Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mornin all.

I am noticing more comments on Canadian Facebook groups from future buyers waiting for the American made vehicles to be available again. Longer range, white interiour etc etc. Even political reasons. I’m sure it’s not a lot of people but am curious as to how that would come about.

Is it because they are saving all the American made units for the American market? And if so at what point does production rise enough at American factories to supply the Canadian market again. I know nothing about car transport logistics but it seems transporting a car from California or Texas to Canada would be cheaper than putting it on a boat from China.

So what say yee? Are they waiting in vain or will they get their white interiour longer range model 3 or Y from the US?

Safe travels all.

Mornin all.

I am noticing more comments on Canadian Facebook groups from future buyers waiting for the American made vehicles to be available again. Longer range, white interiour etc etc. Even political reasons. I’m sure it’s not a lot of people but am curious as to how that would come about.

Is it because they are saving all the American made units for the American market? And if so at what point does production rise enough at American factories to supply the Canadian market again. I know nothing about car transport logistics but it seems transporting a car from California or Texas to Canada would be cheaper than putting it on a boat from China.

So what say yee? Are they waiting in vain or will they get their white interiour longer range model 3 or Y from the US?

Safe travels all.
Supply bottlenecks, battery/mineral sourcing & Inflation Reduction Act money all plays a part.

Every USA made Tesla (probably) generate greater profits if sold in USA. Canada can have any leftovers (unlikely for 3/Y) or those from elsewhere (China).

So does USA have excess supply? Probably not as Model Y/3 selling well in USA.

UK/Ireland are supplied from China, Europe as a whole only have China-made Model 3s at present (mine was from Fremont though).

If you want to be sure of a USA-made Tesla, order a Cybertruck. Might be a loooooooong while though.

Waiting might work out if they just want the white interior option. (Other markets supplied by Giga Shanghai have white available as an option, so I don't understand why Canada doesn't.) As far as waiting for a US made one, I would say that isn't likely anytime soon. (Unless demand falls off a cliff.)

If you want to be sure of a USA-made Tesla, order a Cybertruck. Might be a loooooooong while though.
Or a Model S or Model X.

Pepsi is very happy with the Tesla Semi...

Transport drivers and fleet managers stated the Megacharger has helped tremendously with the travel, helping Semis reach 95 percent state of charge within 20 to 30 minutes of charging. They also commented on how comfortable the Semi’s interior is and how easy it is to drive due to the throne’s positioning toward the front of the vehicle.

Mornin all.

Safe travels all.
I think there was was political friction between China and Canada. I try to avoid Chinese made things for the same reason, in the rare instances I have alternatives.

Transport drivers and fleet managers stated the Megacharger has helped tremendously with the travel, helping Semis reach 95 percent state of charge within 20 to 30 minutes of charging. They also commented on how comfortable the Semi’s interior is and how easy it is to drive due to the throne’s positioning toward the front of the vehicle.

Nothing makes sense with the Megacharger power specs and the charge times we get from Pepsi lol

The article doesn't say the normal SoC they start charging at.
Good point. All the angst over range is probably overblown for many use cases.

I watched a video today on 50+ electric bin lorries in Westminster, London (garbage collection vehicles in NA English?). Often they return to the yard with 70% State of Charge after a day's work. Possibly short journeys/slow speeds (but the rubbish gets transported outside the city), but also energy for compacting the rubbish, lifting bins etc. Also, they're not Teslas - so smaller batteries as well.

The article doesn't say the normal SoC they start charging at.

Yes, but none of the data we got so far adds up

Tesla says the Semi chargers 70% in 30 minutes, most likely that is 10-80%, Pepsi and other news says the Megachargers are 750 kW, we also know the Semi should do around 1.7 kWh/mi, so the pack is around 900 kWh

You can't do 10-80% on a 900 kWh battery pack in 30 minutes using a 750 kW charger, you need an AVERAGE power of 1260 kW

Considering it for now uses 2170 cells, it's fair to assume the charging curve is similar to a Model 3/Y, most important that it will follow if at least in higher states of charge

So we are talking about a peak of 2.5 to 2.75 MW

What could make sense is that indeed each of the charging cabinets of the Megacharger are 750 kW, but interlinked like V3 Supercharger, so when there is spare capacity they can be shared between cabinets

Furthermore, look at Giga Nevada Megachargers, 4 cabinets per stall, if they are V3 Cabinets, 350 kW per cabinet, so 1.4 MW per stall without them being linked

But now we got pictures from the Megacharger cabinet installed into Baker, CA, 375 kW output, 4 of these bring it to 1.5 MW, this starts to make more sense for the charging times specified with a slight modified charging curve

1691167915395.png

1691167715030.png

Yes, but none of the data we got so far adds up

Tesla says the Semi chargers 70% in 30 minutes, most likely that is 10-80%, Pepsi and other news says the Megachargers are 750 kW, we also know the Semi should do around 1.7 kWh/mi, so the pack is around 900 kWh

You can't do 10-80% on a 900 kWh battery pack in 30 minutes using a 750 kW charger, you need an AVERAGE power of 1260 kW

Considering it for now uses 2170 cells, it's fair to assume the charging curve is similar to a Model 3/Y, most important that it will follow if at least in higher states of charge

So we are talking about a peak of 2.5 to 2.75 MW

What could make sense is that indeed each of the charging cabinets of the Megacharger are 750 kW, but interlinked like V3 Supercharger, so when there is spare capacity they can be shared between cabinets

Furthermore, look at Giga Nevada Megachargers, 4 cabinets per stall, if they are V3 Cabinets, 350 kW per cabinet, so 1.4 MW per stall without them being linked

But now we got pictures from the Megacharger cabinet installed into Baker, CA, 375 kW output, 4 of these bring it to 1.5 MW, this starts to make more sense for the charging times specified with a slight modified charging curve

View attachment 962205

View attachment 962204
750kW sustained? Pepsi management are using this figure, higher peaks before thermal effects seen as a bonus?

Reactions: GhostSkater

... ya.. but why are the Semi deliveries stalled?

... ya.. but why are the Semi deliveries stalled?
The Giga Nevada facility intended to begin volume production of the Semi was only announced at the start of this year

I’m not sure this expansion has even started yet but others might know