Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla van - Model V ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone up for doing a change.org petition or something to get Elon's attention? Would need someone to do a photoshop or sketch (basically a Model X with the rear shaped like a traditional minivan). Unfortunately I suck at photoshop and sketching.

I've been thinking - if Tesla built a kind of 'skateboard' chassis, basically a rigid-framed battery pack with motors/wheels/steering gear etc., he could put any sort of body on top and he could use this as a base for pickups, vans or whatever.

Could also go with a sparse ladder type frame with the pack inset. Lets the body exist and get moved around without the pack attached.

Reactions: Lucky_Man
yFlnlfh.png

I'd be interested in a van. I've mentioned size being a show-stopper for the Model 3, but that's comparing it to our Kia. Our other vehicle is a 140" Sprinter van, which we use for travel and camping. Oddly enough, the Model X has almost the same footprint as the van. The Sprinter is a 2004, so replacing it in 3-4 years is a definite possibility.
Yeah, ditto here. Want Sprinter/Transit style electric cargo van with decent 300+ mile range for off-road capable camper van. (Selling my Sprinter-based class B RV when my custom converted Ford Transit van is ready early next year. Alas, no sign of a long range electric cargo van yet.)

Sorry - but the model V is not going to be a van. Moreover, out of over some 20+ Tesla models, the van will be 5th to the last to go into production.

:D
A-Zteslas.jpg

In the meantime, & on a more serious note, you can always go the route that we had to do, needing tons of cargo room sometimes (like drywall or plywood) , & sometimes needing 7 passengers.
20181120_144717.jpg

Sure, in theory we could have purchased a trailer for big cargo, but we are on a postage size property where that can't be possible, even if it were possible to disassemble it. A van works for our dual purposes, & the less than 10% of our trip miles are ever over it's 33 mile EV range anyway ..... st least until somebody makes a 100% EV version.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh and GreenT
Vans are the one thing legacy auto builders can do and not screw up. And they can do it cheap - won't cost billions to design.
They just need to do it.

Tesla is the performance leader. Vans? no one needs performance Vans. Performance is not the reason people buy Vans.

reminder: you can still RENT - even RVs for vacations - even sports cars

I'd love to have a Tesla van to convert as a full time live-in vehicle (I'd also used it for work as I'm a tradesman).

I'd prefer the advantages Tesla has in battery life and computer interface, self-driving, etc and I'd cover the roof with solar panels to pull in extra power.