Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Valet service goes POOF!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even though many people were talking about minor issues with theirs on the Consumer Reports posts, I still wasn't all too worried because of the Valet service. But, I am 150 miles from the nearest service center. That's really not making me feel comfortable about buying one now. :confused:

This has been their policy since valet was introduced - I remember the 50 mi number being listed at that time.

The 50 mile number for valet is also gone now.

This thread is closely related.

My feeling is that when you offer something, you can retract it, but only for new buyers. If you made a mistake with your math, clean things up by all means. But honor your commitments.

The 50 mile number for valet is also gone now.

It's still in that FAQ I linked. You're saying that there is no more valet service even within 50 miles? Haven't heard that at all.

- - - Updated - - -

What about cellular service... might I start receiving a bill for this?

Cell service is free for four years, that's documented.

It is ridiculous that Tesla thinks it is OK to change the rules in the middle of the game.

I live over 200 miles from the nearest service center. One of the very first questions I asked on the first informational call I had with Tesla was about how I'd get service. I was told about the ranger service, and the $100 max fee, but that in many cases that fee would not be charged. (Later, after ordering, but before I took delivery, a sales manager at a store told me that because I lived more than 200 miles away from the nearest service center, the $100 ranger fee would actually never be charged.) I was also told that if the ranger service could not perform the service, the car would be valeted to the service center, and a loaner provided. After being told this, I found things on the website that supported the gist of what I had been told. I had no reason to doubt any of it.

Around the time I was taking delivery I had a conversation with a regional manager who explained that things were so busy in the region that they actually preferred to send a valet for my car when it needed service, as they could send a relatively low level employee to pick it up, while keeping the more highly trained ranger (tech) at the service center, working on cars. That made sense to me. Why have one of the guys who knows how to fix the cars driving for eight hours when he can be fixing cars during those eight hours if you can hire someone with a lot less skill to just drive? So it was THEIR PREFERENCE to provide valet service instead of ranger service.

The one time since this new policy has gone into effect that my service center was going to charge me for the valet service--over $600--the service manager waived the charge. I'm not sure what the future holds. He understands what I had been told, and knows what's fair and what's right. The question is whether or not his hands will be tied or not.

I don't understand how Elon Musk can believe that changing a policy like this so onerously AFTER customers have purchased a six-figure vehicle is an ethical thing to do. Change it for future customers if you must, but you just have to honor your commitments to your existing customers.

I appreciate the clarification. I didn't recall the distance provision.

Denver sc collected my aunt's car from Jackson Wyoming a number of times. 500 miles ... Each way. Provided a loaner or rental, though never a roadster.

Even delivered it to SD (Jackson was landlocked then) for their trip east in 2014, though that was not for free.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Elon Musk can believe that changing a policy like this so onerously AFTER customers have purchased a six-figure vehicle is an ethical thing to do. Change it for future customers if you must, but you just have to honor your commitments to your existing customers.

It's very much an unethical move. Can someone smarter than me tell me how it's legal to sell a car based on a certain service promise, and then reverse course after purchase?

Even though many people were talking about minor issues with theirs on the Consumer Reports posts, I still wasn't all too worried because of the Valet service. But, I am 150 miles from the nearest service center. That's really not making me feel comfortable about buying one now. :confused:

Have you called Tesla? If you do, please post what they tell you about warranty service of your car, should you elect to buy one. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

It's very much an unethical move. Can someone smarter than me tell me how it's legal to sell a car based on a certain service promise, and then reverse course after purchase?

That's an easy question - its "legal" until someone takes them to court and wins. Then its not.

The talk of ethics in this thread is valid. Lifeguards are letting swimmers drown who are right in front of them, because they are only supposed to guard a specific section of the beach. Fire departments are letting houses burn down because people didn't pay a fee. These are just two examples I remember reading about that shocked me. Ethics and capitalism - we're still struggling with them in this country. I think we're going the wrong direction, but that's just my opinion.

It is one thing to require a valet because the car is somehow stranded somewhere and immobile, compared to wanting a valet because OP has moisture in his tail lights or one of the handles doesn't work. In the latter, OP can still drive the car, and is just otherwise inconvenienced by having a long drive to a service center. I do think it is pretty unreasonable to require a valet for every minor warranty issue. It's not like Tesla is denying him a loaner - they should reserve this for emergencies. There's always the Ranger option if you are hundreds of miles from any service center too, though not free.
Exactly this. If the car is no longer functioning, I really doubt that Tesla would leave the owner in a pickle. I sense that they are trying to eliminate valet for every little nit of a problem. It looks like this is another Tesla communications failure.

If Tesla is looking to make cuts to save money, getting rid of their communications dept. would be a sure bet because they aren't doing a damn thing.

The thread I linked in my post goes into more detail, but that's correct. Free valet service is no longer available inside of 50 miles. They've reduced it to 10 miles.

Here's another data point.
I've got a Valet pick-up service appointment for this Monday, it's 24 miles to the Service Center, and it's for really really minor stuff (condensation in rear lenses, intermittent loss of power to driver's window-control panel, and an eval of what's needed for a TPMS Upgrade for my Classic).
And I didn't pay near $100K for her, new.

I mentioned very early on the software/tech company/silicon valley mindset of Tesla and how a lot of companies of that ilk treat customers differently then more old school companies. I was shot down reasonably quickly by those taking offense to the idea that there was a difference in companies.

Fast forward to today and, if you are inclined to look for it, I believe there is plenty of evidence of the "my way or the highway" approach common with the Apples and Microsofts of this world. We live in changing times (duh!) and the youth of this world is willing to put up a shifting foundation. Perhaps it was the newness of tech and the limited options in the beginning that allowed for a change in the balance between company and customer. Whatever it was, it seems to have stuck even with the ever increasing number of options available to the consumer.

I look at Tesla and I see a lot of similarities with other valley/tech companies. They reserve the right to change to rules and they mean it.

Enough musings from an ole fart.

Enough musings from an ole fart.

[totally OT but...]

I'm not an old fart yet, but this is so insanely true. We've used a few B2B Silicone Valley startups at my business, and the general attitude towards customers is pretty abysmal. In 12 years of owning a small business, using Indinero was one of the worst decisions I ever made (I'm only writing this in hopes it shows in their google results). Zenefits, you guys rock.

I think not providing it for the $35k Model 3 is fine, but for people basically investing in the company by buying a six figure car, they should stick with the service as promised. It's part of WHY people love the Model S, that even when an issue does arise, Tesla takes care of them. That, to me, is part of makes it worth spending so much on a car.

I don't think 'stop whining...' is really a helpful response - the OP clearly shows that Valet service was promised as a no cost feature at the time the car was purchased - this is another example of great promises to early adopters that are not really viable for a mass audience and Tesla simply reneges on its promises and acts as if they were never made.

Isn't that what's called "bait and switch"?

- - - Updated - - -

Nonsense, I bought the car based on Tesla's "promise" to have a local service center. the service center has been on their map for over two years, at one point even an exact address was given, to date there has been NO PROGRESS towards bringing one here. They are opening a pop up display in a shopping center but that is not going to do anything for current owners!

That's not exactly a promise.

I think not providing it for the $35k Model 3 is fine, but for people basically investing in the company by buying a six figure car, they should stick with the service as promised. It's part of WHY people love the Model S, that even when an issue does arise, Tesla takes care of them. That, to me, is part of makes it worth spending so much on a car.

Not providing it for ANY car purchased in the future is fine, as long as the policy is made clear to those purchasing. Personally I don't think that's the right decision, but it's a fair one. Changing the policy unilaterally, after customers have made a commitment, on the other hand, is another issue entirely.