Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Valet service goes POOF!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or is there some serious cost cutting happening all around. Not only valet promises going back, but I just posted in another thread that Tesla has suspended ranger service for non-core countries that had been previously clearly listed. I think I even have a screenshot somewhere as I run the Estonian fanclub and remember mentioning that I can always just get a ranger. Well now 2 years later and after a couple of ranger visits, no I can not anymore. That was actually a pretty strong argument for buying a Tesla outside of the core market altogether. And me and a partner, we've bought 6 Model S, contemplate some more and have directly sold some 30-40 additional ones with loads of marketing from our own costs...

i too feel like something crap is going on and Tesla isn't living up to the promised low and unobtrusive service promise. Heck, their service hourly rates are probably highest in the region by a good factor of two or more. Any non-warranty service will be hugely expensive and the yearly maintenance that hardly includes anything costing 500€ is way too expensive.

There does seem to be a lot of cost cutting going on. And in general if a company needs to cut costs, that is fine, and they are free to do that. My concern with the way Tesla is doing it with respect to the ranger and valet services is that they are taking away services that were promised to customers. People like you and me, Mario, made decisions to purchase based on those promises. If Tesla needs to cut costs in my opinion they are free to cut them by changing the policies for new customers, but promises made to existing customers should be honored. That's just good business.

Many companies dislike grandfathering, but I always felt it was in the best interests of the relationship with the customer. When you change a policy, grandfathering adds complexity, but in Tesla's case, it could easily be managed. Add a policy of cutting back Ranger Service, make a flag for "old ranger" and add the flag to all existing VINs. Then when a "bill out" or line item for ranger service goes on an invoice, it's just simply code to NOT prevent application of certain policies when the flag is present. But I'm just a Systems Engineer, what do I know ;)

Many companies dislike grandfathering, but I always felt it was in the best interests of the relationship with the customer. When you change a policy, grandfathering adds complexity, but in Tesla's case, it could easily be managed. Add a policy of cutting back Ranger Service, make a flag for "old ranger" and add the flag to all existing VINs. Then when a "bill out" or line item for ranger service goes on an invoice, it's just simply code to NOT prevent application of certain policies when the flag is present. But I'm just a Systems Engineer, what do I know ;)

I don't know, but it seems to me you may know more about providing good customer service than some of the people making decisions about these things at Tesla do.

Just to chime in on the positive side of things, I have a service appointment on Friday. I am getting a loaner and they are picking up my car from a third location (I live 60 miles from the SC but will be in Boston on Friday). When the car is done they will return it to me at home and pick up the loaner. So it seems the valet option is alive and well in Boston, although I have been waiting for a service appointment for a list of minor issues for a while.

I'll report back if there is a big cost for this. My last service experiences have been very positive with none of the costs or issues posted here.

So I wound up being able to drop off my car so I didn't need the valet service for that. But the Watertown (MA) service center is sending the car home via valet and I don't see anything about an additional charge for the valet service above the $600 annual maintenance fee. The amount of work done under warranty seems to me to exceed the annual service fee. The items fixed or replaced are almost all due to my early VIN car parts being fixed or improved since my car was made. I feel this is a fair deal.

So I wound up being able to drop off my car so I didn't need the valet service for that. But the Watertown (MA) service center is sending the car home via valet and I don't see anything about an additional charge for the valet service above the $600 annual maintenance fee. The amount of work done under warranty seems to me to exceed the annual service fee. The items fixed or replaced are almost all due to my early VIN car parts being fixed or improved since my car was made. I feel this is a fair deal.

Can you give us a quick list of such parts? Thanks.

Just spotted this thread...

I had my wife's P85 valeted to service from Hickory to Raleigh NC (over 100 miles each way) for the contactor update and annual service (not prepaid). The valet was no cost then. Next year when it's time to do annual service again they're going to valet it again and they're not going to charge me for it. They're going to do the same for my P85D when it comes time. (Granted, Charlotte is now the closest service center at 56 miles each way, but it's still a haul.)

Why? Because it's not going to pretty if they don't.

It's worth noting that I've used the valet service at least a half-dozen times since I got my first Model S and it was a key selling feature since I would never be close to a service center.

It's also worth noting that never has Tesla done a traditional valet where they drive my car. They load it on a trailer and haul it instead of adding 100+ miles to my odometer.

This was a key selling point for the Model S for myself and many. Like other recent debates, this one is pretty black and white and Tesla is going to have a hard time when people push back at them on this and other issues.

I've honestly lost nearly all faith in Tesla's integrity over the last 12 months (the company as a whole). They get a lot right, but there is so much they just dropped the ball on to forgive at this point... a bowling ball straight through your pano roof.

I've honestly lost nearly all faith in Tesla's integrity over the last 12 months (the company as a whole). They get a lot right, but there is so much they just dropped the ball on to forgive at this point... a bowling ball straight through your pano roof.

It's certainly been disheartening. I'm at a point where I'm pretty happy I'm not currently a Tesla shareholder. I'm not suggesting price movement one way or the other, just saying that it would have me even more disappointed/stressed about these things than I already am.

It's certainly been disheartening. I'm at a point where I'm pretty happy I'm not currently a Tesla shareholder. I'm not suggesting price movement one way or the other, just saying that it would have me even more disappointed/stressed about these things than I already am.
Actually, I think shareholders are pushing things toward this direction. Service has continued to be a big money loser (not break even as Elon's goal was) and despite angst from some on this forum, as a whole, there is not much evidence that sales are affected in any way by the new policies (in fact sales are continually growing). A lot of the "good will" policies Tesla pushed out previously are ultimately unsustainable as volume grows, so I think things are going to be going toward this direction in the long run. Tesla's focus will have to remain on the product.

When I first started investigating Tesla, looking into purchasing the P85D that my wife and I purchased, we also got very excited about the company, and wound up buying some stock just after ordering the car, which was long after the stock price had already gone way up. But we had faith in the future of the company, and still thought it was a good investment. As I started seeing the changing policies over the last few months, I became less enamored of the company, and as a result, we sold our stock a couple of months ago. Obviously we still have a lot invested in the company, in the form of a $140,000 car we plan to keep for many years. But based on the policy changes of the last few months, we just did not feel comfortable holding stock in the company any longer.

When I first started investigating Tesla, looking into purchasing the P85D that my wife and I purchased, we also got very excited about the company, and wound up buying some stock just after ordering the car, which was long after the stock price had already gone way up. But we had faith in the future of the company, and still thought it was a good investment. As I started seeing the changing policies over the last few months, I became less enamored of the company, and as a result, we sold our stock a couple of months ago. Obviously we still have a lot invested in the company, in the form of a $140,000 car we plan to keep for many years. But based on the policy changes of the last few months, we just did not feel comfortable holding stock in the company any longer.

I suspect posts like this would be different if the company had instead decided that as volume increased, these policies aren't feasible and simply stopped them for future cars while grandfathering the current car to the current owner (so changing owners or getting a different Tesla would then use the go-forward policies).

I suspect posts like this would be different if the company had instead decided that as volume increased, these policies aren't feasible and simply stopped them for future cars while grandfathering the current car to the current owner (so changing owners or getting a different Tesla would then use the go-forward policies).

Excellent point!

There is no doubt in my mind about the truth of that statement. It is the difference between making sound business decisions that people understand, and changing the rules in the middle of the game and breaking promises made to the people that have helped you succeed. The first is acceptable. The second just isn't.

Montreal Service just revised their policy again - they are reverting back to the flat rate $100 per visit.

Really? Do explain. I just got off of the phone with Mississauga and they are telling me that they have to charge me the $3/km (for about 400km) and that the policy comes down from head office and is beyond their control.

And this is for a clear vehicle fault (failed main screen / computer) that is undeniably warranty.

I have no problem with Tesla changing policy as they grow. At the moment they are fairly precarious financially and i'd rather them be around in the years to come and pay a bit more and have less of the fluff, personally.

It's one thing to change policy going forward, as it applies to new customers. It's another thing entirely to break promises made to existing customers who may have purchased based on those promises. Getting service when you live hundreds of miles from a service center, and the only company that can provide service for your $100,000 plus vehicle is Tesla is not something most people would consider "fluff."

I had my wife's P85 valeted to service from Hickory to Raleigh NC (over 100 miles each way) for the contactor update and annual service (not prepaid). The valet was no cost then. Next year when it's time to do annual service again they're going to valet it again and they're not going to charge me for it. They're going to do the same for my P85D when it comes time. (Granted, Charlotte is now the closest service center at 56 miles each way, but it's still a haul.)

Why? Because it's not going to pretty if they don't.

Alright Norma Rae, let us know what progress you make! :)