rest of the charges were ~25% to 80% and those finished sometime between 0330 and 0340.

The 14% one was when I came back from a roadtrip. And if I were charged more for that half hour, I would look at it as the difference between buying gas right off the interstate and from the local station that is $0.50 cheaper.

Reactions: Supcom and ATPMSD
On Android, you must use 4.25.0-1953 which is currently on APKMirror site. It is not yet on Google Play Store. I have it working. Allows access thru the APP. Tesla will publish into the Play Store eventually. Note: While generally safe, download apps from sites outside of Google Play Store at your own risk.

Last edited:
iOS version in US for version 4.25 now shows I can add my Wall Connector. Not sure what features it add as I have not completed setup. When I just tried, it said I need to be close to Wall Connector for a firmware update and I am not near the unite currently. Will try again soon.

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
iOS version in US for version 4.25 now shows I can add my Wall Connector. Not sure what features it add as I have not completed setup. When I just tried, it said I need to be close to Wall Connector for a firmware update and I am not near the unite currently. Will try again soon.
Yes, you hold the button on the wall connector for 5 seconds, and it sets up its own WFi Network, then you have 5 minutes to attach to the WiFi network before it stops transmitting its SSID of TeslaWallConnectorxxxxxx, and then type 192.168.1.92 in your browser . Then you must have the userid and password from the Quick Start guide to log into the wall connector. Once updated, you can disconnect from that network and reattach to your existing WiFi you normally use, if any.

Yes, you hold the button on the wall connector for 5 seconds, and it sets up its own WFi Network, then you have 5 minutes to attach to the WiFi network before it stops transmitting its SSID of TeslaWallConnectorxxxxxx, and then type 192.168.1.92 in your browser . Then you must have the userid and password from the Quick Start guide to log into the wall connector. Once updated, you can disconnect from that network and reattach to your existing WiFi you normally use, if any.
Tried it agin through the Tesla app and failing at firmware update even though I am close by. Had to get back to work. Will try again (again) later reading your pointers. Thanks.

Tried again both app method and IP address method and cant get an update started. When I try through app, I get the below. When I try through IP address in browser, says no new updates available.

IMG_3016.jpeg

Personal Beef number 3 of 12 regarding why this will never be an every-mans EV. It IS awful that you can’t set a simple start and stop charging time, through the Tesla APP. I do not want to trust some 3rd party APP with my car login information. It has proved impractical for me to micro manage a guesstimate charging target every day. I now can get ultra cheap electricity within a small nightly window, 0000-4am.
No issues for me connecting....I believe the wall connector now has this functionality. Havn't played with it myself, but there's an option to restrict to specific TOD hours in the Tesla app if you add the wall connector.

I dont even have my car yet (picking up Friday).
I was able to update the firmware on my WC using iPhone tesla app on version 4.25. Once all complete I can see the WC on the app.
It cannot (yet) change or update the vehicle charging type for that you need to log into the WC 192.168.1.92 site using the charger credentials to change that.
I could not do it via my Android phone, however once it was updated and setup using the iPhone. I can see thr WC and details on my Android phone on version 4.24.5 and the same functionality shows as it does on iPhone app v4.25.

Try an offline update:

Offline Firmware Updates
The best way to keep your Wall Connector up to date is to connect to local Wi-Fi. If this is not possible, firmware updates can be manually installed by following these steps:
  1. Download the firmware file.
    Save the file locally on the device you will be using to connect to your Wall Connector. We recommend using a mobile device, tablet or laptop. Download below:
    Firmware 23.8.2
  2. Connect to your Wall Connector Wi-Fi access point.
Front of Wall Connector Quickstart guide

• Follow steps one through six above to commission the installation. The network name (SSID) and password (WPA2) details can be found on the Quickstart guide that came with your Wall Connector.
  • Note: If the Quickstart guide is unavailable and you cannot locate your password, use the diagnostic tool. Have your Tesla part number and Tesla serial number available.
  1. Navigate to update page.
Wall Connector QR code

1. Install the firmware file.
Mobile device screen file upload

• Select ‘Choose File’ and then upload the Wall Connector firmware file. Click ‘Upload’ and wait for up to one minute.
  1. Confirm the firmware update.
Mobile device screen firmware update success message

• A success message will be displayed if the manual firmware update is successful. Your Wall Connector may reboot.
  • If a failure message appears, power cycle your Wall Connector by turning the circuit breaker off and back on again and then try uploading the firmware update again.

Try an offline update:

Offline Firmware Updates
The best way to keep your Wall Connector up to date is to connect to local Wi-Fi. If this is not possible, firmware updates can be manually installed by following these steps:
  1. Download the firmware file.
    Save the file locally on the device you will be using to connect to your Wall Connector. We recommend using a mobile device, tablet or laptop. Download below:
    Firmware 23.8.2
  2. Connect to your Wall Connector Wi-Fi access point.
Front of Wall Connector Quickstart guide

• Follow steps one through six above to commission the installation. The network name (SSID) and password (WPA2) details can be found on the Quickstart guide that came with your Wall Connector.
  • Note: If the Quickstart guide is unavailable and you cannot locate your password, use the diagnostic tool. Have your Tesla part number and Tesla serial number available.
  1. Navigate to update page.
Wall Connector QR code

1. Install the firmware file.
Mobile device screen file upload

• Select ‘Choose File’ and then upload the Wall Connector firmware file. Click ‘Upload’ and wait for up to one minute.
  1. Confirm the firmware update.
Mobile device screen firmware update success message

• A success message will be displayed if the manual firmware update is successful. Your Wall Connector may reboot.
  • If a failure message appears, power cycle your Wall Connector by turning the circuit breaker off and back on again and then try uploading the firmware update again.
I already have 23.8.2. But I thought that is not the latest? Its obviously trying to update firmware during App setup and failing. So what is it updating to?

I didn't look at the firmware level in the info I posted, and the update it states is not current. There is a place to manually download the latest version. Maybe this version is not for general release yet? I'll see if I can find it at a tesla site.

I didn't look at the firmware level in the info I posted, and the update it states is not current. There is a place to manually download the latest version. Maybe this version is not for general release yet? I'll see if I can find it at a tesla site.
You cannot manually update beyond 23.8.2. You have to update the Tesla app to 4.25.1 first then you can add the wall connector in the app, During the process the app will connect to the wall connector and update the firmware to 23.24.3. You will need to be near the Wall Connctor, it must be online to the internet, and you will need the wall connector’s setup QR tag.

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
i have the same version on mine too, but I'm going to try this manual update method regardless. Will report back later.
Figured it out with app. You need to go in your settings for the Tesla app and turn on “Local Network”.

This explains why somebody earlier had no luck with iPhone but worked with iPad.

It is updated now and Wall Connector shows in Tesla app.

IMG_3047.jpeg